2016 Predictions

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by COMtnGuy, Jan 11, 2016.

1. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO

I like this prediction. I think its hard to see it any other way based on results.

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we're at 13 in 7 so swing and a miss on this one.

I will now say Pablo remains coach through 2016 but does not get a contract renewal in the offseason and a new coach takes over for 2017.

3. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will disagree that Pablo is out after the season. Sure, if the team unravels or something, but expectations are now "Which playoff seed"........I think that Pablo is 'their guy' and was OK with taking the heat for the past two years of sub-par rosters. I sense the new and old rosters are all "in" with Pablo. As is he ex-team mateBravo, who at this early point, seems to have done well with his budget.

We'll see where we are in October.....

R

JasonMa and wormhole repped this.
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess my prediction is based on the fact that I still don't see much more than a "one series and done" playoff team in this group and the sudden apparent willingness of KSE to spend some money on this team. Unless we make a deep MLS Cup run (or a very deep USOC run) I kind of expect Pablo to be given a new title (Director of Academy?) and moved elsewhere in the organization while we go hire a new coach as a higher number.

5. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did the RFO up their goal from being a playoff team every year to being a deep playoff team every year?

I agree the Rapids invested a lot this season to give their guy the best chance to succeed. I'm not so sure they pull the plug and risk another couple rebuild years under a new coach - unless, of course, Pablo outright blows it again. The likelihood of getting a coach who will do things the Rapids' way, with the players they've already invested in, goes down with each dollar spent.

What could force their hand is if Pablo loses the locker room this season regardless of results (as was suggested happened the last couple of years).

JackSwaninCO and JasonMa repped this.
  6. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    The fact that we are doing okay now does not negate the idea that we could do even better with a better coach. That premise only fails if one doesn't believe there are better coaches out there.
    In the area of net minding we are all assuming Howard will be a nice upgrade for us, that doesn't mean he won't make any mistakes or even serve up a complete howler or two but the improvement, and the way he will make other players better should be obvious over time. We've already seen a glimpse of how an impact player like Jones not only plays well but makes others better too, that is a very important 'x-factor'. However the coach may be the ultimate x-factor, doesn't fall under the salary cap, and possibly with genuine talent on the team may be the limiting 'ceiling' even more so than when there isn't much talent (which then sets the limit).

7. commercecity

commercecity Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Commerce City, CO
    Based on the last two coaching changes, I don't think that performance is even a consideration. It seems to me the relationship stuff trumps all and as long as Pablo is loyal the job is his.

I really hope I'm wrong, as I often am.

IndyRapids04, COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I started out 0-5 before I nailed the USOC prediction. We did win one game before getting eliminated.

Howard was arguably the best keeper in MLS but we didn't need him for a playoff push. I'm taking half a point.

Gashi was the Golden Boot winner and 9 is close enough to 11 to count it as accurate. He however was not team MVP so half a point.

Ramirez never returned, I got that right.

This prediction was before the Jones signing so I got that one.

Spencer never took over, miss.

Bravo still has his job, count it.

5 of 12 total overall. Ugh. At least almost all of them I missed because the Rapids were much better than I predicted. That's the way I like to be wrong.

COMtnGuy, AlbertCamus and AvaiBunton repped this.
  9. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Good thing I'm not a bookie. Though the goals scored one was actually fairly close...

10. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I lucked out and didn't make any predictions other than JJ comment.

Would of all been wrong for sure

11. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    When do we start our 2017 predictions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right after our FO returns from their Christmas break so the week before season starts.

fortcollins, 22SteveD, Dom. FC and 5 others repped this.