2016 Predictions

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by COMtnGuy, Jan 11, 2016.

1. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 COMtnGuy, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    Saw this story and we need to get this thread going. Notice there is one "bottom feeder team" they are not predicting to improve this year...

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2016/01/04/10-predictions-for-the-2016-mls-season/

1. More expansion
    2. LA Galaxy will continue to win
    3. Both Sebastian Giovinco and Andrea Pirlo will make Italy’s Euro 2016 squad
    4. Jason Kreis won’t be unemployed for long
    5. TV numbers will be stagnant
    6. Big signings will come in the summer
    7. Toronto will be legit
    8. Chicago will be better
    9. Philadelphia will be strong, too
    10. Mediocrity will continue to be flushed out

2. delpy88

delpy88 Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish number 10 would happen here in Colorado

3. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Interesting article that bodes well for MLS. I read the article with a sinking feeling in my stomach, however. Many of the improvements are passing the Rapids by, I just don't see (any) significant upgrades to keep up with the league. They talk about there being a significant upgrade in players, coaches, and FO throughout the league, yet I see us mostly standing pat with an inexperienced coach and mediocre players. The players may have been great for our 2010 run, but the league is evolving and improving very quickly.

Perhaps Vela would change that, but he is mid-season at best. My guess is PM is on a short leash (2 months max to be a winning team), then they go for someone else. I was sorry to not see us at least mentioned in the Kreis conversation.
    Same with any impact players (other than Vela potential).

So, you can chalk this up to the normal Seattle/LA/NY loving article. Or you can become depressed before the season even starts. I really am hopeful for some good signings in the next week or so. And PM hitting his stride after a lot of work in the off-season. I am the eternal optimist after all! (and not having studied at UW, I am not familiar with so much losing!)

rod.

Jimmydinho, COMtnGuy and jayd8888 repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a lie, I know when you were at Oregon.

COMtnGuy and Rod1916 repped this.
  6. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I don't see any hope. No signings. Nothing.

fortcollins and JasonMa repped this.
  7. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see relentless negativity..., justified negativity but exhausting just the same. I see 4 maybe 5 games attended. I see myself trying to find a glimmer and failing. I see defending players whose potential exists, but whose inexperience can't lift them above the quality of the organization. Always there will be, "what if..."

I've been a part of a failing organization in the past. It's exhausting. Bravo, Hinchey, and Mastroeni... I don't see how they can be this oblivious.

8. AvaiBunton

AvaiBunton Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless something happens in the next 45 days, by which I mean a good striker shows up and the team can upgrade it's outside backs (and possibly resign Figueroa), I don't have too much optimism that this team can compete weekly. But who knows, this is MLS 1.0 still right (at least in CO it is)?? Anything can happen

COMtnGuy, jayd8888 and JasonMa repped this.
  9. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The negatively and lack of belief in the club stems from the lack of a genuine moves that show the club is looking to improve.

Fans, journalists, shit-tier bloggers (Ives), and casual observes all seem to be in general agreement that little to nothing has been done to show that the Rapids are on the right track. It's conventional wisdom at this point.

We (unfortunately) have to keep waiting to see if we sign anybody. Our current roster, plus a few draft picks, is objectively a last place team. There needs to be some pretty significant changes for people's minds to sway.

22SteveD, fortcollins, COMtnGuy and 3 others repped this.
  10. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member+

Jul 6, 2007
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prediction #1; when I hit the Powerball tomorrow night I make an cash offer for the Colorado Rapids that Stan Walton-Kroenke cannot refuse.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prediction #2: @Jimmydinho doesn't win the Powerball tomorrow night. :D

12. AvaiBunton

AvaiBunton Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So basically, I had this thought at lunch, but was too dumb-founded at the draft to write it out.
    Who has the team brought in this off season to improve the overall roster to not be in the running for the wooden spoon again in 2016?
    I honestly can't say Pappa is that player, Azira isn't either, maybe this mystery of Vela/Pulido will come to light soon. But I don't see enough improvement to say, yeah the Rapids will be strong competition (not for the spoon award either)

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    :D

14. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repped in memoriam of Alan Rickman.

15. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Where's Miss USA?

16. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Chicago and Philadelphia helping themselves through trades and drafts, the Spoon is well within the Rapids' reach this year. I'm standing by that prediction until I see the Rapids do something suggesting that they can actually win games.

17. delpy88

delpy88 Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Dead last in the league for the Rapids this year. This owner/front office/coach have no clue how to run a winning franchise

22SteveD, COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  18. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I won $4!!!. Sending Kroenke my cash offer now!!!

19. SUNDROP

SUNDROP Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Grand Junction,CO USA
  20. SUNDROP

SUNDROP Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Grand Junction,CO USA
    Since none of us won Powerball, and can't make Stan a $ offer he can't refuse, anybody got a spare horse's head laying around? (Godfather reference).....

TheLostUniversity and Jimmydinho repped this.
  21. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heck with Stan drooling so much over his LA stadium building, we might just be able to take over the FO and no one at KSE would notice. Heck we can handle a couple of butt dial phone calls at most from the "leadership".

22SteveD and teamed repped this.
  22. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outlook from last year slightly downgraded...

22SteveD, fortcollins and COMtnGuy repped this.
  23. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    We could set a new consecutive loss record this season. I could see us lose 11 in a row from the LA Galaxy game March 12th loosing that game and every subsequent game until they beat Philly May 28th at the Dick.

24. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapids PR department:
    "Come see your record setting Colorado Rapids take on the Philadelphia Union!"

TheLostUniversity and 22SteveD repped this.
  25. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I'll wait until Bravo adds another few goalies and defensive meds (just play 10 of those guys...) before I predict/assume continued strives to "Suck for Luck" in the next years draft. I really do not see Tim Howard as a good place to add. It is the USA, we have tons of goalies here. Why not add what we do not have?

I assume Powers is staying this year, Sarvas will have a better year, St. Ledger and Doyle will hook up, etc. So let's add something we can use, and that fits our style of play.

R

p.s. can someone tell us *what* our style of play is????