2016 Player thread

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Mikey mouse, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2016 is here. Kind of limited news from the Battery concerning player signings.

Shawn Ferguson is back http://charlestonbattery.com/news/all-usl-defender-ferguson-returns-for-2016/

Also not confirmed but alluded to in the article;
    Taylor Mueller
    Emmanuel Adjetey
    Quinton Griffith
    Odisenel Cooper

noticed the Battery put up their 2016 roster page on their website but it isn't populated right now.

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Second "official" signing for the Battery for 2016

Justin Portillo Midfield Metronome Portillo re-signs for 2016

Bare in mind, I'm not 100% sure who is still on contract from last season but its great to have Justin back

3. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Justin and as good as his rookie year was, I think his improvement in year 2 was even greater. The article was well written, (thanks Dan), JP really does do most technical things very well. He's the most complete player we have (so far).

Mikey mouse repped this.
  4. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so any good guess as to who might be back?

Cordoves and Chang are still in the area and both have local girlfriends now.

Prince seems to be still heavily involved and is the POC for the player trials

Savage said he was retiring but has been training the last couple weeks.

Lasso was posted by the Battery on stationary bike a couple weeks ago.

guess I need to do some digging...

5. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no problem if most of them come back, although I wouldn't mind if Prince does more coaching than playing. His strong start to the season didn't last and near the end, he was a liability. We'll definitely need someone(s) to replace Dane. The elder Cuban Martinez would probably be a good start. Since he actually had a contract near the end of the season, wonder if the Battery will make him go thru trials? With so many teams in the league, there's no shortage of folks looking to steal our players (and we should be looking to steal theirs.....like we used to do). The mini-MLS USL teams will be tempting because going to those USL teams means you're only a short step away from getting a shot at making the MLS roster. I'm sure that played into Dane going to KC, don't blame him a bit. Should be a very competitive year, can't wait for it to start.

6. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think anyone Atlanta is looking at, will be here developing this year. I see an impending affiliation with them in our future.

7. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7 Mikey mouse, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    I saw Carlos Bocanegra here in Charleston a couple times last season. With ATL starting in 2017 though I don't see many players here this season.

8. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    auggie was at their first open trial last week, their club president is the connection. He was here more.

9. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't know they were running trials already. I wouldn't be surprised at all if their is a connection all

10. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #11 JBG - Bribe Taker, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    Looks like the weather is going to be cold, windy and maybe rain/sleet. Too bad for the trialists. I remember a couple years ago the weather was bad and the players struggled. Sunday looks clear but cold, might try to come watch that day with a hot beverage.

12. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Went out for a couple hours this morning.
    Prince was on the sidelines
    Blue team had Robert Beebe in goal
    Grey team had Cordovez, Chang, OB, Savage, Portillo, Mueller, Ferguson, Lasso

Also on Grey was a couple Coastal players, Colin Marz and the big right back from last year's trials, Uzo (looks more like a linebacker!)

Also on the Grey was Alfredo Cedeno who trained with the Battery all last season and got a appearance in the West Brom match

there were five other teams but didn't really pick up on any particular players. There were a couple that stood out (#5 on red and a guy on the green) but didn't get names unfortunately

13. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uchenna Uzo is the big Nigerian defender from Coastal, his younger brother just got drafted by Orlando. Saw Patrick Olalere in Starbucks and he said that Uzo stood out and will probably be invited back.

14. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He might push Cooper out of the starting spot

17. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wondering that. I haven't seen any tape of the guy but the thread here on BS he looks like he has been involved at the U17 and U20 levels but seems a bit inconsistent.

definitely will help on the Canadian runs

18. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ricky Garbanzo just post this on his Facebook wall.

Excited to finally find out the schedule for this season! Check it out in this link and see if you can make it! "CharlestonBattery "SecondYearPro

Feliz porque ya se el horario de mi temporada para este año! Fijase en el link y ahí puede ver si ustedes pueden ir para ver buen fútbol!‪#‎CharlestonBattery‬ ‪#‎SegundoAñoProfesional‬

19. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No word (yet) on Cordo, Seba, Obi or the latest Cuban Martinez as well as a few others. I thought Obi had a mediocre year but I wouldn't mind having the rest back, particularly Martinez, he could be another hidden gem.

21. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    both Cordo and Obi were at the trials. Cordo looks pretty good. Obi looked like he just came back from a long winter break, but maybe it was just multiple layers.
    Last I saw on FB Martinez is in Miami but the pics look like he was enjoying the offseason. would love to see him come back but wouldn't be surprised if he got was picked up somewhere else.

I imagine some are still in negotiation. plus I wouldn't be surprised if they want to slow roll the releases to get the most bang out of their buck in regards to press releases....

22. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    another set of trials start today and go through tomorrow. wonder if any other familiar faces will be here for that one?

24. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    some tidbits from the recent article about the invite trials this starting today.

look like Dante is coming back

And ATL is sending three academy players and a Ecuadorian international.
    http://charlestonbattery.com/news/battery-invitation-camp-2016-weekend-preview/

snips from the article
    trials start today at 2pm and conclude Sunday with a match against the College of Charleston

25. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States