News: 2016 Other Teams Discussion thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by pr0ner, Mar 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, Jones. I know, that surprises me as well, he's not always my favorite ;)

Bradley could still be useful - but not starting and definitely not captaining - though he did make a great statement on the muslim ban, that doesn't make him better at passing or decision-making in general.

I guess maybe if other midfield players weren't afraid to take control and bypass Bradley now and then I could deal with him playing as a role player.

benni... and Winoman repped this.
  2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    My son and I kept commenting that Bradley took too many touches, allowing the Serb defense to set up. He just didn't/couldn't move the ball quick enough. Nagbe and Feilhaber tried to move it quickly with one touches and quick passes in traffic, but it wasn't nearly enough. Klejstan also did himself no favors in this game.

Again, this was a B/C team and Altidore and maybe Jones or Bradley would be starting in a meaningful game. As for the rest of the roster, maybe Feilhaber, Birnbaum and Nagbe might make the 23 man roster when the game are for real. Let's see if Friday Arena puts out a different group -- maybe pair Dax and Feilhaber in the middle and give Party Boy a start.

Winoman repped this.
  3. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Bradley okay if you are not counting on him for creativity, though he has made himself vulnerable by losing possession way too easily

I'm also not convinced by Nagbe (he's got moves, but not enough end product) and to some extent by Klejstan (disappears too much against really good teams). Who do we have right now for creativity against a bunkering team? Klejstan or Benny because they'll look for the pass and surround them up top with Wood, Altidore and Pulisic.

Too bad Bruce didn't call in MacNamara. This Honduras game will be a tough one though...the like to sit and counter and play in a very English way...they do well on the road in qualifying.

4. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dax, I fear, lies below the Ralston line

5. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depending on the formation and Dempsey's health, we might also see one of Nagbe, Kljestan or Feilhaber.

This was a schizophrenic CC. Bruce needed to see not only young prospects for the Gold Cup roster, but veterans that'll form the core of the squad for Honduras and Panama. Under a new coach, familiarity with the other players is the only continuity the team will get in these critical qualifiers. A couple friendlies also aren't enough to prepare greenhorns for the expletives and bags of piss they'll be dodging. And Panama will be 10x worse than that. :eek::D

6. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    #1781 benni..., Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    IMO, I think Bradley and Jones excel in similar roles. Box to Box runner. Players like Khediera, Vidal, Radja Naimgolan (sp) etc. They need a steady distributor behind them. Not just a Beckerman either. More like if Will Trapp was actually as good as MLS writers implied beginning of last season.

I don't think the USA has a player like that ready to contribute although I know nothing of Caleb Stanko.

I think Bradley needs the burden of distribution relieved. He needs to be able to step up in midfield. I know Bradley sees himself as a DM, but his play says different.

I know the US will never drop Jozy Altidore, but Bobby Wood has comfortably outplayed him since he became a regular for the NT imo.

edit: "as a DMX" [emoji23] [emoji24]

GumbyG, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  7. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    fatbastard repped this.
  8. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2nd one is funny, 1st is typical low effort

sitruc repped this.
  9. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey - this thread title points to ancient times ........

sitruc repped this.
  10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'm pretty sure I'm on ignore lists of several posters here. I mentioned that a month ago and I was the original to hate the idea of this thread.

fatbastard repped this.
  11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've forgotten everything I knew or read a month ago :)

I like the concept of a thread to discuss teams not DC United, but the title should have to be funny or something at least.

sitruc repped this.
  12. DangSkippy

DangSkippy Member+

Apr 28, 2009
    MoCo Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? Oh, sorry. I thought I heard something. Did anyone else hear something? Maybe it was just the wind . . .

Winoman repped this.
  13. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I thought the 1st one was definitely a low blow, but all is fair when it comes to Internet trolls.

We're going to have to live this one down for years.

There are more if you care. Click the link

14. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    It's been a while since I read through this thread, but I just want to say that Atlanta is putting together a salty roster. If they catch things right, they could make some noise in the playoffs. Their D could be leaky though. I don't know much about their Argentine CB acquisition (Pirez), but Parkhurst is getting slow and Boswell-ish.