News: 2016 Other Teams Discussion thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by pr0ner, Mar 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because DC United has played their first match, and because no one else has created it, here's your 2016 Other Teams thread.

Enjoy!

Winoman and JayRockers! repped this.
  2. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are no other teams. :cool:
    In MLS anyway, I suppose there's the Spirit up there in Gaithersburg, and the Bohemians over there by Baltimore, and the Kickers down in Richmond :)

Winoman and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    ******** soccer. ******** sports. ******** games. ******** it all. It's all ********ing misery.

Winoman repped this.
  4. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    < Optimist thread is that way

5. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
  6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it was good for all the headlines and for academy recruiting last year anyway - these things happen when a marketing company runs a brand instead of a soccer team.
    Poor kids ;) Can't feel too bad, they went to Jersey on purpose, but I thought there had been some sort of stipulation to teams when they convince their kids to sign with them that they had to honor some sort of commitment to the kids. I thought that's why we hung onto Shanosky for so long, but then we've always cared more for people/players than some other teams north of us who wear red and white and blue.

Winoman and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  7. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The most MLS trade of all time

707296008934285312 is not a valid tweet id

8. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    ...per MLS and team policy, terms not announced.

Winoman and benni... repped this.
  9. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't there already a MLSopoly for Garberbuck trade last week?

james

Alejandro 10 and jason1551 repped this.
  10. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Earlier today I had heard that Chick-Fil-A (the anti-gay, pro-discrimination fast-food company with delicious chicken and lemonade) was coming on as a sponsor for the LA Galaxy. You may remember them from the other night; besides winning regular season games and losing MLS Cups to us, they also employ the only major league sport openly gay athlete, Robbie Rogers.
    Seemed like it made no sense for the Gals to take their money to me ......

Robbie's response on facebook:

Chick-Fil-A... I look forward to the day where I am not the only professional soccer player that addresses these issues in our league, I prefer my actions to speak rather than making statements but The LA Galaxy have been extremely supportive of me and my family. Although I don’t support or eat Chick-Fil-A, I do support my club and have since I was a young boy. Hopefully this partnership will be educational and the LA Galaxy, who are very inclusive and diverse, can have a positive influence on Chick-Fil-A. xRR

Interesting, if not disrespectful sponsor (did I mention they have awesome lemonade? And a darn good chocolate shake - but horrible politics?)

Winoman and benni... repped this.
  11. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    So being supported by a pyramid scheme got too hot for them?

12. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    What's the current exchange rate for Garberbucks to the dollar? Are they publically traded anywhere?

13. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a top level executive with those views, the company stopped donating money in 2012. I haven't heard any stories of gays being refused service or murdered for stepping foot on the property.

People love to pretend to care about rights by not buying a chicken sandwich but have no problem putting on those Nikes to go to a different eatery.

14. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I haven't worn Nikes in centuries. The only reason I don't go to Chick-Fil-A is because they are closed on Sundays and the only thing worthwhile on their menu is their shakes.

15. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, that was nice and human of them, and it's the guy who runs the company and he still gives the same amount of $$ from his increase in the profits form the company with his next compensation package instead of it being from the company - cost him slightly more in taxes but it was a good PR move.

I'll still eat there but I don't do it as often as I would with him not being the owner/director. No one else has good lemonade or [boneless] chicken that's as good. The no-Sundays thing kills me the most as that seems to be when I'm near one and hungry the most.

Also, I did not get the impression they were replacing Herbalife - but maybe they are, maybe Herbalife's pyramid-scheme lawsuit is taking all their cash and they don't need to launder it through sponsorships any more.

Winoman and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  16. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just saying 99.9% of the people who work there probably don't give a ******** who you are. People label the company as you did when in reality it's one guy. Unless the COMPANY is openly refusing service or refusing to hire people of a certain sexual preference I don't think you can label the COMPANY that way. The COMPANY is mostly made up of people like you or me trying to support themselves and/or their family. They don't give 8 shits about politics they just need a paycheck.

17. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And they do a heck of a job. I am not often impressed with service and quality in today's world, but my experiences have put it as the top fast food experience, it's not even close. They are fast, accurate, and very polite. I think if we go to Mars, we should have Chik Fil A run the program.

I don't mind if people want to not go there, for whatever reason, and I don't mind if people decide to go there, as long as everyone is respectful about it. Most of the things that happened around that controversy were pretty discouraging from people on both "sides" of that issue.

And has been pointed out here many times before, it's almost impossible to live a blameless corporate patron life, so there's no need to freak about people's choices.

Thank FB for pointing out that story, because it's a really interesting one on a lot of levels.

JRHokie, Winoman, pr0ner and 2 others repped this.
  18. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    High ranking employees show no sense of responsibility to those they lead. Like anyone else they are free to have any political views they want but if they are responsible they realize that being out front on highly controversial issues is a risk to all of the people who work for the company.

Winoman and nobletea repped this.
  19. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I'll never knowingly give bigots my money and if that means that the poor schleps who happen to work there suffer, sorry.

EDIT: ******** the Galaxy.

griffin1108 repped this.
  20. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    To be a little more precise, it was the son of the founder of the company, whose title is president and chief operating officer, not just a top level executive.
    And since the company has stopped donating to anti-gay organizations, it seems to me that the boycott and/or bad publicity had the desired effect.

asitis

21. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    In my opinion it is the lemonade, since you didn't ask. :whistling:

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  22. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Kaka injured on national team duty for Brazil.

Poor ML.... i mea. ORLANDO

23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I guess this means you don't watch MLS.

24. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he was injured this week, which is why he didn't play v RSL and replaced on the Brazil squad?

sitruc and benni... repped this.
  25. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Im stupid. You're right.

He disnt deserve a call up anyway