2016 Olympic Games [R]

Discussion in 'Iraq' started by Suren01, May 31, 2016.

1. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Post everything regarding the upcoming Olympic football tournament in this topic.

2. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Is Ayman Hussein in the squad?

3. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    He is included in the squad, yes.

4. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    I don't see him in the preliminary squad that Iraqilambo posted though. Also who is Ali Akla? Never heard of him.

5. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Ayman is recalled by the coach. He is recovering from his injury
    Ali Akla is a player from DVS '33, an amateurteam in Holland..

6. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Nigeria U23 2-6 Denmark U23 :eek:

7. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    I wonder if anyone in the FA has actually watched Ali Akla play, or if they are calling him up simply because he plays in Holland.

Suren01 repped this.
  8. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    I don't understand why Rebin Asaad wasn't picked. A talented attacking midfielder. We have tons of wingers in this squad already..

Anyway, 18 players will be picked. 2 of them will be GK's so 16 field players. Hopefully good choices will be made.

Kroosinator repped this.
  9. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    God knows how he became a football player.. That shows the weakness of Shahad. Holding on to useless players like Hameed and Nadhim.

Iraqipower repped this.
  10. Iraqilambo

Iraqilambo Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Saad Abdul Amir will be the Captain for the olympic team. Good choice IMO, but I'd rather have Ali Adnan with the armband since I think Ali is the best choice for captaincy with the national team after Younis.

Ereshkigal and Suren01 repped this.
  11. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Saad Abdul-Amir as captain is a good choice. Nothing to complain about.

I wonder who will be dropped and taken to Rio. Only 18 players (2 of them GK's) can be picked.

12. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    I didn't know this but:

• Iraq has qualified one judoka for the men's half-middleweight category (81 kg) at the Games. Hussein Al-Aameri earned a continental quota spot from the Asian region as the highest-ranked Iraqi judoka outside of direct qualifying position in the IJF World Ranking List of May 30, 2016.
    • Iraq has qualified one boat in the men's single sculls for the Olympics at the 2016 Asia & Oceania Continental Qualification Regatta in Chungju, South Korea. Mohammed Jasim Al-Khafaji is going to participate in it
    • Iraq has received an invitation from the Tripartite Commission to send a women's 10 m air rifle shooter to the Olympics. Zainab Jumaah is going to participate.
    • Iraq has qualified one male weightlifter for the Rio Olympics by virtue of a top seven national finish at the 2016 Asian Championships.[3] The team must allocate this place by June 20, 2016.

Iraqipower, Ereshkigal and Iraqilambo repped this.
  13. Ereshkigal

Ereshkigal Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Saad is a fantastic man to bear the armband. I'm really happy for him.

Iraqipower and Suren01 repped this.
  14. Iraqilambo

Iraqilambo Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    This is the Olympic Team's schedule before they head to Brazil:

June 18 - vs Santa Coloma (semi pro spanish club) in Barcelona

June 26 - vs Zenit st. Petersburg in Austria

July 2nd - vs Kalmar FF in Sweden

July 13 - vs Algeria U23 in Algers

July 17 - vs Algeria U23 in Algers

Some very strong friendlies for the team and should really prepare the team for the Olympics.

15. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Soccer clubs are under no obligation to allow their players to play in the Rio Olympic men’s tournament, FIFA said Friday.

“The event is not part of the international match calendar,” FIFA said in a press release. “However, FIFA is asking for support from the clubs to allow players who are called up by their national teams to be given the chance to be part of the Olympic experience.”

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2015/...s-clubs-soccer-rio-2016-qatar-2022-world-cup/

16. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Iraq Olympic will play a friendly against South Korea Olympic in Brazil.

17. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Selfish move? It's selfish to bring another LB when we have Ali Adnan for the Olympics and no proper LB for the senior team.

I don't know what'll happen to Husni. Hopefully he will be released..

18. Iraqilambo

Iraqilambo Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Ali Adnan is a left winger for Iraq. He's wasted as a full back with the national team. It's not unusual for players to play different positions between national team/club teams.

Ali Husni is going to the Olympics for sure.

19. iraqiwarrior

iraqiwarrior Member

Mar 25, 2016
    news spreading around that they are going to let durgham play

20. Iraqilambo

Iraqilambo Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I had no idea this was the case. Hopefully Rize reconsider.

Humam is reportedly heading to Bursaspor. Hopefully it doesn't stop him from going to rio. He may not be our best player, but he plays with heart every game and he can be very important for us.

Suren01 repped this.
  21. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Representing your country at the Olympics is something people dream of and very few people are lucky enough to get that chance. Rizespor are denying Dhurgham that opportunity meaning he may never get a chance to represent Iraq at the Olympics again, when Dhurgham isn't even a guaranteed starter at their club. I can understand why they did it obviously but it's pretty selfish to deny a young player such an opportunity. And what's selfish about calling up two LBs? Nothing wrong with calling up the best team possible. We may not qualify for an Olympics for a long time after this, let's make the most of it and call up the strongest players. The senior team should be fine for the WCQs, the Olympics will be a great experience for them as well.

22. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Preparations for the WCQ's (which are far more important) are going on at the same time. The coach should take that into account when selecting the players.

I would rather see new faces at the Olympics. Don't get me wrong, I think it's an important tournament but the World Cup is our number 1 goal and I don't want to waste another campaign.

Kurdii110 repped this.
  23. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    I understand your point but I'm pretty sure it will be fine. Lots of the Olympics players will be in the senior team so they will be well prepared playing with each other and it will keep them fit as well - a player like Dhurgham will be fit anyway seeing as he plays at a European club where fitness will be no doubt considered very important, not to mention that Dhurgham already has a lot of experience with Iraq so missing one training camp shouldn't make too much difference especially if he is staying fit by playing at the Olympics with fellow senior team players. I would like us to call the strongest squad possible for the Olympics and the experience will help some of the younger players in WCQ as well should they be picked.

24. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Remember 2004? We did well in the Olympics but messed up our World Cup campaign. The Olympic tournament is a prestigious tournament with history, but at the same time it's about preparing a new generation for the future.

25. iraqiwarrior

iraqiwarrior Member

Mar 25, 2016
    Guys calm down rizepor is going to let durham play, this has been official for some time now.