2016 New York Cosmos match thread.

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by nanoGVSP, Mar 27, 2016.

1. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I figured it's about that time to get this thread going...
    Really looking forward to Sunday's game, if it's anything like the last time these two met it'll be a hell of a game. Hoping for a good turnout, if the weather cooperates we should have close to 8k, but it's a Sunday so who knows?

brentgoulet repped this.
  2. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Match preview:
    http://www.empireofsoccer.com/match-preview-new-york-cosmos-vs-ottawa-fury-fc-46470/
    Not sure what to expect from Ottowa, their entire team has changed. One the other hand Cosmos will have a potent mid, can't wait to see how Gio sets them up. Where is Kranjcar playing? Where does Arango play? Do they play together? And who gets the nod at fwd?
    The only downer yet again is the weather, it's supposed to be cold and even raining and or snowing. That just really ticks me off!! Been waiting for this day why couldn't we gat some sun and 60's?? Don't think we'll have a good crowd with that forecast. At the end of the day I'll be happy w 3 points.

brentgoulet repped this.
  3. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

4. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm surprised he's starting Moffat over Lahoud and has Freeman at CB instead of Ochieng. I wonder who's gonna help Moffat more Arango or Kanjcar? Up top I'm not surprised to see Arieta, Lucky could have started as well. I hope we get to see Duk get a run.

5. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that's just my guess. Moffat would allow Kranjcar and Arango freedom to create. Lahoud or Szetela could play that role too. Freeman was at CB a bit in preseason. I could see Ochieng there, Freeman at RB and Farfan on the bench as well. It will be interesting to see what Gio goes with. I do think we will see 4-1-4-1 though

In my guess version the bench would be Zobeck, Ochieng, Bover, Lahoud, Szetela, Lucky, Duk

6. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3-0 Cosmos over Ottawa. The game was much closer than the score. Nice to see Arango play the poacher and Moffat show composure on a beautifully taken opportunistic distance goal.

7. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    What actually ended up cutting Arrieta btw?

9. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steele. Jonny Steele.

FootySkeptic repped this.
  10. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    My thought about the game, I wasn't very impressed with Arango, he's pass completion % was below par IMO, he happened to be at the right place at the right time for both goals, plus he missed a gimme at the beginning of the second half, I can't be down on him though, he did what he needed to do in the box. Niko looked good out there, the guy's got class. Seba looks good and strong, he's improving every year. I was surprised to see Okford start over Ochieng, I guess he's more familiar with the system. Okford was solid though. Jimmy as usual made some key saves. Back four looked good. Fury didn't really challenge much in the second half. I'd like to see More of Niko and Duk out there. Good game on a cold, cold , cold night.

11. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okford looked shaky at times to me... End of the day putting the ball in the back of the net is what counts. There were plenty of times in the past where we had problems doing that consistently. I will say the depth of the team is what I'm most impressed with and the speed... And we have yet to see the fastest starting line-up.

nanoGVSP repped this.
  12. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Forgot to mention Bover, that kid has improved, has speed and operates well in tight spaces. Looking forward to a fun season.

Sam U El repped this.
  13. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We seem to have good depth, which we will need during the Open Cup. Hopefully we can keep Niko at least through the duration of our Cup run (which hopefully lasts until we raise the Cup itself).

Sam U El repped this.
  14. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A nice 2-0 result, though again closer than the score would suggest. Only 3,685 attendance to see this great team.

nanoGVSP repped this.
  16. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Cold Sunday night game yet again, as I said before playing in Hofstra doesn't help us, but a cold Sunday night kills attendance.
    As for the game, it was a tougher match than las Armada actually took it to us in the first 15 to 20 minutes, they controlled the game. Later o you could see the fight for the midfield was tough. Niko and Arango were not having such a good game, then Arieta saved the half with a rocket. Second half Coamos looked much better, Niko and Arango hooked up to set up the second goal. We dominated and the score could have been more lopsided. The o my downer is Bover's injury, hope he's back next week. Good tough game, cold as hell tho.

17. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could focus on the phantom penalty to Indy that changed the game or the defense collapsing when Mendes was subbed for Farfan but I think we what we saw was a meltdown that the team has appeared to be on the brink at points of during the first two matches. Without Carlos in to stabilize it fell apart.

The reality is this is a team of many new players that is still gelling. There is a lot of talent, most of it in midfield. The defense is older and thin in depth. I worry about next week vs Minnesota. Double so if Mendes joins Roversio on the sideline. A Freeman-Ockford or Ockford-Ochieng central defense pairing is concerning against a powerful attack.

Still great new pieces especially Niko and Arrieta. 6 points from 9 isn't bad but the next two weeks will be tough.

Bklyn Royals Fan repped this.
  18. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is how it feels to be stunned and depressed:(, Indy pulled a "Cardiac Cosmos" and took advantage of our poor composure at the end.

I liked Guenzatti on the right, he will be more dangerous once as he polishes his finishing. Zobeck is a capable backup for Maurer. Niko will be a better contributor with 90min fitness.

Personally, I would focus on the defense losing its composure (Gio said this too) after the bad pk call, Gio should be pissed. This is one of those 'teaching moments' for our defensive unit.

Next two games with Carolina and Minnesota will be tough, the spring season is truly a sprint! I think our defensive line will be OK.

nanoGVSP repped this.
  19. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I didn't see the entire game only until Nikos goal, The stream was crappy. From highlights I saw looks like we had a meltdown defensively and the mid as well. Nothing we could do about it now. We got two very important games coming up, this is the season here. If we get at least 4 out of 6 we're still in it, if we get 6 we are in great shape. With that said Cosmos need to focus in Minn and how to defend those guys. Hoping for a win...and a better stream.

Sam U El repped this.
  20. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man another loss in dramatic fashion. It was a deserved victory for Minnesota, they continued an all out attack with 10 men. Niko was lucky he didn't get the 2nd yellow. The EOS twitter feed couldn't tell "which team was playing with 10 men" and I agree.

nanoGVSP and Sam U El repped this.
  21. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Last couple of years the "Cardiac Cosmos" would have pulled at least a point from this game. Now I'd say we got one foot out of contention for the spring championship. This next game is a must win!

22. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    We got a raw deal yet again with the weather, never the less I was there, and I'm glad I went. It was a great game, both teams were going back and forth. Carolina did not sit back and wait to counter like most do, they took it to the Cosmos from first whistle. However quality helped the Cosmos stay in the game otherwise Carolina would have killed it early. Niko looked great with the ball at his feet, hope he's okay. Arango looks out of sorts more often then not, he just doesn't run much, however on set pieces he's a danger. Orozco looked like a player, very confident on the ball and running the entire game. Seba could have score in the first half but just didn't have the quality, he did play a good game tho. Arieta ran his a$$ off and created chances.As usual the defense looked good, Farfan is looking good back there.
    Good three points, we stay in the race. BTW thank goodness for Jimmy back there.

23. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jimmy has been huge this season so far, hope we can keep him next year.