2016 NCAA Women's Soccer College Cup - Final Four

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by MiLLeNNiuM, Nov 26, 2016.

1. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Place: Avaya Stadium, San Jose, CA
    TV: ESPNU

Semi-Finals Date: Dec. 2, 2016
    Match 1: #2 North Carolina vs. #1 West Virginia
    Time: 5:00 PM ET
    Match 2: #2 Univ. of S. Calif. vs. #2 Georgetown
    Time: 7:30 PM ET

Final Date: Dec. 4, 2016
    Time: 6:00 PM ET

Good luck to the 4 remaining teams.

2. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Let the Games Begin.

Four teams remain:

Georgetown vs. USC (Big East vs. Pac 12, East Coast vs. West Coast)

UNC vs. West Virginia (Tobacco vs. Moonshine)

MiLLeNNiuM and MRAD12 repped this.
  3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I am pulling for USC. I like the coach and style they play.

I would also like to see Morgan Andrews get a NCAA Championship ring.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  4. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto.

5. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    The least compelling match-up in the Final would be Georgetown vs. West Virginia.

Georgetown vs. UNC would feel more like a "David vs. Goliath" match, simply because Anson Dorrance is Goliath.
    West Virginia's coach hasn't even been to the College Cup before.

There's a reason why the odds were higher for teams like UNC and FSU to get to the College Cup.
    Coaches who know how to get there certainly rule the history of this sport on the women's collegiate side.

Georgetown is definitely the "David" of these teams.

USC winning would be fine.
    Morgan Andrews is one of my Top 25 players to ever play in college.
    Her comeback story would be one for the ages. Two-time Gatorade National High School Player of the Year, starts off somewhat underwhelming at Notre Dame, transfers to USC, and ends with a Bang.

But you know, somewhere out there, Anson is lurking, and you know his odds.
    He has never had a 4-year player that has not won at least one National Title there.
    That streak is on the line in this College Cup.

So we've got the whole UNC mystique thing.
    USC with Morgan Andrews and her story.
    West Virginia getting here for the first time.
    And a true "David" in Georgetown (non Power-5 Conference team).

So many interesting turns this plot can move toward as it thickens in dramatic anticipation.

6. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! Interesting stat.

7. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    It seems to me that this is the lowest number of #1 seeds (1) to make it to the CC in a while. Anyone know for sure?

8. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    I said on another thread I picked Georgetown as the best non-P5 team so I'm sticking with them. Dave Nolan is very good and he should either get paid to stay or go after this season. Don't know if any current openings interest him though.
    WVU is my other rooting interest. Let's share some College Cup love and have a brand new Champ! Plus while WVU may not be the RPI underdog, they certainly are in terms of reputation, academics, location, etc. among this group. There was no way those Dukies were going to go to Morgantown, WV and play well enough to win that game. I wonder how many of those Duke kids, or kids from any of these other 3 final-four teams, didn't even return Nikki Izzo's calls or emails because it was 'West Virginia'. She's done awesome with the Mountaineers and is finally getting rewarded in the tournament after many years of hard work. COY for sure, even if they don't advance.

Too bad so many of us aren't going in person. Who can fly West for the final 4 and convention? Not me but I will be watching live.

9. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    2010 College Cup.
    Stanford was the only #1 seed.

Notre Dame won it all that year as a #4 seed from their bracket (they beat Stanford in the Final).
    Ohio State was a #3 seed.
    Boston College was a #2 seed.
    Stanford was the only #1 seed in the College Cup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_NCAA_Division_I_Women's_Soccer_Tournament

10. European football fan

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'm not a Duke fan, but they played very well against WV. Considering the 2 crossbars and their injuries I think they should have won.
    But I agree with u it is nice to have WV in the CC. They are the ultimate underdogs.

11. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Stanford, Duke (if they were healthy), and Florida State have more international/professional talent than anyone.
    None of these three teams made it to the College Cup.

In terms of individual talent at this College Cup .... West Virginia, USC, and North Carolina are virtually equal.
    Georgetown has the least international/professional talent here, but they do have Corboz.

Kadeisha Buchanan is the best overall talent here at this College Cup (and in the entire NCAA tournament).
    Morgan Andrews is the best overall "domestic" talent at this College Cup.

Anson Dorrance is the best coach here.

Georgetown doesn't have a Kadeisha Buchanan, Morgan Andrews, or Anson Dorrance to rely on.
    They are the true underdogs here in terms of lack of individual talent, or big name coach.
    It would be quite the story if they go on to win this thing.

I consider the WCC a power conference in women's soccer.
    So if Georgetown wins, they are the first from a lower level conference to win it since George Mason.

12. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Very good take as usual, but "best coach here"? If you mean most experienced and decorated coach here, than clearly there's no question. But how is UNC "relying" on AD to gain some advantage these other coaches don't have?

Here's what UNC has that WVU and Georgetown don't - the weight of MASSIVE Pressure and Expectation, really even regardless of roster strength and season results. UNC is facing its first 4-year drought of an NCAA Title....ever! WVU and Gtown especially, and maybe USC to some degree, are in total bonus territory and have nothing to lose.

So, h0w do you measure the advantage of coaching in a Final 4? Experience counts for sure but in terms of tactical preparation, adjustments in the game, and handling the team mojo/confidence, is the AD factor really that big? Is that coaching advantage bigger than the World Cup experience of WVU's Canadians? Maybe someone can tell us which roster has the most capped players and how many total caps? I'm guessing that's WVU and I'll take that team to win.

13. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    #13 WWC_Movement, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    Penn State will be your #1 preseason favorite next year, even though the rankings won't reflect it.
    The preseason rankings always go off of how you finished from the previous year.
    But no team in the nation in 2017 will have more individual talent than Penn State.

2017 Penn State
    F - Frankie Tagliaferri (Fr.)
    F - Frannie Crouse (Sr.)
    F - Megan Schafer (Sr.)
    F - Emma Thomson (Fr.)
    MF - Shea Moyer (Fr.)
    MF - Charlotte Williams (Jr.)
    MF - Emily Ogle (Jr.)
    MF - Haleigh Echard (Sr.)
    MF - Marissa Sheva (Jr.)
    D - Ellie Jean (So.)
    D - Brittany Basinger (Sr.)
    D - Kaleigh Riehl (So.)
    D - Maddie Elliston (Jr.)
    D - Elizabeth Ball (Sr.)
    GK - Rose Chandler (Jr.)
    GK - Amanda Dennis (So.)

This team is 2013/2014 UCLA like.
    Tagliaferri is probably equal as a striker as a freshman as Taylor Smith was in her sophomore year at UCLA.
    Crouse is much better than Darian Jenkins in production (goal scoring), and probably just as clutch as Lavrusky.
    The Penn State defense in 2017 rivals the UCLA defense of 2013/2014 in terms of NWSL prospects.
    Emily Ogle is different but absolutely equal in importance to Sam Mewis for her team.
    Rose Chandler has every bit as much raw talent as Katelyn Rowland.

In fact, the 2017 Penn State team has more youth national team experience than the 2013/2014 UCLA teams.
    This Penn State team is scary good next year.
    Maybe the most talented team (equal but more depth than UCLA) since the legendary 2008 UNC team.

Yeah, that team.
    The one with Tobin Heath, Casey Nogueira, Allie Long, Meghan Klingenberg, Ashlyn Harris, Whitney Engen, Yael Averbuch, Nikki Washington, Jessica McDonald, Rachel Givan, Kristi Eveland, Merritt Mathias, Rachel Wood, and Courtney Jones.

All of those players played in WPS and/or NWSL except for Rachel Givan who had injury problems.
    She may have been their best raw defender (before injuries), even better than Whitney Engen.
    And Eveland was virtually as fast as Kadeisha Buchanan. That cheetah (girl) could run like Ally Courtnall at times.
    The fastest blonde defender in NCAA history. :D

If I remember right, she had the fastest clocked time in UNC soccer history during one of their sprints.
    She was faster than Jessica McDonald and Nikki Washington on that team.

[​IMG]

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  14. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Because Anson has faced this type of pressure before 20+ other times, but always seems to find a way to win it.
    The College Cup is a different animal than the rest of the NCAA tournament, and certainly the regular season.

He knows how to prepare his players for this atmosphere, better than anyone.
    The intangibles (off the field) always favor Anson here. He just knows how to get his team focused and motivated.
    He keeps them on track, and they expect to win. They're all about business. They're not just happy to be here.
    I can't guarantee that Georgetown will or won't be anything more than just happy to be here.

A lot of the time, teams like this go to their Final Four of a major sport, and then their historic run ends because they know they've already exceeded expectations. I'm not saying Georgetown will have this happen to them. However, history shows it "might".

There's no guarantee UNC will win another National Title here.
    The 2012 team had more pressure on them to win for Anson, because of the health situation that his wife was in.
    They knew they had to get it done for him. And they did.

Will this same team have a chip on their shoulder?
    They all committed to UNC to win a National Title, like everyone else has done before them.
    They know this is their only chance to keep that streak alive.

Pressure? Yes, certainly.
    But in terms of Adrenalin to win? They will have it in bucket loads.
    Anson knows how to get the most out of his players in this environment. He has proven that time & time again.
    And that certainly counts for "something" in this College Cup.

15. European football fan

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I do not know how much pressure UNC has. They were not supposed to make the Sweet 16. Everybody said this was a down year. Even Anson said that he did not know what to expect from this team. They also lost their highest ranked freshman due to injury. UNC has not won a CC or has made it one since 2012. So everything from here is a bonus. I know that UNC not supposed to be an underdog, but this year they are might be.
    Regarding the Anson factor. He is a genius. He had to change the line up just before the ACC tournament. He plays Abby and Maya as forwards. They used to be holding MFs. They can fight every 50-50 balls and can slow down the opposition build up. UNC has 4 clean sheets in the NCAA tourney so far. Most of the goals were scored by the MFs and Madi. In middle of the games Madi comes in as a true left attacking wing player which so far confused all the opponents. I would describe this line up as the old pressure system on steroids. It is not necessary always pretty, but works. Something like the old Atletico Madrid. I'm not sure what he can pull out from his pocket for the CC. But for sure UNC has a big advantage to have him.

16. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Mm great job for sure but she has some advantages and WVU regarding recruiting. WVU is CONSIDERABLY cheaper than a lot of other schools that compete for championships. That may not matter for a full ride kid and you are right there, but if you are offered 50% at duke and 50% at West Virginia it is way more affordable to take the second option. Money talks and that financial advantage allows her to compete with some of the best.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  17. theguru

theguru Member

May 7, 2008
    The games not being in Cary NORTH CAROLINA makes it all equal. It was quite an advantage to be basically playing a home game in the college cup don't you think?
    All 4 teams are very well coached.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  18. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #18 MiLLeNNiuM, Nov 27, 2016
    You had to know you were going to get a REP for this post!!!

Heck, I would double and triple REP it, if I could. :D:D:D

19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #19 MRAD12, Nov 27, 2016
    At the 2009 College Cup it was 3 players that defeated one of the best teams Notre Dame ever had, Casey Nogueira, Tobin Heath and Kristi Eveland who played lights out defense, and yes, you are right, what speed.
    I thought Carrie Dew was a better defender, but not in that game.

It's a shame we didn't see more of Kristi Eveland going forward into the National Team picture.

20. European football fan

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    How about UCLA, Stanford and UNC?

21. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I will miss the Notre Dame / North Carolina College Cup rivalries.
    Randy, why did you have to leave? :cry:

22. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    UCLA will be a clear cut contender IMO and should be the #1 Pugh, Canales, Sanchez, Rodriguez and another Canadian to join Fleming and Co.

23. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    BTW...this is a College Cup Final four thread....USC over Geargetown....WVU over UNC....USC beats WVU

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  24. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I would like that.

25. theguru

theguru Member

May 7, 2008
    Georgetown over Southern Cal

West Virginia over North Carolina

Georgetown over West Virginia (unless it snows in San Jose) then I'll take WVU

I wish the games were in NC though