2016 MLS SuperDraft

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There not "in" till they agree to come. We've drafted players before that said--no thanks

2. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ktsd repped this.
  3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the state of the draft as it is now, it's more that teams are saying "no thanks".

4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's it. The only ones listed are the GAs and the seniors that signed with MLS prior to the draft.

5. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yikes.

6. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One chose the seminary, another chose law school (can't fault him for that), others chose to take their chances abroad. Better to predict who is not going to stick beforehand than draft and hope for the best.

7. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chase Hilgenbrink wasn't a draft pick, I think we got him from Colorado or something. He had played in Chile before. He was a decent defender, a useful player, but not really an irreplaceable part. He left mid-season to enter the seminary.

Back in the day, Tampa Bay wasted the #1 pick on Mike Fisher, who had no plans to turn pro and instead went to med school. You think they would have checked with him first.

And don't forget Shalrie Joseph, who didn't end up playing for us until a year after he was drafted.

8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    In the Super/Supplemental-drafts, very few actually.

There was one I can recall - Shaun Tsakiris, who we didn't agree to come in until a few years later. And then he turned out to be less than hoped/expected.

There was also Jeremiah White, a 3rd rounder who wanted to try his luck in Europe.

And, Mike Videira.

Funny thing is, we (I?) had high expectations for all of them, yet when we actually did have each of them in several years after being drafted and none of them showed very much.

I'm sure there are a few others, that I can't remember. There were a few late-rounders who chose to stay in school to finish up, then never ended up giving it a shot (or did, but came and went quietly after graduation).

9. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...st-different-philosophies-2016-mls-superdraft

I am not personally agreeing with this at all. This is what Jeremy hall did stay more at home. Woodbury got forward too with Teirney and that helped in our attack and possession and variety of attack.

Of course I don't personally even agree with this author's premise it may just be his opinion If he has info with how McCrary plays or how Heaps plan to use him, then I disagree with this pick and that he will be a Day 1 starter.

New England Revolution -- The thing about having a left back like Chris Tierney who loves to push up so high is that you often can't do the same exact thing on the other side. Symmetry is not automatically advantagious.

Jordan McCrary is the anti-Tierney. He can overlap, but doesn't really love to do it, and is much more of an asset on the defensive side of the ball rather than in attack. Given New England's needs, it's not crazy to see him as a Day 1 starter.

10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it may not be crazy to see him as a starter because of the alternatives. Woodberry, maybe Hall if they invite him back, who else, Darius Barnes? A whole lot of mediocre, so if McCrary is up for it, it could happen. Color me pleasantly surprised if he does turn into a worthy starter, but I am not expecting it.

11. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same old story.

We tried to trade up in the draft, but at the end of the day, we're happy with what we have at #10...

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little more info on the topic here:
    Assessing the Offseason: Are the Timbers Better or Worse?
    By Chris Rifer
    Jan 18, 2016
    Stumptown Footy

14. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this pick, looks like he gives us something we don't have namely a big, strong forward and from the highlights he looks has pretty good agility. He don'ts have a great strike rate, but he does have a good number assists which would suggest he can hold up and pass the ball pretty well.

15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Other than Sean Okoli?

16. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    List of all SuperDraft selections from mlssoccer.com

Four teams passed on at least one pick.

17. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh!... I seam to always forget about him, but still we don't have a lot of size and strength on our roster in general.

18. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs Academy product Mitchell Taintor picked by TOR in round 3.

19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

20. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Revs didn't make any blockbuster picks, but they got nice value from the spots where they were picking based on some of the predraft rankings. According to Ives, we got the best RB and the 4th and 6th best wingers.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110...ng-down-the-2016-mls-draft-talent-by-position

I've seen a lot of recognition for Gamble. No doubt he's small, but a lot of people seem to think he could be an exciting player out on the wing.

21. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dncm, NFLPatriot, ToMhIlL and 1 other person repped this.
  22. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Great story. Fate was also kind to him. His adoptive parents are to be praised for their caring and diligence. They saved him. Looks like the Rev's might have found someone special here.