2016 MLS Draft

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Baysider, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Since we haven't yet given away our #1 pick yet I figured we might as well have a thread.

Not a lot of chatter so far, but here's the first "big board" I've seen.

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-articles/2016-mls-draft:-big-board-v-10_aid38483

12 is higher than we usually pick but probably still not high enough to get a GA player. I think Brandon Vincent would be ideal but there's little chance he would fall to us. Now that we've picked up Steres the need for a defender is less, but I still think it would be a reasonable choice. Or perhaps a 6 or 8.

2. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see us pick up the best #6 possible in the draft. That's a position of need and it's one you can usually find in the draft. Polster was a 7th pick.

Ideally we could trade some of our dead wood to move up. I wouldn't even be opposed to including someone like Magnato in a deal.

3. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've also got both Grady Howe and Javan Torre graduating from UCLA this year and they both may be in line for HG contracts.

I've not heard much about either in their tenures but Howe was a four year starter at UCLA and captain this year. He's a #6 so he may be a good option, but I don't know how good he is. I think I may post in the UCLA forum and get some feedback about him.

Javan Torre I don't think ever really was a standout but is a centerback and right fullback who would probably isn't good enough to sign with the first team but may be a G2 option.

If we're going to trade up in the draft, it looks like a lot of the top prospects are foreign, so moving Maganto, as @SoCalYid said, would make sense. I also would look to potentially move Gargan, who at $125k is an expensive backup to AJ. Plus you've got to hope Sorto makes the move to full fledged backup this year. Plus, looking at rosters around the league, there are a lot of teams very low on defenders. Chicago immediately comes to mind.

Actually, Philadelphia may be a good destination for Gargan. They only have 13 players under contract (3 defenders, one of which is Maurice Edu) and Gargan is from Philly. Philly has two first round draft picks so perhaps we could work out a Gargan + #12 for #6 (or #3) if there is someone we have our eye on.

4. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Torre had one of the worst performances I've seen in a USYNT shirt a few years back. I was curious not too long ago to see how he was getting on but apparently he hasn't improved much. I'm not sure what's the deal with him right now.

Grady Howe was captain of our youth team and this past season was captain for the Bruins, so he must be doing something right. He's a DM so on that alone it might be worth it.

5. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Grady Howe seems like an impressive guy but maybe not an impressive soccer player. Academic all-conference for three years, team captain, played significant time all four years. On the other hand, as a senior he didn't even make 3rd team all pac-12. Given that he's an econ major and comes from Newport Beach, he seems perfectly set up for a career in finance. But maybe he's maxed out on soccer ability. I think I'd rather give the time on G2 to the younger players.

6. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Here's Ives's first big board.

http://sbisoccer.com/2015/12/sbi-mls-draft-big-board-version-1-0

IIRC Bruce didn't even attend the combine last year and only picked Maganto because Saracen saw him there and was impressed. I don't think we put a lot of work into the draft anymore (or scouting anymore, but that's another issue).

I can't see us trading players to move up. I could see us trading this year's first and next year's first to move up, but there's such a premium for the top picks that I doubt other teams would agree. I could see us moving down for allocation money.

I like carrying five centerbacks so I might think about Campbell, Fisher or Carrol. It's a better-than-average group of outside backs, at 12 it would be Rosenberry and McCrary. For central midfielders, Hodan, Moberg, Wharton.

Just speculation and it will depend a lot on the size of the GA class.

7. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  8. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Here's Doyle's first mock. He's conservative with the GAs so it gives a better idea of where we stand:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...gnees-dominate-2016-superdraft-mock-draft-1-0

Positionally this make sense, but from the description he doesn't seem to have much of an upside. Not a great attacker and with defensive concerns. I could see Bruce taking more of a chance here.

But if we get any offer of allocation money I expect us to trade out.

9. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    We already have three RB and we'll pick another? I don't believe it.

10. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gargan is not going to last forever so it is not bad to begin grooming more depth there. It may also be the old debate between taking the best guy on the board regardless of position as opposed to drafting for need.

11. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I understand the choice but we already have a project at RB : Oscar Sorto, although I have absolutely no idea if he can become a MLS starter in the future.

There are a few spots where we have absolutely no young players to develop : left back (and our depth here is AJ and Sorto, maybe Romney but his performances at this position aren't convincing) and defensive/central mid.

Too bad that aside of Brandon Vincent, this 2016 class seems to be poor about LB.

12. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I agree that right back is a concern. I gave Gargan more credit last season than most posters on this forum but I think he has stretched the limits of his aging body about as far as it will go. It's not like he was fast to start with. Injuries or just him slowing down even more are a big threat. I would say it's 50/50 at best that he will make it through 2016 as a starter. And Sorto will have to improve significantly if he hopes to be a quality MLS starter.

13. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  14. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we operating under the assumption that AJ will be played centrally? I certainly hope we don't have to hope that Gargan has anything left in the tank and that he's just fullback (both sides) cover and a good locker room guy.

15. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Who knows? Depends on our last few signings and Bruce's mood.

16. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Doyle's mock draft

Older international player without much range. Who knew we could extend our off-season strategy to the draft!

17. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Given our needs/where we have no big young prospects/past success in the Draft, I go for a CB or a DM. Because even if we sign a CB during this offseason I would like to have one more option of the bench than Romney and Steres, and we seem to not have a lot of young talented DM in G2.

In the past we had the most success drafting CB : Omar, AJ, Opare, even Meyer has been very useful, the only one fail I see is Venter. And I like this strategy. I like Maganto and hopefuly he can become a good MLS player but it doesn't make a ton of sense to sign this type of player right now.

Another thought : given our lack of international roster slots right now I predict we'll draft an american player.

18. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one thing we know for sure is that our draft pick(s) will be out of left field and no one will predict them.

WarGalaxy, Baysider and GalaxyKoa repped this.
  19. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or we'll just trade them for allocation.

WarGalaxy, The Cadaver and Geneva repped this.
  20. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  21. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You win!

22. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Absolutely no surprise here.

We have the 42nd pick too, which is like a late second rounder. I wonder if we'll trade it too.

23. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I laughed when I saw the news. I love Bruce! I bet he tried trading the other picks as well! "Cmon, I'll give you these 3 picks for that uh, um, .. Dallas Burn jersey! We can see it on eBay for TAM! Oh that's not how you get TAM?"

24. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I wonder if there is someone of the Galaxy FO at Baltimore since we have zero pick today.:D

25. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Maybe that was the issue. Would you want to go to Baltimore?