2016 - Logo Design, Name, Color, Etc.

Discussion in 'St. Louis City SC' started by Sport Billy, Mar 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Post your submissions here.

[​IMG]

2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring back AC St Louis!

[​IMG]
    Colors and badge
    The inverted shield features a fleur-de-lis with a golden flame beneath a catenary arch. The fleur-de-lis, a long time symbol of the city featured heavily in the region's iconography, was a symbol of French monarchs including Louis IX of France, for whom the city is named. The flame alludes to the 1904 Summer Olympics which were held in St. Louis as part of the St. Louis World's Fair, and is seen by many St. Louisans to be one of the formative events in the city's history. The arch represents the Gateway Arch, which was built in 1965 as a memorial to the city's placement in American history as the "Gateway to the West." A.C. is an homage to the Missouri Athletic Club, which has promoted soccer in the region for more than 100 years.

FootySkeptic and Capt.Tsubasa repped this.
  3. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Does the NASL still own the naming rights to AC STL?

4. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    I'm no good with art, so I will describe.

I like round badges like the old Leeds United rose badge. They look very classy on jerseys. IMO.
    [​IMG]

See those 5 outside corner ornaments? I would replace them with 5 fleur-de-lis. These corners already look a little like fleur-de-lis, so it's not a big change.

Then just replace Leeds United AFC with Saint Louis FC.

Replace colors with club colors.

FootySkeptic repped this.
  5. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a few concepts...

Attached Files:

6. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I can't see them going with anything connected to AC or the Lions

7. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe not with AC, but thats not a Lion, its a wolf. :p

8. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UnifrakturCook-Bold- Font

Attached Files:

9. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    On the Lion's crest

But why a wolf?

I'd like to see our city flag incorporated

10. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was just for a general idea, something similar..
    Wolves are badass, wolves work together to hunt their prey. Wolves are badass. Wolves are not used by any MLS Team, Wolves are badass.

FootySkeptic repped this.
  11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Back when the MLS2STL group was originally announced, I too had voiced the hope the city flag colors get used (which worked a lot better when the Cardinals and Blues were directly involved, red/white+blue/yellow = STL flag) since the STL is one of the best flags out there (really, it placed top5 in polls) and other cities/states with awesome flags have similarly had their sports teams use them (Chicago Red Stars with the Chicago flag, DC United with the DC flag, and any UMD team with the Maryland flag).

I would further continue the flag play and hope the team is named the Saint Louis Confluence; I feel like "Confluence" is both a nod to the common "United" moniker (similar meaning of coming together) while also being nicely Americanized with how unique it is to STL. Then you could have the (official?) nickname as "the Rivermen" since "Confluence" isn't such a great name to fling around on fan message boards. X-D

12. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    I think wolves make the logo intrinsically badass and an automatic 5 star rating.

Andy Bulldog repped this.
  13. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's another wolf/crest/badge concept...
    Colors: Green/Blue/White/Silver or Gray.

Silver/Gray, could be used for a 3rd alternate uniform or possibly used instead of the over used white.

The name/date, is just for generalization, to show font. Which is called Deutsch.

Attached Files:

14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #14 SiberianThunderT, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    What's the obsession with wolves? They don't have anything to do with the history or culture of STL.

I don't care how "cool" they are, they're a complete non-sequitur for the city.

=edit=
    Actually, I take it back - there is *one* culture reference with wolves and STL.
    It's the "Who's on first"? Abbott and Costello skit.
    All the more reason to stay the HELL away from using wolves. We don't want our team to be looked at in the context of a comedy routine or as a baseball reference.

15. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's another wolf/crest/badge concept...(yes its adapted from an Irish badge, but reverted, could be edited so the top looks more like an arch.

Silver/Gray, could be used for a 3rd alternate uniform or possibly used instead of the over used white.

The name/date, is just for generalization, to show font. Which is called DeutscheZierschrift.

Attached Files:

16. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wolves are badass, wolves work together to hunt their prey. Wolves are badass. Wolves are not used by any MLS Team, Wolves are badass.

Last I checked, there are no Lakes in LA, no Grizzlies in Memphis, no Lions in Detroit or Orlando, or St. Louis, etc etc, that argument, is irrelevant and overly used...Im not suggesting it as an official name, just as a mascot.

17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That's literally the exact same thing you said earlier. Not helping your case at all.

18. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats because I still feel the same way...:p

And I edited my initial reply...

19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #19 SiberianThunderT, Nov 22, 2016
    Just because something has precedent doesn't mean it isn't completely dumb. Team names and logos should reflect their cities.

Also, you're completely ignorant of team history if you're using those examples. The Lakers were originally in Minneapolis - in the state known as "The Land of 10,000 Lakes". Similarly, the Grizzlies were originally in Vancouver, in the thick of bear country. And even without any actual lions in Detroit, the name was a nod to the fact that the Detroit Tigers already existed, and the new owner wanted his team to be "king of the jungle" in the NFL, and Orlando City using lions was also a nod to the historical Orlando Lions team - so at least there's some logic in both of those. I see no logic whatsoever in having wolves with a soccer team in STL. Unless you really want the Abbott&Costello baseball association.

20. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #20 Andy Bulldog, Nov 22, 2016
    Uh, you're making assumptions. I know very well the histories of those clubs. The teams that moved, could have very easily re-branded themselves. So that's not an excuse.
    Is still remains, that none of those cities or states have those animals, not the originals nor the ones that are giving a nod, to other teams before them, etc...

Having a wolf as a mascot would be original for any North American professional team(other than the NBA's Timberwolves).
    And not to many people over the age 30 are even aware of that movie. But I am and it didnt even cross my mind...

DBR70 repped this.
  21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You're the one making excuses. Right now, for any STL MLS team, you're trying to name/brand a team from scratch. So you *have* to talk about the origins and any related history.

In fact, if you want to invoke the idea that "those team could have re-branded", then you're agreeing with me that when a team wants a new name/brand, it shouldn't be something unrelated to the city.

Doesn't change the fact that people *will* bring it up if it gets even close to becoming a reality.

22. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually no. Those teams that moved could have chosen a name that has nothing to do with the city or state. It happens all the time.

I suppose St. Louis should be branded as the Archers, Priests, Bishops, Redbirds, RiverCats(catfish), or Steam Rollers(boats), or something, cause Lions(even a nod to them), Tigers or any other animal that doesn't have a real connection to the City/State should not be considered...

Only people who wish to bring up a movie, will bring it up. Other wise, a wolf is badass and a good brand. Period.
    This has been fun, but life must go on. And other ideas to come. Have a nice day and Happy Holidays.

23. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The name/date, is just for generalization, to show font. Which is called Boisterb.

Attached Files:

24. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one might work better on colored kits. Badge/Logo could be double lined like this one, with a thinner outer gray or white line.

The name/date, is just for generalization, to show font. Which is called Boisterb.

Attached Files:

25. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    In point of fact, the City and County of Los Angeles are home to numerous lakes... Baldwin Lake, Bouton Lake, Caldwell Lake, Castaic Lake, Crystal Lake, Debs Lake, Echo Lake, Elderberry Lake, Elizabeth Lake, Hansen Lake, Harbor Lake, Hidden Lake, Holiday Lake, Hollenbeck Lake, Hughes Lake, Jackson Lake, Lake Balboa, Lake Lindero, Lake Palmdale, Lees Lake, Legg Lake, Lincoln Park Lake, Macarthur Park Lake, Malibu Lake, McGee Lake, Middle Lake, Monteria Lake, Munz Lakes, Pyramid Lake, Quail Lake, Redwing Lake, Reseda Park Lake, Santa Ynez Lake, Toluca Lake, Tweedy Lake, Una Lake, Upper Van Norman Lake and Westlake Lake, to name a few.

Just sayin'.

Andy Bulldog repped this.