2016 La Manga Tournament

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lunatica, Jan 29, 2016.

1. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    U-23 WNT will be participating this year in annual La Manga tournament.
    All games should be available to watch worldwide (excluding Norway) at http://lamangatv.solidtango.com/tag/w-u23-tournament (hopefully no late changes like it was last year)

March 2:
    U23 England – U20 Germany
    U20 Sweden – U23 USA
    U23 Norway – U23 Japan

March 4:
    U23 USA – U23 England
    U23 Norge – U20 Germany
    U23 Japan – U20 Sweden

March 6:
    U20 Sweden – U23 England
    U23 Norway – U23 USA
    U20 Germany – U23 Japan

There are some inconsistencies in game times on these sites, so I didn't post it here

https://mywomensfootball.wordpress....u23-to-play-6-nations-tournament-at-la-manga/

8MiLLeNiuM repped this.
  2. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet. Thanks for the post.
    Why are Germany and Sweden only sending their U-20's?

3. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    As it was stated in article hidden under the link I've posted above: Germany and Sweden are sending their U20 squad in preparation for the U20 World Cup

4. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad we are not playing Germany or Japan. Also, where's France? They should expand it to 8 teams.

5. orange crusader

May 2, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    I think the schedule posted is wrong, and the U.S. U20's are going to La Manga.

lunatica repped this.
  6. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    In recent years there were always two tournaments in La Manga per year. One for younger NTs and one for older. For example last year US U-20 WNT participated in U-19 tournament and U-23 competed against other U-23 NTs in a different tournament. It was also around the same time: end of February - beginning of March. I guess we'll have to wait for official announcement to find out how it's gonna be this year.

7. LockDownD

LockDownD Red Card

Jan 26, 2015
    The US U18 WNT will also be competing at La Manga in a U18 version of the tournament. They will become the U20's following the U20 WWC this fall.

lunatica repped this.
  8. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

lunatica repped this.
  9. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    If this all is true, then good for U20 team, but I'm not sure how much competition U23s will have at Istria Cup (apart from France B team).

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Hard to speculate if the 23s from better European countries r more of challenge than full teams from small countries because unless ur a really deep program any good players u have r on the NT not the 23s. There is also a benefit of the US 23s playing against older players from a pro environment instead of players in their own age group. There is also a prize to aim for. Im glad they tried this and as u mentioned, there is always the French B team to measure themselves against.

11. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    If this was Istria Cup from last year, I'd agree. It would be a good challenge, but I don't see anyone besides France B team even close in terms of competition to the Ireland team US U-23s have defeated easily recently. There will be a lot of young players on these teams too, because they often play while studying before real life takes over. The rest plays taking break from the real job. It would be more beneficial to play U-23 team from countries where you start young playing in good woso leagues.
    In 2014 USA sent to Istria Cup Region I ODP U16/17 team and the other participants were Belarus, Slovakia, Taiwan, Serbia U19, Croatia, Hungary and Poland. Besides France B team, which did not impress last year at Cyprus Cup, U-23s can face a lesser competition this year.

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    They didnt face the Irish starters and those starters who did get in played two days before. Yes these r the same teams that r getting pounded in qualifying by the good European teams but a US U23 team is generally a cobbled together group of players who r training by themselves either for Spring soccer or getting ready for the league. While a played in US U23 may be top ten in the world I think this is a nice tester under the circumstances. Id even like it better if the US abandon the U23s all together and went with a B team concept. This would be a way to open up the pool a bit and get more players into the CBA.

13. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this idea, a lot.

babranski repped this.
  14. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    this actually could be a quality tourney but I don't think some of the best countries will bring their best, age appropriate players.

Norway got two of the best youngsters in the game, Ada Hegerberg & Caroline Hansen(both 20 years old), but their the star starters for the senior team & most certainly needed at the last Olympic spot tourney(March 2-9).

Same could be said for Sweden, they got two strong upcoming fwds in Blackinhaus & Hammerlund, but their direct subs to the senior NT starters, Schelin & Jacobsson(and of course Sweden is trying to get into the Olympics as well). But they di win the Uefa u19 championship last year.

Japan's is in the Asian Olympic Qualifiers which will take away it's best players too(at any age)

Germany didn't fare as well as they've done previously at the youth level, but they tend to grow up faster at the u20 age cause most of them are playing in the Bundesliga 1st division all ready. Their superstar of the 2013 u-20 WC, Pauline Bremer is still age eligible(she still only 19 years old) but she's still recovering from injury. The US isn't schedules to play them anyways.

Which comes to the final team, u23 England, which might just be the most interesting opponent. Since England can't compete in the Olympics and got an rather easy UEFA qualifying group, they can bring their best players into this tourney. The one player I'm most familiar with is Beth Mead(age 21). She was the top scorer by far last season in England's top league(11 goals to 2nd place 6 goals). Hopefully she'll be in this tourney to display her talents(she's yet to play for their senior NT). They also got a couple of fast wingers in Nikita Parris(19) & Danielle Carter(22). Should be a good game when they play the US, March 04

btw..................anyone know the US roster? Just wondering if Spirit players, Oyster & Dydasco will be on it; watched them recently on youtube as they simply dominated for their Newcastle team in the Aussie W-League

Namdynamo repped this.
  15. orange crusader

May 2, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    U.S. U-20's are going instead of the U-23's. U-23's are going to the Istria Cup.

16. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When did that change happen?

17. Really?

Really? Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Club:
    Al Nasr Riyadh
    The players have known about it and the U18 La Manga tournament for a long time. They told them at earlier camps. They may not do as good a job informing the general public about it. I still can't find a schedule for the U18 tournament and all of the players that are going have been informed. They all leave on Saturday the 27th of this month.

Hooked003 repped this.
  18. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    You can have a good idea of the U19 schedule on the NFF website, it is not the full schedule though

http://www.fotball.no/Landslag_og_t...2016/Se-oversikten-over-TV2s-kamper-i-vinter/

thanks for the information I will update my blog :)

19. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    U.S. U-20 WNT La Manga Tournament Roster by Position:

GOALKEEPERS (2): Rose Chandler (Penn State; Atlanta, Ga.), Casey Murphy (Rutgers; Bridgewater, N.J.)

DEFENDERS (9): Alana Cook (Stanford; Far Hills, N.J.), Maddie Elliston (Penn State; Omaha, Neb.), Emily Fox (FC Virginia; Ashburn, Va.), Natalie Jacobs (Notre Dame; Coto de Caza, Calif.), Ellie Jean (Penn State; Coventry, Conn.), Tegan McGrady (Stanford; San Jose, Calif.), Taylor Otto (North Carolina; Apex, N.C.), Kaleigh Riehl (Penn State; Fairfax Station, Va.), Michelle Xiao (Stanford; Omaha, Neb.)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Savannah DeMelo (Beach FC; Bellflower, Calif.), Jordan Dibiasi (Stanford; Littleton, Colo.), Kelcie Hedge (Washington; Post Falls, Idaho), Emily Ogle (Penn State; Strongsville, Ohio), Courtney Petersen (Virginia; Canton, Mich.), Parker Roberts (Kansas; Leawood, Kan.), Mikaela Harvey (Texas A&M; Liberty Hill, Texas)

FORWARDS (4): Mimi Asom (Princeton; Fairview, Texas), Taylor Racioppi (Duke; Ocean Township, N.J.), Jessie Scarpa (North Carolina; Lakeland, Fla.), Ally Watt (Texas A&M; Colorado Springs, Colo.)
    http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...-travel-to-spain-for-u-23-la-manga-tournament

20. Hooked003

Hooked003 Member

Jan 28, 2014
    From story lunatic linked above: The US U20 WNT will play U23 Sweden on March 2, U23 England on March 4, and U23 Norway on March 6.

21. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Defenders are mostly from Penn State and Stanford. Total players from schools: Penn State has 5, Stanford has 4, N. Carolina with 2, and Texas A&M with 2, the rest with 1.

Lots of good team in this tournament.
    The 16-team field for the tournament is set and it’s a strong one, featuring: Canada, Mexico, the USA, Papua New Guinea, New Zealand, Japan, Korea DPR, Korea Republic, Ghana, Nigeria, Brazil, Venezuela, France, Germany, Spain, and Sweden.

22. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U-18 WNT Will Travel to La Manga, Spain for Three Matches

NEWS Feb 22, 2016

CHICAGO (Feb. 22, 2016) – The U.S. Under-18 Women’s National Team will travel to La Manga, Spain, from Feb. 27-March 7 for three matches against Under-19 teams as part of the annual event in southwest Spain.

The USA will be coached by U.S. Soccer Women’s Technical Director April Heinrichs who has called up 22 players, 19 born in 1998 and three in 1997.

The USA will be playing against older teams comprised mostly of 1997s and will face Denmark on March 3, England on March 5 and finish with Norway on March 7.

All the players traveling to Spain are age-eligible for the team that will participate in the 2016 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup which has an age cut-off of players born on or after Jan. 1, 1996, but the goal for this age group is to ultimately qualify for the 2018 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup.

U.S. U-18 WNT Roster by Position:

GOALKEEPERS (2):
    Amanda Dennis (Penn State; Palmetto, Fla.), Brooke Heinsohn (New England FC; Norfolk; Mass.)

DEFENDERS (7): Malia Berkely (Fairfield Optimist SC; Liberty Township, Ohio), Holly Daugirda (Utah Avalanche; Salt Lake City, Utah), Julie Doyle (San Diego Surf; Murrieta, Calif.), Samantha Hiatt (Crossfire FC; Newcastle, Wash.), Julie Mackin (Real Colorado; Castle Rock, Colo.), Kaiya McCullough (San Diego Surf; Mission Viejo, Calif.), Taylor Mitchell (Real So Cal; Tarzana, Calif.)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Olivia Athens (PSV Union FC; Atherton, Calif.), Marley Canales (San Diego Surf; Temecula, Calif.), Arlie Jones (San Diego Surf, Las Vegas, Nev.), Taylor Kornieck (San Diego Surf, Henderson, Nev.), Zoe Morse (Michigan Hawks; East Lansing, Mich.), Natalie Winters (Michigan Hawks; Plymouth, Mich.)

FORWARDS (7): Jenna Bike (Connecticut FC; Trumbull, Conn.), Marissa Bosco (Eclipse Select; St. Charles, Ill.), Sunny Dunphy (San Diego Surf; Carlsbad, Calif.), Cecilia Gee (Lamorinda United; Orinda, Calif.), Kennedy Goins (TSC Hurricane; Broken Arrow, Okla.), Alissa Gorzak (Eclipse Select; Naperville, Ill.), Abigail Kim (Pacific NW SC; Vashon, Wash.)

Namdynamo repped this.
  23. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #23 8MiLLeNiuM, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    Interestingly enough, the U-20 portion of the La Manga Tournament has a website with video links for the matches, which begin this morning.
    https://lamangatv.solidtango.com/categories/w-u23-tournament
    The website lists this as the U-23 Tournament, but our U-20's are playing the teams listed.

Also, the U-18 portion of the La Manga Tournament has a website link to video streams of the matches, which being tomorrow.

https://lamangatv.solidtango.com/categories/w-u19-tournament
    As expected, the website lists this as the U-19 Tournament.

The cost is $10.99 to Register. Not sure if that cost is per match, per tournament, or just to unlock all the video streaming content. I emailed the website to find out. Will let you know as soon as they reply. I have a feeling it's a per match fee.

24. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24 8MiLLeNiuM, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    As I suspected; each match is $10.99. However, they offer a VIP pass for $27.99 USD for 20 days.
    EDIT: They charge an additional VAT tax of $5.60 USD; which doesn't show up until after you've made the purchase (via e-mail receipt).

Vänligen skriv ditt svar OVANFÖR denna textMAR 02, 2016 | 09:57AM CET
    Christian svarade:
    Each live broadcast is separate, and purchased separately as well.

If you want access to more than one live broadcast, it could be better for you to purchase the VIP pass, which gives you access to all upcoming live broadcasts from this season.

You can find the VIP pass here: https://lamangatv.solidtango.com/vip

Med vänlig hälsning
    --
    Christian Makalo Clifford

SOLIDTANGO | THE ONLINE VIDEO PLATFORM

25. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013