2016+ Japanese players in Major League Soccer (MLS, USA)

Discussion in 'Japanese Abroad' started by hanul21, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

2. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

How do the Japanese rate the MLS? Obviously it's not anywhere near the caliber of European leagues but would they par it on some of the lower-tier European countries in terms of quality? I'm curious as to the news coverage on Endoh, Kudo, and Kobayashi.

I ask this because I am a hardcore fan of my alma mater's soccer team and Endoh's name gets raised every once in a while. He has quite the cult following at my Uni.

3. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see a lot of MLS headlines on Japanese sports websites and there is increased recognition that the league is up-and-coming, with stars like Villa and Giovinco who are still quite productive. I'm not sure about a direct comparison with Europe, though.

Endoh's surprise selection in the draft and rookie success got quite a bit of coverage, including a major TV appearance posted below. While on set waiting for filming he ran into NT coach Halilhodzic, who told him that the technical staff is watching his games with TFC. The media took interest in the fact that he took an alternative route to the pros and is now playing alongside well-known players, e.g. Giovinco, Bradley, Altidore. Kudo was less talked about and Kobayashi is barely ever mentioned, due to him being a journeyman who has been abroad for the better part of a decade at this point.

hanul21 and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  4. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

I had the chance to talk to Endoh after one of the games at Maryland and he mentioned that his dream is to play in the J-League and one day the JNT. Hopefully things work out for him. He's certainly MLS and J-League material but I feel like the competition for midfielders in the JNT is too competitive for him.

5. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Tsubasa Endoh seems to be playing with Toronto II this season. That said, he's alredy scored 8 goals in 14 matches.

here's his recent hat trick

Samurai Warrior and YakYak repped this.
  6. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah he was out of contract with the senior team after completely falling out of the rotation. Good to see him doing well in USL.

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  7. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Angel Bear, Samurai Warrior and YakYak repped this.
  8. Angel Bear

Angel Bear Member

May 19, 2010
    Oakland, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    marten48 repped this.
  9. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Endoh is back with TFC’s MLS squad this season!
    1085690216260657152 is not a valid tweet id

marten48 and YakYak repped this.
  10. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It flew under the radar but Tsubasa Endoh is playing MLS football again and as a starter.
    He even scored already against Atlanta.

(first goal)

YakYak and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  11. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yuya Kubo with his first MLS goal.

Whispered11 repped this.
  12. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, MLS is back in action. Cincinnati might be the worst team in the league. Kubo? Well, he kept running until the finish even with his team being pummeled 4-0 by Columbus. I guess you could call that professionalism.

seolseol and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  13. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Endoh started and went 90 minutes for Toronto FC as they drew 2-2 with DC United, in a match which was initially postponed due to positive COVID-19 tests.

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  14. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Endoh started a wild match between Toronto and Montreal and went 60 minutes before getting subbed off for an extra defender.

In other news, I would like to warn everyone not to search Twitter for his name and Tinder

15. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  16. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Did he lose weight?? :O