2016 In-Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Mar 1, 2016.

1. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, just got notification Howard is out for likely 4 months after his surgery Thursday.

2. kucsdat

kucsdat Member

Jul 12, 2012
  3. kucsdat

kucsdat Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Sjöberg getting some love in the Swedish media after his 3rd place in MLS best defender of the year. Axel talks about how his route to pro soccer was different, choosing Marquette college soccer after not making the team in Sweden (Djurgården). Axel says he wasn't ready for pro soccer at that age (18), as he was still growing and did not know how to use his size to an advantage. He says he's happy playing in MLS but still dreaming on playing in Europe, preferably in Germany or Italy (Bundesliga or Serie A).

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kucsdat repped this.
  5. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    kucsdat and jayd8888 repped this.
  6. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
  7. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    JasonMa repped this.
  8. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  9. AvaiBunton

AvaiBunton Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Thinking about Gashi, if he isn't available for the first leg (after PM said "all hands on deck"), how likely is it he is available a few days later for leg 2? I would think not so much unless the turf has something to do with the decision.

Hoping he makes a "magical" recovery and actually plays or at least is on the bench.

rod.

jimijam28 repped this.
  11. jimijam28

jimijam28 Member+

Nov 9, 2010
    Denver area
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i hoping the turf is really the main reason.

12. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO

I am so tired of teams that give the home field advantage to Seattle like that. When I own an MLS club we are going to have Tijuana style turf and watch other teams donate points.

zapem_10, Rod1916 and jimijam28 repped this.
  13. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Agree completely. The home team plays half their games on turf, so it can't be *that* bad. I say it shouldn't be a big deal for an important game. Maybe during the season when you want to find a rest game anyway, but I really hate the excuse or even hearing PM say we are ignoring the turf and playing everyone. What else would we do? Give up the playoff game?

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm also tired of this debate but I'm on the other side when it comes to injury. Players like Beckham and Henry have no excuse. You're paid to play, play. But if you know the turf has a decent chance of exacerbating an injury then I don't see an issue with minimizing your time on it. Would you rather have Gashi for some or all of Leg 1 and then lose him for Leg 2 and maybe MLS Cup or use him as a late sub in Leg 1 and have him for Leg 2?

22SteveD repped this.
  15. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids

Agree on inury that may be aggrevated. Hate when it is just an excuse.

16. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    It's a silly excuse because getting injured on the turf is not a given.

Many players survive 90 minutes on it.

17. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see the reasoning behind it, you are allowed 3 and we were within rules by buying down JJ's contract. So why use this bonus money now (to 2 DPs) when you might need it next year to buy someone down to stay within the 3 DP rule?

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we were kind of in the rules. DP's don't count against the total if thy're on full-season loans, but Ramirez went on two different half season loans. So I don't know if that factored in.

The other thing is that TAM is lost if its not used. So that might have played into it as well.

wormhole and jayd8888 repped this.
  19. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were a few rumors about the RFO pursuing another DP, possibly a defender. They might have bought down Doyle's status hoping they could get away with not counting Ramirez, but the league shot them down for the reason JasonMa points out.

20. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    A defender? Seems like there would be better ways to spend DP money - if it were available for the Rapids to use. One candidate would be Daryl Horgan.

God, please tell me they weren't thinking of John Terry. (And I am a Chelsea fan.)

22SteveD repped this.
  21. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1621 22SteveD, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    TAM doesn't expire this year.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/...geted-allocation-money-homegrown-player-funds

Besides if your going to buy down a DP per the rules, wouldn't you go with the "cheapest" one which is the said player on loan.

kucsdat and JasonMa repped this.
  22. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Love MacMath's attitude. He was given a sh*t sandwich and took it all in stride. Irwin was (and still is) one of my favorites, MacMath is quickly joining that list.

Would love to see the Rapids figure out a way to keep him on the roster for a post-Howard era (injury, non-league games, etc.). Not sure that is fair to MacMath, but I am being a bit selfish here.

Also, really love that the Post has at least *some* Rapids content beyond just a stat line.

Source: http://www.denverpost.com/2016/11/18/zac-macmath-replaces-tim-howard/, Denver Post.

rod.

AlbertCamus and Stuart95 repped this.
  23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see MacMath being happy sitting on the bench as Howard's backup for the next 3 seasons (Howard is signed through the 2019 season).

Rod1916 repped this.
  24. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because I like McMath, I'd like to see him move to another team where he can start, maybe MNU or Atlanta in the expansion draft?

As for Irwin, my dream scenario is that the Rapids play TFC in the final so we can give Irwin and Moor a proper send off.

rapidogordo, AlbertCamus and 22SteveD repped this.
  25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ATL would probably be a good option, actually. I am interested to see how many MN Utd retain from their NASL roster. Despite a world famous own goal in a friendly against Bournemouth, they boast Cameroonian international Sammy Ndjock in goal. He's one of the better goalkeepers outside of MLS. But there's a selfish part of me that wants to keep Zack around because Timmy is going to miss games for international duty and quite frankly he needs a rest here and there at 37. But........you can get a cheaper option as a solid backup.