2016 FSU thread

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Tom81, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I did not get to see the game today because I was at church. I see the score was 1-1, and we prevailed in penalty kicks 3 to 2.
    Apparently Cassie came up big.
    Who can give me a synopsis? Who had the run of play? Who looked good for us?

2. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #202 sweepsit, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    I caught about 75% of the game but missed both goals. The acc network didn't have replay capability so no replays of them either, pretty disappointing.

Run of play looked pretty even from what I saw. Streaky with batches of dangerous possession on both sides. Definitely helped having Deyna back as she required so much attention, seemed to open things up for others more so than in the match up last week.

Tillman sent a soft touch about six inches wide of the net from about four yards out in a 1 on 1 with the keeper with less than a minute left in overtime. Best missed opportunity of the half. I'm sure she wishes she had that back. In general, duke seemed more dangerous in their attacking third than we did despite the shot counts. I did only catch about 3/4 of the game though so may have missed some of our more dynamic play up top that created better looks (including the goal).

3. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    http://www.seminoles.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=32900&ATCLID=211263551
    I have since went back on ACC Network Extra and watched key highlights.
    Deyna's goal was spectacular. A cross was sent into the box from the left side.
    Duke player heads it out. Deyna is about 22 yards out and takes the ball out of the
    air and laces it into the Right upper 90.
    Most kids settle the ball at their feet and then try to get off a shot. By that time, they have
    little to no space.
    Tillman should have ended it with 23 seconds left in 1st OT, but I was really pleased that
    FSU dominated shots in 2nd half 11-1.
    Having Deyna opens things up for others.
    We just more aggressive today.

4. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    This is a quote from Robbie Church (Duke Coach) post game. Includes a
    stunning comment about Deyna's goal.
    “I thought there were some really nice things that we did,” said Duke head coach Robbie Church. “The girls played hard and I thought defensively we have a really nice game plan. They scored a world class goal against us. We haven’t seen a goal like that against us since China. That is the only time I have seen anything like that happen. We had some chances for sure. It is frustrating…we know we are really, really close. We are playing the best teams in the country. You couldn’t ask for a few more chances than we had against Florida State.”

5. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
  6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must have been praying at the time of the PKs.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  7. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will the Venezuelan Viper (Ms. Deyna Castellanos) be available for the post season, or will she be off to the U20 WC? FSU needs her striking power.

8. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I'm assuming she will be available, but I don't have any inside info.

9. jimhalpert

jimhalpert Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mark was at the South Carolina v. Texas A&M game in Orange Beach. Does he know something we don't?

10. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    When it comes to soccer, yes!
    I'm sure he's scouting potential NCAA opponents!!

11. Ben.D

Ben.D New Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Or he is looking for someone who wants to transfer?, someone like Cheyna Williams.

12. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I certainly wouldn't know.
    Mark plays all information surrounding his program close to the vest.

I wouldn't think an FSU caliber player would look to leave a very good USCe program.
    Don't know about A&M. They've been strong up until this year.

I'm sticking with my scouting assumption.

13. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Heh! Just looking at these last three posts, I'd bet that he is looking at a potential player. Taking the travel and game time to personally scout teams that may or may not even be in the same NCAA bracket does not make sense in that films are available for detailed scouting use courtesy of the SEC television package (even if teams do not exchange films). But I would think that it would not be a waste of time to go look at a prospective transfer. But who knows!

14. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    http://www.seminoles.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=32900&ATCLID=211272189

Well represented, especially considering our ranking in the conference.
    If Deyna had not missed 9 games, she would have walked away with FOTY voting.
    She is special.
    If she becomes more of a force defensively going forward (ala Dagny B.), she could possibly
    overtake Dagny as the best player in FSU history.
    Of course this is JMHO.

15. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Mark knows his team will not be selected as a 1- or 2-seed. As a 1-seed, South Carolina looks to be FSU's likeliest destination for week 2

16. jimhalpert

jimhalpert Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard from other parents that he comes to the SEC Tournament almost every year.

17. luvthegame

luvthegame Member

Oct 17, 2005
    OR Auburn.

18. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    (3)Auburn are predestined to meet (2) Clemson in week 2

(4) FSU are predestined to meet (1) SoCar in week 2.

The system is rigged ;)

19. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about the matchups, but my computer agrees with your seeds. That's assuming games come out as projected over the next few days.

20. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I'm not a numbers geek, but I have a hard time fathoming FSU at list of the three seed. Before seed presupposes they are somewhere between 13 and 16. With their full roster, I just don't see that.

21. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Voice texting messes me up. I meant to say I have a hard time fathoming FSU at less, or worse than a 3 seed.
    A 4 seed would suggest we should be ranked between 13 and 16. I don't believe that would be accurate.

22. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    http://www.seminoles.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=32900&ATCLID=211275314

Nice win for FSU!
    This team is not as dominant as past versions, but Mark always seems to peak them at
    the right time.
    Mark hit it out of the park with Deyna. Heidi and Yo, the other 2 internationals have struggled
    adapting to the very physical American game. Then Elin had a family emergency take her home.
    Kristen McFarland and Malia Berkely have really shown out as freshmen. Taylor Hallmon from nearby
    Panama City, has also gotten some good burn.
    If we get a couple of good pieces in this recruiting class, we should be very dangerous again next year.
    Deyna and Kristen just need more time together. Deyna missed 9 games this year with U17 for
    Venezuela.

I'm getting ahead of myself, because this year isn't finished, and I don't see any real dominant teams
    out there.
    Do you?

sweepsit repped this.
  23. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems pretty wide open this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see any of six ACC teams in the college cup... And wouldn't be surprised to see any of them miss it either. Not like the last couple years where FSU or uva were heavy favorites to play through the last weekend. Here's to hoping some good breaks for the team Mark always seem to get peaking at the right time!

24. European football fan

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    No you are right. There are no dominant teams. I'm neither a FSU nor a Clemson fan. I watched the game,hoping to see a great football . I was disappointed. Both teams played a very boring and predictable attacking style. I was excited to watch Dayna. She is a special player for sure. I'm not convinced that all the hype around her at this time is warranted. Any time she did something with the ball the commentators just exploded. The matter of fact that yesterday she had a rather average game. She played way back and looked many times lost. I'm sure she is going to have a great sophomores year. IMO this FSU team has a lot of potentials in the future, but right know I do not think (hope not) that they are peaking.

25. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Credit to FSU for its defense and beating Clemson yesterday--but, wow, the second half was dull. Clemson tried to get the tying goal but the seminoles sat back and defended beautifully.
    I completely agree with you about the FSU-Clemson game. I watched the second half thinking it would be exciting. It was BORING. Clemson kicked it around, FSU sat back, Clemson couldn't create anything--there was NO action, to speak of. And here's the thing--I've seen quite a few halves like that in the ACC this year.