PBP: 2016 FIFA WWC-20 Third Place: USA-Japan

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Gilmoy, Dec 2, 2016.

1. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #76 MiLLeNNiuM, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    Look, I think we are all in agreement that this team didn't look good for stretches in some matches.
    Clearly this U-20 USA team was lacking in some areas (e.g., player quality), so the coach reverted to a defensive strategy.

After a second viewing of some of the matches, I'm actually happy that most players executed their defensive duties fairly well and I think the team made improvements over the past couple months.
    Did they get lucky? Sure (sometimes it's better to be lucky than good).
    However, even luck will only get you so far.

My original point was that the consistency of the results showed that this team was not as bad as it seems.
    They kept themselves in all their games (i.e., they didn't get blown out by any opponents), which I thought was one big positive I could take away.

Now, would I have preferred to see the USA U-20's field a more possession and attacking oriented team? Absolutely.
    After what I saw at this tournament, do I want a head coaching change? Yes.
    I don't think Michelle French should get another 2 years to try and figure it out.

Having said that that I'm glad to see that some players made strides and that the team did not get blown out in any matches.

BlueCrimson and Airox repped this.
  2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    MRAD12 and dakota701 repped this.
  3. Cuzinatti10

Cuzinatti10 Member