PBP: 2016 FIFA WWC-20 Group D: GER, VEN, MEX, KOR

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Gilmoy, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tomorrow.

2. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2016/11/14 Mon (or 11/13 Sun late night in USA)
    D07.Germany - Venezuela

3. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 Gilmoy, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    02' 1-0 #10 Madeline Gier

26' 1-1 Venezuela center to tall girl at 27m center, pinpoint ground pass through arc left (past a slide-block try) to #18 Mariana Speckmaier's foot at 15m arc left. Speckmaier chases rebound past spot, fires right instep sharply under GK's left hand into back right low. (Nice name vs. Germany, too :D)

45' 2-1 Germany pass from box top center to 6-top mid-left, low shot blocked to 2m 3-right. #10 Gier runs on alone, volleys up into roof.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  4. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    51' 3-1 #19 Lea Schüller

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  5. applepie71

applepie71 Red Card

Oct 17, 2016
    How did "roaming around free" Freigang do? :p

blissett repped this.
  6. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Germany vs Venezuela 3-1 FT
    Mexico vs Korea Rep. 2-0 FT

I'll let you know about Freigang (I'll keep an eye out for her), after I watch the replay of the Germany match later today.

blissett repped this.
  7. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    and please, tell me how did the German 'Alex Morgan'(Lea Schuller) do?

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  8. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I'll keep an eye out for both and Gier, who scored 2 goals.

I'm just going to write their numbers below so I don't forget:
    #9 Schuller
    #20 Freigang
    #10 Gier

blissett repped this.
  9. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Match day 1

10. applepie71

applepie71 Red Card

Oct 17, 2016
    Schüller with a probably season ending injury. Germany have lost so far: Ehegötz, Diekmann, Schüller

11. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freigang did a good job overall distributing and defending as a holding midfielder. The play leading to Germany's 1st goal was started by Friegang. Freigang passed the ball to Matheis who sent a cross into the box and Gier slotted it home. Gier took all the free kicks and corners and looked dangerous the whole game.

Venezuela should have scored 1 or 2 more goals in the first half; especially that shot off the post by Idalys. Speckmaier (the USA based player) was giving the German back line fits the whole game. If Venezuela were a little more disciplined in their defending, this might have ended in a tie.

Schuller was fairly quiet in the 1st half, but was busy in the 2nd half. She scored Germany's 3rd goal, and even though she sliced her strike, it was placed in the corner where the keeper couldn't get to it. Also, she almost had another on a break away; she shot the ball just wide. She was injured on that play and couldn't continue.

12. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #13 Gilmoy, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    D15.Germany - Mexico
    Two-way action. Germany have hit right post, and missed a couple center breakaway shots wide. Mexico are repeatedly turning Germany's flanks for endline dribble-and-pass chances. Knaak has gone down twice on contested-header dings, resumes both times.

~43' 0-0 Here's a funny situation you don't often see! Mexico's #11 Jimenez nutmegs Germany's RB, turns through 5m box left, cross to 6-top left blocked off a back. Ball rebounds toward the left corner flag -- it is apparent that that it's actually on-line to cross in front of the flagpole if it were vertical. But a gust of wind has pushed the flagpole away from the endline, so it's leaning way over, only ~30° from horizontal and almost touching the touchline. The ball crosses behind the flag (and about 2' above the ground) -- but it's still in front of the base of the flagpole. Ref gives -- corner kick to Mexico :laugh: What's the correct ruling on that?

49' 1-0 #10 Gier receives at 25m center, sprays a pass to #2 Gerhardt at arc top box left. Gerhardt goes down box left, cuts inside to 7m 7-left, shoots toward left post -- blocked back to her by GK Alvarado. #18 Stefanie Sanders is stuck at 0.5m center, backpedals behind 2 defenders on the goalline -- onside again! Gerhardt pokes a 2nd shot/cross to 3m center -- Sanders opens right instep and taps it in past those 2.

blissett repped this.
  13. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #14 Gilmoy, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    67' 2-0 Germany counter up centerline, pass left to #2 Gerhardt at box top left again. Gerhardt goes to 3m box left, low cross outswings to 4m 1/3 left. Alvarado sprawls but doesn't catch, blocks ball out to 9m right post, past the onrushing scrum. #19 Saskia Matheis trails and arrives first, one-touch right instep just inside right post low.

85' 3-0 Germany pass down box left for #2 Gerhardt chasing to 5m. Gerhardt tries her cut-inside move to 4m mid-left, #13 Mejia pokes ball off her foot leftward. #18 Sanders looms over #5 M.Flores at 4m center, taller by a full skull. Gerhardt chases ball to 3m wide left, spins cw toward endline and chips a soft cross dropping to 5m center. Ball drops over GK Alvarado stranded at near post and showing no vertical component, off Sanders' head and in. That stings ... the simplest idea on the training ground, Mexico saw it coming and still couldn't stop it.

14. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see it, but the flags function more as references. If the entire ball was across the goal line either on the ground or in the air, then its out, regardless of where the flag or post were. If the ball bounces off the flag post back onto the field, it remains in play (similar to bouncing off a goalpost back onto the field).

blissett repped this.
  15. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    D16.Korea - Venezuela
    HT 0-0. I saw scrum after scrum in Venezuela's box, with bodies falling all over, and the ball seeking out GK Franyely Rodríguez's gloves again and again.

possession 58% - 42%, corners 6-0
    shots(sog-save) Korea 10(3-3), Venezuela 2(1-1)
    fouls 1-17 :oops:

One of those days.

16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Despite your accurate description, I can't say I am actually able to exactly picture the situation. I should see it to give my opionion about the ruling (can anyone make a caption?).
    Anyway, I agree that it sounds funny! :giggle:

17. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Mexico lost but it's nice to see new players emerge like Maria Sanchez, She seems to know her way on 'getting around'
    'Sofia Huerta' and sticks with the Mexican NT(as they obviously need her more)

18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Korea Republic-Venezuela 3-0

Well, I suppose Speckmaier is no Castellanos... :cautious:

19. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    I watched the Mexico - Germany game. I thought it was a closer game than the 3-0 scoreline indicated.

One thing stuck out to me, the majority of the Mexican players are from the US. Is it a case of the players feel more of a connection to Mexico, they didn't get a chance in the US system, or something different. The goalkeeper for Mexico was pretty weak, must be said.

20. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's a bit of both. Some play for Mexico because of heritage. Other would prefer to play for the USA but simply weren't picked. It really doesn't matter for youth teams, though, because players can still switch allegiance when it comes time to play for the senior team (e.g., Sydney Leroux). I know Sofia Huerta is of Mexican descent, but really wants to play for the USA senior team and has been holding out. She has been asked to play for the Mexican senior team several times and has turned them down hoping to get a USA call up.

21. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    blissett repped this.
  22. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's nice that some players even have that option.

There was another USA based player who ended up playing for another country (Portugal, if I recall correctly), after holding out several years for a USA call up, which never came. I cannot remember her name now.

23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Amanda Da Costa

Similarly, Nikki Phillips nee Krzysik, another player who came up through the US youth system, now tied to Poland

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  24. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    One of the least talented German team ever but they still easily qualified...how they do that??:ninja:...lool