PBP: 2016 FIFA WWC-20 Group B: ESP, CAN, JPN, NGA

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Gilmoy, Nov 13, 2016.

1. KAPIJXM

KAPIJXM Member+

Nov 18, 2011
    Illa de Arousa,Spain
    Club:
    Celta de Vigo
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    He was laughing about the PK call, not the FK before, watch before talk [emoji16]

Enviado desde mi Orange Roya mediante Tapatalk

2. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Based on Nigeria's horrific goal difference, it is pretty much wrapped up.
    Spain and Japan will be advancing from this group.
    It's just a matter of who wins the group at this point.

3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Let's see... a 5-0 win would be enough for Nigeria to catch up with Spain? In that case what the next tie-breaker would be?

Just fantasy, I know, but I am curious...

4. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #29 Lechus7, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    Kap, I assumed that he was laughing at the whole situation since even the spanish player looked surprised when ref awarded FK for a foul on her and then this following PK it was like early x-mas ;)

5. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Looks like Canada lost, but I say don't despair Canadians fans, the way the political upheaval is going in the states, in a couple of years you'll have the most powerful woso NT on the planet!
    safe_image.jpg

6. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes!!! We would never have another Democrat win an election in the USA ever!
    Although, I highly doubt NY, NJ, MA, or NV would ever join Canada.
    Heck, I remember a few years ago, when Quebec had a vote to break off from the rest of Canada, the other provinces were threatening to join the USA.
    Funny how all that works.

7. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Just getting the California players would ensure Canada as a superior women's national team over USA.
    They would also be adding in New Jersey and New York state.
    And certainly, adding Portland and Seattle gives them a more passionate fan-base. :D

And 6 of the 10 NWSL teams would now be Canadian (Houston, Orlando, Chicago, FCKC remain in USA).

8. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid

USA vs the new Canada(Amerricans based on colleges attended)

US
    ................................Harris

Krieger.......Sonnett........Sauerbrunn..........Klingenberg

..........................Brian
    O'Reilly........... .................................Heath

...........................Loyd

.........Dunn.........................Ohaj

new Canada

..............................Solo

Belanger......Buchannen....Zadorski...........Lawrence

..............................Mewis

Pugh..................................................Rapinoe

..............................Sinclair

................Morgan.................Williams

9. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    B19.Nigeria - Spain
    B20.Canada - Japan

6+6 (+6-0) Spain
    3+5 (+6-1) Japan
    3-4 (+3-7) Nigeria
    0-7 (+1-8) Canada

All four teams are mathematically still alive :eek:

Anthems!

blissett repped this.
  10. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    B19.[Nigeria-Spain]
    06' 0-1 Spain chip from ~arc top box left to 10m 6-right, chest trap bounces centerward. #17 Alba Redondo steps to ball already in her wheelhouse, shoots right instep pull through heavy traffic, rolls into back left low with GK Okeke screened.

12' 1-1 Nigeria right ck, outswings to ~10m 1/3 right to a contested jumping header. Ball caroms off the defender(?)'s shoulder, bounces down to 8m 1/5 right. #18 Ihuoma Onyebuchi pounces with ball in her stride, one-touch right instep past GK Maria "Mariasun" Quinones, into back right. Classic poacher's goal.

56' 1-1 Nigeria have 3 yellow cards on the field now! (+1 more subbed off at 47')

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  11. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #36 Gilmoy, Nov 20, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    B20.[Canada-Japan]
    26' 0-1 Japan left ck, inswings and drops at 4m 1/4 left, bounces off feet to 6m 1/4 left. #4 Ichise steps to it and blasts through the scrum, past Proulx, to 2/5 right kidney-high. #14 Regan, on the line, pirouettes away as ball hits her in the back and bounces down hard, pops up to 1m 1/3 left. #8 Yui Hasegawa is lurking right there, hop-volleys like Trinity in Matrix, into 1/4 left back high.

42' 0-2 #10 Momiki passes from arc top box right to #15 Miyagawa wide right. Backpass to #6 Sumida at 25m box right, she creeps centerward -- everybody has forgotten Momiki. Sumida passes to #18 Ueno coming back to arc top right as Momiki back-cuts through box top mid-right -- Ueno one-touch flick pass over her left ankle springs Momiki alone to 11m 6-right. Quick left-outstep stab, Proulx kick-saves ball back to 15m 6-right. Ueno collects, steps into a right roundhouse shot across mouth -- off Proulx's right fist or chickenwing, deflects up into back left high.

47' 0-3 Japan left ck, #6 Sumida plays short to #10 Momiki at 4m box left. Backpass to Sumida, #6 Rose bends her pursuit to chase ball. Forward pass to Momiki behind Rose, Momiki chips a cross to 5m right post. #12 Pickett heads it rightward, #18 Ueno settles with a sole-block, backpass to 15m 6-right. #20 Hayashi steps to ball, one-touch right foot golaaaazo past Proulx's dive, just inside right post 1/2 and still rising.

51' 0-4 Japan right throw-in at corner arc, backpass to 25m right touch. Forward passes up right touch, backpass to #10 Momiki at box top right. Momiki sprint-drives down box right, #18 Ueno instantly backpedals into space at box top mid-right. Momiki backpasses from 11m mid-right to Ueno standing at 14m 6-right. Ueno one-touch shot across body to 8m right post -- just behind #8 Hasegawa, so she one-touch backsweeps with right sole behind left calf, across mouth low, beats Proulx's dive, into 1/5 left back. :eek: So ... Japan does ping, ping, Rabona in the run of play :ninja:

73' 0-5 Japan simple pass to box top wide right -- somehow, all 20 field players are on the right side of the field?? 2-v-4, yet nobody picks up the RB(?) overlapping behind them ball down wide right. One-touch pass sends her past #2 Yekka stranded high, alone to 4m mid-right. Diagonal backpass splits the chasing backline, to 10m right post. Again it's just behind #8 Hasegawa near spot -- she dummies/backheels it on for #7 Sugita running on behind her, one-touch left foottop up into right roof. Ping ping ping ... like the Polgar sisters being gently coaxed to learn chess from ~4 yrs old to ~8 yrs old via hundreds of hours of tactical puzzles per year, and being pretty damn good at it by the time they're 9.

Canada don't really deserve this, but things snowball, and then it's one book trap in the opening after another. The best way to stop this is ... to know how to do it yourself, so that you can see it in practice a few times. Sigh.

lil_one and blissett repped this.
  12. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Didn't see the game but Nigeria beat us, we still go through I assume. Disappointing we couldn't get the win there. It looks like Nigeria made it a war with all of the fouls and cards though.

blissett repped this.
  13. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    72' 2-1 Nigeria chip high from midfield to 27m arc left, ball backspins to #9© Chinwendu Ihezuo's head, she nods it forward and arm-swims self between the 2 CBs. They dig ball away but quack it off her leg back into her stride -- Ihezuo dribbles once through box top arc left to 16m left post, shoots left instep past Quinones, into back right low.

FT 2-1. Japan in a group often necessitates the 10s digit :oops:

6+10 (+11-01) B1.Japan
    6+05 (+07-02) B2.Spain

6-03 (+05-08) Nigeria
    0-12 (+01-13) Canada

KAPIJXM, MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  14. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Curious: 2nd time in a row (Ghana in 2014) an African team gets eliminated in the group stage despite notching two victories.

blissett and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I didn't watch the match (I was watching Japan of course), but I am pleasantly surprised by the result. I knew Nigeria could win, but, since Japan was meanwhile winning by 5-0, I wouldn't have expected them to cling to the result so strongly. Have to bow to them and their sense of sportmanship. :notworthy:

African teams are known to be very physical, I hope their fouls didn't look too much bad and that it was a quite fair game anyway (Yellow cards seem to tell that referee directed well and didn't condone rough play, so Nigeria's choice of physical play could have easily backfired on them).

After Japan 0-1 loss vs Spain, I didn't hope we could have won the group. I am glad that we avoided an Asian clash vs North Korea. Now I wonder who we're going to meet: Sweden or Brazil? I bet Sweden. After Papua New Guinea's carnage, Brazil didn't look really bright and I suppose Blackstenius could be enough for Sweden to dispatch them.

On second though, I am a little worried thinking at what Blackstenius's speed could do to our Nadeshiko's defense, who's been uncharacteristically quite sloppy so far... :unsure:

Anyway, I had called this group as the most difficult of the tournament and, with 3 teams finishing at 6 points and everything decided by goal difference, it looks like I was right! :)

16. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad Japan got the #1 seed. Clearly the better team.

Assuming Korea DPR win out in Group A, there will be NO inter-confederation play for Groups A & B, in the next round.

Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  17. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Looking at the highlights of the game, just have to say how poor the goalkeepers are. I'll probably get blasted for saying this but as a whole the goalkeepers in the women's game are pretty terrible. Anyway, this is probably where it ends for Spain, I just don't see us progressing versus North Korea. I'll keep watching the tournament but I do hope there is a good game somewhere, I've been fairly disappointed in the quality of the games that I have watched.

blissett repped this.
  18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I guess this is something more than just an "assumption". Do you know many different ways that the match Korea DPR-Papua New Guinea can end? (I mean in our universe).

No disrespect meant to Papuan girls, but facts are facts: they aren't up to the task of playing even with any team at this World Cup.

19. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That still remains to be seen, I think there were several groups that were tough. Groups A and B having one team (i.e., PNG and Canada), which the other 3 could easily defeat, gives them each 3 easy points.

20. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hadn't even looked to see who they play. Just started typing. :oops:

21. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Exactly it would be with a huge loss for the whole tournament would Japan or Korea DPR had to go home early due to their clash in quarters. Imho these two are the most entertaining teams to watch in this tourney.

MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No blasts from me, I quite agree with you instead. The level of goalkeeping is quite low, especially at youth levels (and it suggests that it can't translate very well for Senior Teams in the future :unsure:).

The fact is that not only we see bad goalkeeping, but that you have the feeling that coaches aren't developing these players well, because some of them don't even seem to have grasped the basics of this role (and if you don't learn the basics at ground-level, you won't get many chances to get better later).

Well, aren't you overly pessimistic? Ok, North Koreans are a powerhouse at youth level, but, in the previous games, we've seen a quite good and disciplined Spain side; they were vice-Champions at U-17 level, while North Korea, if I am not wrong, were out early in 2014; and Spain did grow a little, since then. Ok, probably many problems emerged in the Nigeria game, that was a must-win for Spain (and that I didn't see), but I'd say that Korea DPR-Spain is a quite even clash, that could end either way (and that I look forward to watch :thumbsup:).

23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, although on paper Canada shouldn't have been such a disaster. But I agree about that. Let's see how the other groups shape out tomorrow.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  24. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Well I'm a pessimist by nature so yeah. About the goalkeepers, I've been a coach for 20 years for both boys and girls. On the girls side it has always been a chore to even get players to even play the position of goalkeeper and then it is usually one of the least athletic girls that decides to play. If there is one position that really calls out for athleticism, it is the goalkeeping position. And that is really missing on the girls side

debzy, MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  25. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, PNG scored on Korea DPR. :eek:
    Maybe the impossible isn't that impossible after all. ;)

debzy and blissett repped this.