PBP: 2016 FIFA WWC-20 Group B: ESP, CAN, JPN, NGA

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Gilmoy, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 Gilmoy, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    2016/11/12 Sat:
    B03.Spain - Canada
    02' 1-0 #8 Maria "Mariona" Caldentey -- welcome to PNG :eek::coffee:

frideswide repped this.
  2. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    30' 2-0 Spain backpass from arc top box left to 27m, long chip to 7m 1/4 right. #20 Lucia Garcia splits 2 and gets 1 step beyond them, fends off #20 Mika Richards on her back, sticks right leg straight out in front of her and volleys across mouth into back left low, past Foster frozen. Low-odds play strikes a jackpot.

35' 2-0 Odd, various crowd-only shots with a caption: "Satellite problems" -- fieldward cameras all out?
    36' 2-0 Field camera resumes!

3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hey, am I right that Deanne Rose, this year, played for Olympics, U-17 WWC and U-20 WWC? she doesn't stop, does her? :giggle:

4. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    58' 3-0 Spain cross from ~box left to 8m 1/5 right, #4 Aitana Bonati hop-heads through Foster's fingertips into 1/4 right high. Spain looking lethal, and having too much fun ...

5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Did I see right that there was a water break in the middle of 2nd half? Are water-breaks scheduled in this tournament? What's the temperature in Papua New Guinea in this season?

6. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 Gilmoy, Nov 13, 2016
    This match:
    • 32° C
    • 60% humidity
    • 10 m/s wind
    The other match is essentially identical, +/- 1° C, 1% humidity, and a few m/s.

87' 4-0 Spain dribbles 1-v-2 through box top mid-left, ball tackled away but stays in, trickles out to 5m wide left. #10 Andrea Falcon(?) gathers alone, crosses outswinging back to 9m center, deflects out through box top to arc top right. #12 Patricia "Patri" Guijarro runs on, blasts one-touch right foot low through traffic untouched, past Foster frozen, into back left low. A low golazo :eek: +5'.

90+5' (of +5') 5-0 #12 Patri pulls up at 22m mid-left, chips a high cross to 8m right post -- what's the idea? #20 Lucia Garcia runs behind her defender, perfect right sole knock-down in own stride, chases the bounce to 6m 1/4 right and toe-pokes it over flapping Foster, into back right high. Dang -- most U-20s don't even consider that pass because you can't possibly control it, and Spain controlled two of them.

FT 5-0.

MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  7. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spain killed Canada. Didn't see that coming.

8. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Japan is killing Nigeria, up 5-0 in the 66 minute.

blissett repped this.
  9. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Did Canada have a good team coming in? I know almost nothing about football at this level. I do know that this Spanish side is pretty good. The game against Japan will tell us a lot on how good or not they are. I do find it encouraging the growth of the women's game is in Spain, especially at the youth level.

KAPIJXM repped this.
  10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #11 SiberianThunderT, Nov 13, 2016
    Spain has been great at the both youth levels for the past four or five years now. Canada, on the other hand, is only good at the youth level in CONCACAF, and they've rarely made it out of the group stage a the U20 level - two of three three times they did so were when they hosted the tournament, and only one of those did they make the semis. So I don't know about this Canada team coming in to this particular tournament, but they don't have a great track record.

11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They anyway have a player who's apparently good enough to play Olympics, U-17 WWC and U-20 WWc in the same year! (Deanne Rose) :giggle:

12. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    It will be interesting to see if this translates to the senior team for Spain, especially now that they have changed the coaching last year. There still isn't a whole lot of support in general in Spain (I mean in MARCA the news for women are on the back pages if at all, meanwhile what Ronaldo has for breakfast is on the front page) but I think it is improving.

KAPIJXM, Gilmoy and blissett repped this.
  13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Having the right coach will certainly be key... Even back at the 2015 WWC, they had the talent to maybe crack the top eight, certainly top twelve. But they drew CRC and lost to KOR when they should have won both, and only lost to BRA by one when they probably could've drawn.

blissett repped this.
  14. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not surprised that Spain won; I don't think Canada is that good.
    However, I didn't think Spain could score 5 against them, and keep Canada off the board.

15. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching the highlights, it seems to me that Nigeria's goalkeeper should have had 2 of those goals.

16. justink

justink Member

Jul 15, 2000
    The consensus amongst Cdn supporters is that they were in a tough group and the team selected wasn't the best. Some players like Jesse Fleming were consciously left out (which makes sense), some may have decided to play US college instead and others were picked because they had already committed not to play college even though their performance probably didn't warrant a selection anymore. And team age wise is quite young - more like a u18 team.

After a pre-tourney warmup against France where Canada lost 2-0, the French manager said Canada is no good.

5-0 doesn't fully reflect the match as 2 were scored at the end when Canada was gassed. And all of Spain's goals were beauties which is a bit of anomaly. But other than for about 10 mins in the 2nd half, Canada wasn't in the match at all.

lil_one, Lechus7, MiLLeNNiuM and 2 others repped this.
  17. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Match day 1

KAPIJXM repped this.
  18. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Japan goes down.
    Spain is going to be a monster at the senior level very soon.

19. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    She scored in the Olympics, and if Japan has trouble again finding the back of the net against Canada, then Rose could be the difference on one athletic scoring opportunity, as she is more athletic than any of Japan's girls.

With that being said, I expect Japan to beat Canada by at least 2 goals.
    Possibly 4-0 (or worse).

Japan still has the better "team" (and it's not really all that close).

20. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    - for sure each time anyway when they will have ref's in their corner ;)

21. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Not the greatest of games. A draw would have been the fair result. As far as how the youth success will translate to the senior team, that really isn't a good indicator (at least on the men's side of the game). I still think there needs to be much more support for the women in Spain (I believe the funding is lower than most European countries for women's football).

KAPIJXM and blissett repped this.
  22. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're suggesting that wasn't a hand ball, then I disagree.
    I've seen worse calls for PK's, and the ref was right in front of the play and could see it clearly.

23. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    I don't argue PK - you seen them given - but FK leading to it just before was laughable - even Spanish coach was laughin. I'm talking bout double standards shown by Costarican ref for the whole game not to mention really low skills of AR's with some phantom offsides calls. Japan had their chances but missed them no argue there but Spain owe a big thanks to the refs for how this match was run.

blissett repped this.
  24. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I totally agree with you on the free kick, that call was a joke. The only consolation for Japan is that if they had to play again, they could just as easily win the rematch, so it's not like Spain was better than them.

What I found interesting is that the coach of Japan's full women's national team is also the coach of the U-20's.

blissett repped this.