2016 FIFA U-20's WWC - Quarter-Final # 3 - USA vs Mexico (pre/pbp/post)

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by MiLLeNNiuM, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I like speed off the bench. I like speed in the starting lineup even more.

Namdynamo repped this.
  2. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #127 jackdoggy, Nov 25, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
    Replay Alert - Fox Sports Plus, Dish Network Channel 391 Friday Morning, 11:00 a.m. Central Time

3. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Yeah, but underneath it all, she's thinking "Nah nah na nah nah! I won! I won!"

4. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Nothing needs to be said.

MiLLeNNiuM and PacmanJr_00 repped this.
  5. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Big picture is this buys French at least four more years

Gilmoy repped this.
  6. winster

winster Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Club:
    Besiktas JK
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but Pugh's style is very direct:
    Get to the endline...cross
    Get a running start, beat one player with a quick cut, then keep running.
    She's more Donovan than Dempsey.

7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too wondered about the US players being nervous. They seemed slow to react until Mexico scored its goal, plus they muffed a bunch of free kicks, plus they made some of the worst passes I've seen them make in the tournament. That's something that can happen if you're nervous. These young women have played a lot, but this is a level of pressure most of them aren't used to -- not even Pugh, since any success with the senior NT is "beyond expectations" which is a completely different psychological dynamic. You have to learn how to play under pressure, and not everyone can learn to do it. That's part of the culling out process.

Got me to thinking about another reason to keep some players around on the senior NT, when they're past their playing primes. Possibly keep a few of those who have proved themselves able to handle the pressure, so they can help the younger players with it.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  8. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the TV commentating on FS1 pretty much matched the gist of the comments on this thread.

9. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noooooo!!!
    Say it ain't so colonel.

10. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching a replay, I think you're right. It's funny how your mind can play tricks in the heat of the moment when watching a live match.

In fact, the USA's players did not play badly, although, they were pinned in their half for long stretches in the match.
    However, Mexico only really had one good goal scoring opportunity - when Murphy came out and Crowther hit it over the goal.

I think the USA did a good job of controlling tempo in all their matches. They slowed the game down and didn't allow it to be played at a frenetic pace, which would have been to their disadvantage.

11. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I wonder if it was a mistake making Pugh captain. She is already saddled with being the teams star and at 18 that is probably enough of a burden. Maybe someone like Riehl who is older, also been there before and coming off a college cup win might have shared the load with Pugh.

12. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ogle is the captain when Pugh isn't around. When Pugh came off the other day she gave the armband to Ogle.

13. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    agree with some of this. but we were still poor. here's what i wrote in the international thread:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

french doesn't have this team playing well, but she has them playing smart. they have a plan for each game, and are sticking to it. we some time ago, lost the old usa speed/size/athleticism advantage, and, to me, we never had great skill, so, imho, the coach is simply being pragmatic.

the defense has to protect murphy, and pugh and sanchez will have to save the offense for them to get past dprk. seems like too much.

...and, oh, they have to pass and move more quickly. also seems too much. their passes are mostly obvious and slow and they are easy to close down and intercept.

neither ogle, nor demelo, nor scarpa, nor murphy have impressed me, and on a poor team, an injured cousins is a huge miss.

i think the players who decided to stay in college make a big difference in the us youth system which is not pro or full time for the players. but other teams are missing good players too.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  14. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Germany, for sure, and it cost them the game against France.

15. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    I think when it comes to commentary it's not only what you say, but how you say it.

17. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #142 MiLLeNNiuM, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016

Posted yesterday on Youtube.com/ussoccer site.

jackdoggy repped this.
  18. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    This entire game was disjointed. Not much fluent passing between anybody, except for the two late goals. Both plays were well orchestrated and clever. But not enough of that has been consistently shown.

The level of play in France-Germany was several clear degrees of magnitude above the USA-Mexico game. France is improving as the tournament goes on, playing much better than the tentative 0-0 draw in group play.

The U.S. is an underdog against North Korea - I doubt we'll be able to handle their high pressure style - but if they do get the upset win, will be an underdog against either of France or Japan too.

lil_one and blissett repped this.
  19. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take the underdog role any day.
    Korea DPR are certainly a good team, but I have confidence that USA won't make it easy for them.
    Also, because they attack in numbers, they will leave a lot of openings for counter attack.