2016 FIFA U-20's WWC - Quarter-Final # 3 - USA vs Mexico (pre/pbp/post)

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by MiLLeNNiuM, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    At this point you can't try and change your game. I'd put in your best performing players right from the get go. Watt has offered much more than I have seen from Scarpa (?) this whole tournament.

Namdynamo and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  2. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Is it the coaching or just the general poor soccer intelligence from the players?

3. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I almost agree, but I think Scarpa is a better passer than Watt.
    It's not a bad thing to bring in Watt late to burn tired defenders with her speed.
    However, I would bring her in a little sooner.

jackdoggy repped this.
  4. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #104 MiLLeNNiuM, Nov 25, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
    Both.

We have youth players who are better at passing and solving pressure, but some chose to stay in college.

As for coaching, there are tons of great coaches out there.
    Why we chose to hire inept coaches for our youth teams baffles me.

With all the time French has had with this group, you'd think practicing the short passing game would be on her list of things to do.

sitruc repped this.
  5. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Mostly on the coaching. I have no idea what the hell they're doing in practice, but even Pugh, who is a fantastic player (even for the full USWNT) has looked all out of sorts this tournament. Have to put it mostly on the coaching and lack of preparation. The players look like they have no idea what tactical approach to employ.

sitruc, Namdynamo and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  6. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Maybe but if Scarpa can't hold up the ball to be able to pass it, she isn't much use. The Mexican center forward looked a heck of a lot better in that role.

7. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who happens to be another USA-based player. Funny how that works.

8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They played against each other in the 2010 WC...only time its ever happened in a WC, AFAIK.

9. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    French is thinking: I subbed in Hedge. I subbed in Watt. I'm a genius.

:D

sitruc, jackiesdad, Namdynamo and 3 others repped this.
  10. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico coaches have to be kicking themselves after this match for not clamping down the defense in the last 10 minutes.

jnielsen repped this.
  11. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    I've seen Pugh play for Real National here in Colorado. Very good player I agree, however, I tend to think it was in spite of the coaching there. Let's just say that as a club, they play very direct and certainly don't teach a sophisticated style of play.

jnielsen and Germerica repped this.
  12. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, this GIF actually made me tear up. (I have two sisters and we all grew up playing soccer together and played against each other a few times at the club level, so I can sort of imagine what it would be like...not that any of us were ever going to play in a WC).

jnielsen, Ghost, blissett and 2 others repped this.
  13. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now, how to keep Korea DPR off the board for 80 minutes. :speechless: :sick:

Germerica repped this.
  14. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  15. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Thanks for your play by play. It was refreshing compared to what we had to hear on tv.

lil_one and Juanele repped this.
  16. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    I had to mute it. Especially the female commentator, she called the game like everyone watching was 6 years old.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  17. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who was announcing on the TV?
    I was watching the Fox stream online, where they had a British announcer.

18. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm watching the FS2Go stream, where the pbp is a lone Brit guy. He's quite sharp, and gets appropriately excited at the proper times. For both teams :mad:

Even so, I actually had him turned way down.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  19. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Sorry, don't remember the name. Though it's probably for the best :D

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  20. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wwwwwwwwwell thanks for the heads-up.:D:D

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  21. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I think the difference was in French's pulling Pugh back into the midfield. She was winning challenges and organizing the attacks. That change made it even more evident how woefully poor the USA midfield was performing. I totally don't understand all the hype around Ogle. She's been poor to nonexistent all tournament.

Namdynamo repped this.
  22. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #122 MiLLeNNiuM, Nov 25, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
    Ogle makes good decisions, but she's slow. Also, she's better as a defensive mid, not an attacking mid.
    However, whoever you put in there, they need to have support.

All our midfielders have looked bad and I put that squarely on the shoulders of our coaches.
    French is clueless about creating a strategy for midfield play.
    Boy, what I wouldn't give to bring aboard a good Japanese, Spanish, or French coach to teach our girls about passing and midfield play/strategy.

When Ogle was playing in the 2015 NCAA tournament for Penn State along with Raquel Rodriguez, they dominated tempo and set play for the team. It also helped that the head coach realized (late in the season) that the 4-4-2 wasn't working and adjusted to support her midfield.

23. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My only consolation in this match was that Mexico didn't score against the run of play.

24. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I think Ogle was playing holding mid and Flores was attacking.
    My opinion Ogles good decisions are in playing negatively 90% of the time because she has no hope of creating something going forward. She does make an occasional interception because the attackers forget about her. They missed cousins. But Pugh was better than the rest in the midfield. Sanchez created the goals and Pugh's dummy was great.
    Agree would like to get some flair and combinations going in the youth ranks. The kids are out there who can play intelligent and entertaining soccer, but they are often overlooked.

Namdynamo and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  25. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I may be in the minority, but I didn't think the game was nearly as one-sided as the announcers made it out to be. Mexico played skillfully and well. The US didn't. But at the same time, I don't think Mexico really had that many great chances. It was a lot of not all that dangerous half-chances. And they only scored on a fluky handball and a keeper misplay. The two US goals, plus some other moments, were more dangerous than anything that Mexico really had (other than the Murphy misplay on the long ball into the box.

I would agree that tactically we were lacking.

Namdynamo, cpthomas and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.