2016 Crew Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kayak, Dec 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C-Bus20

C-Bus20 Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GB said on soccer speakeasy podcast that they would pickup the option on Meram but that does not mean he cant be sold. Id love to see Afful stay but I feel like he will be gone too. Martinez does not impress me at all and I still think Pipa has something to offer. To all of you who think Steve Clark needs to go I say you are crazy. Sure his feet make me nervous but he is easily one of the best shot stoppers in the league and many teams would take him over their current situation. I am not sold on Sauro but I do hope Naess stays. Other than that this roster is an open book ready for change and who knows maybe GB impresses with some signings this offseason.

2. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Why do you think Afful will be gone?

Sauro depends on health and what the staff knows and Believes about recovery. If healthy he is worth the salary and he should start. Parkhurst is the one that needs a pay cut or salary slash.

Higauin is not worth DP money maybe 250-400k
    Otherwise you only keep him if you fail to landed a impact DP to take his starting spot

3. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have at it.....

Would you rather:
    1) Have our current roster and coach
    or
    2) A clean slate like Atlanta

4. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    That's a good question.

Probably 1) but only because it is so difficult to start from scratch.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  5. Robbiegoal

Robbiegoal Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely #1

6. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not the point. By all accounts he is slotted at DM and he is much smaller than Trapp - who many think is a bit slight. If he were AM and lighting quick and highly technical, fine. But at DM, size does matter a bit more. I truly hope he is the next wiz kid, but if couldn't get PT in Pittsburgh, does he have a future in Pros? Why didn't he get PT? Was it a physical stature issue that technical/tactical abilities couldn't overcome?

7. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'd love to know myself maybe they had a great player at his position already

8. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. A Guy

A Guy Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Does it matter? Not everyone on the roster is expected to contribute, especially by Gregg. Even when the team performs like shit, he puts the same tired line-up out. Maybe it's because he had garbage depth, or maybe he's a stubborn mule.

Do I really care if Swanson (who will be what-18/19) is anything more than an open cup player and hopefully USL affiliate starter? Not in the slightest. If he isn't coming from the bench the year after, maybe we jettison him like we did Speas.

But he's hardly an issue compared to Cedrick, Parkhurst, Pipa, Casey, and Barson who are both much older and not earning their spots/wages.

TRUJDUB, the_rickler and CybrSlydr repped this.
  11. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus

Crew will probably have a better record than Atlanta next year. But having a big, enthusiastic fan base and a free spending billionaire owner committed to winning makes me think they might win MLS cup before CCSC does.

ibrew repped this.
  12. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't include Barson as he can't catch a break with Afful ahead of him. He's basically depth at this point, and the few times I have seen him play the last few years he seems to have been good, but then again I don't remember what I ate for lunch yesterday. But I also remember that Parkhurst has turned into total shit.

Eboe

catfish9, Psycho_Derek and the_rickler repped this.
  13. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It matters because we are paying him to be a pro. If he isn't going to be a pro, that's money to spend elsewhere. Same goes for the others you listed. They all need to earn what they are being paid. Doesn't mean they need to be starter. If you're paid like a backup/depth player (Barson), then that's OK - We need some of those guys. But if you're paid like a starter, then you should start (Cedrick, Parkhurst, Pipa). Casey - well his time is up. Paid like a spot starter/sub and doesn't see the field - Bye bye!

Will be interesting to see what does happen this offseason with the roster.

14. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure this really deserved a breaking news email...
    Screenshot_20161025-121320.png

15. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adam Jahn turned out to be pretty productive for us. I think he's one of the few players that all of us here agree on.

16. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GGG sure got a lot of flack when the signing was announced, tho, didn't he??

17. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    He did, I'll even hold my hand up on that one. It did look like an MLS equivalent of a panic buy. Deadline day, exhausted any overseas options. Not a flashy move in the least. Gave up TAM (which, obviously we weren't going to use at the time, so why not?) to get him. I'm happy to eat crow on Jahn and hope he serves up more of it next season.

18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I appreciate an honest poster.

19. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Of course! Now that I think about it, pretty sure it wasn't deadline day and we weren't yet futzing around with MacDonald, don't remember the exact series of events, but it was close enough for it to look at first glance like a move for the sake of making a move.

20. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I don't think I posted it, but I was sure as sh*t thinking it. :)

21. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time for the 2017 roster thread

22. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just started preseason 2017 thread with Carolina Challenge Cup announcement

23. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should be the off-season roster thread, not the 2017 roster thread, rookie.

Eboe