2016 Crew Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kayak, Dec 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He looked fine at Giant Eagle.

2. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also put a video on instagram and appeared to be moving fine but who knows when that was made.

3. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Can confirm a different knee issue is going on. Can he play through it?? Does not seem wise at all. Will he be profitable for the future of this club with yet another knee issue. In my humble opinion. No. Two very healthy (durable) CB's are needed.

4. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Parkhurst starting is a problem. Sauro needs to stay healthy next year. Why Naess left last night instead of Parkhurst leads me to believe that he will be back and is Gregg's guy despite the fact he sucks.

Players needed cut or not retained

1 Casey
    2 Barson
    3 Parkhurst

They added nothing last night confirmed the fact that they suck for this system

Robbo Crewfan and A Guy repped this.
  5. milhouse7

milhouse7 Member

May 22, 2010
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Once again, "the system" was in place all season, and where did that get us? I'm not saying that Casey would have been my first choice as a sub on Wednesday, or that Barson had the best game of his career, but I'm struggling to see how people can say either of them don't fit into the system when they have little to no opportunity to get minutes with the first team in game situations this last year and are forced to make spot appearances when the stakes are higher and they will be under more scrutiny. If the past has taught us anything, the majority of the reserves that go to other teams end up starting/getting substantially more PT than they were getting while with the Crew.

6. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, barson isnt an attack first wingback style fullback like afful and francis. Simple enough.

Casey just sucks. Though if you want a better answer, he isnt mobile enough to play as a lone striker, in any single striker system. Its just a fact. Though, tbf, he was bought as a third place guy behind kei and ola. He's still shit though. Get rid of him and buy a young guy with a little potential, or promote Hollingsworth.

Draghignazzo and TRUJDUB repped this.
  7. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What positions does Hollingsworth play? Correct me if im wrong, but i thought I remembered seeing him play all over the place (especially as a winger and fullback) for Pittsburgh. When we drafted him he was a midfielder and Transfermarkt has him listed as an Attacking Midfielder. Wikipedia says midfielder and fullback. He appears to have gone from a striker to a left-back in FIFA.

With no definitive source telling me otherwise, he sounds like a younger version of Jimenez.....which would be good to have on the team.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  8. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Striker to left back. He must have been some shitty striker.

9. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need a thrid string guy that can run, not luis suarez.

10. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the Kei pk fiasco, could you imagine what would happen if Suarez bit someone again?? They might shoot him on the spot.

Shamrock Rovers and TRUJDUB repped this.
  11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Casey might have been a useful late game sub--but he got hurt. I have no problem with letting him go. Jahn fills that bill just fine.

Tobias C and the_rickler repped this.
  12. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Anyone think we could get Grella? Either TAM/GAM/slot trade or does he have enough years that he could use whatever the limited free agent option is to go to a different club for more money? He's a talented player, but not beyond the Crew's fiscal ability. He is listed at $155K. So $225 or something like it would be a significant raise for him and we could do that if it was needed.

I know we have more pressing needs in the center of the pitch. We are stuck with the mentality (for sentimental reasons I think) that our CM/DM's are irreplaceable. But in addition to our CM/DM and CB needs, I'd like to add a player like Grella. With him and JM9 on the field, we'd certainly create more chances.

13. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'd create more with JM9 OFF the field, like on another team.

Close him down and intercept one of his crappy passes or just take the ball when he tries to Messi through four defenders...

14. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    At least he tries and sometimes success only comes after failure. We have guys that don't or rarely try and we shipped Oduro out of here but Finlay is very similar .

Grella would be a excellent addition but I think the Native New Yorker would get the Redbulls to match any offer we make

15. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    I think the best way to defend Meram and guys like that is to stand off and not close him down, just make him pass because his vision isn't as good as his dribbling.

ibrew repped this.
  16. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    True and then he tries to dribble anyways and they take it from him. If only we had a playmaking CAM he could do a nice 1-2 combo with

17. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You mean Duka, right?

... I'll show myself out.

TRUJDUB and the_rickler repped this.
  18. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/mls-statistical-leaders

You sure? #3 in big chances created in the league. #2 Dribbles completed in the league , with this team. . . this year. Does not sound too bad.
    Maybe we need more people who will take defenders one on one. Played the 3rd most minutes with 5 goals and 12 assists. 72% passing accuracy. Again pretty good.
    Maybe it was the rest of the team and not Meram?

NUFC Fan, Jaybir, cleazer and 5 others repped this.
  19. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    74% of all statistics are made up.

CrewV Man and Draghignazzo repped this.
  20. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Meram is solid. Not great and not terrible. I think there are too many on both sides on Meram. One camp thinks he's the second coming of Messi and the other thinks he's not good enough for a pick up game in the park. He has 12 assists and 5 goals on the season. To me, that's pretty darn good.

21. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Stop being reasonable. You'll never be prepared for the off season with that attitude. Do you even know where you are? Hyperbole or GTFO.

22. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im fine with Meram. If he continues on as a starter im fine with it as long as he stays productive. Im also fine with it if we trade, sell, or release him.

I could see us selling him to a team in the Middle East where hes a familiar face from the Iraq National Team. I think he makes an appropriate wage currently but wouldnt give him anymore unless he really lights up the league all of a sudden. Maybe a move to a middle eastern league could prove similar to Schoenfelds fortunes (slightly lesser prestige/difficulty/talent level) in Israel but where he can possibly make more money. He did mention that "he had options" before this season.

If that were to happen, I would be happy for him and happy for us.

23. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone keeps talking about him moving to the middle east, but I have yet to see anything indicating Meram wants to do that.

24. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly - dude was born in Michigan. The first time he EVER visited Iraq was when he was called up for their national team. He's also a Christian - because when I think Christians living in peace and harmony, I think the middle east.

redi44crew and Shamrock Rovers repped this.
  25. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah i dont know that he would be interested in moving there because clearly he has not done so yet. Not so much Iraq, but theres other relatively safe, modern countries like the UAE, where I suspect he might be able to make the same, if not more money, should we decide hes not worth anymore than he makes and no other MLS team wants his salary.

Regardless, i like the idea of letting him and Finlay fight over one spot and maybe signing a TAM level minimum winger for the other side. It would be nice to have our own Piatti. Then spend DP bucks on an Higuain replacement and rock solid DM. Just my opinion.

ibrew, TRUJDUB and the_rickler repped this.