2016 Copa América Centenario: Confirmed & Added to FIFA Calendar [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by SamKyon, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Peru and Colombia have played in previous Gold Cups

elviejomen and HomietheClown repped this.
  2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It is so weird how little decisions here and there can change the whole landscape of Futbol.

If Sampaoli were manager of Chile he would have brought mostly subs to this competition (at least that was his initial plan).
    How different things could have been if that would have happened.

3. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we started with Sampaoli quitting because he was sick of his Federation...and ended with Messi et al. quitting because they're sick of their Federation.

HomietheClown repped this.
  4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Well done.:thumbsup:

5. maxsanta

maxsanta Member

Colo Colo
    Netherlands
    Dec 2, 2009
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    In the case of WC94 it's clear that heat was a factor in that. So yeah, location can be an indicator.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  6. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    @Paul Calixte , do you feel proud for Bousejeour of Haitian parents having won again the Copa America and played so well in the final?

7. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    In oher news... Today I've watched a fooball lesson at the Euro, given by the Italians. Directed by Bruno Conti, it was like a beautiful symphony with every instrument playing at the right time, just perfect.
    This was a good opportunity for the neophytes around here that think tiki taka is "the bomb". Watch it if you have the chance
    Now comes Germany.

8. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh...Italy finished what the Dutch and Chile started two years ago. Spain had a good run, though...
    Glad for him, especially since he didn't choke with his penalty. Was even more ecstatic when he scored in the 2010 World Cup finals, making him the third Haitian to do so after Joe Gaetjens (USA, 1950) and the Haitian legend Manno Sanon in '74. Still waiting on you, Jozy :cautious:

9. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #1634 Rickdog, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    Jean Beausejour, also scored once in 2014 (first and only chilean player to ever score in 2 consecutive WC's)

Paul Calixte repped this.
  10. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #1635 Nico Limmat, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    I really hope so (and the others as well if the reports are true). This is a quality Argentina side and it would be a shame to see it fall apart. There seem to be underlying conflicts with the AFA but it wouldn't surprise me if at least part of the reason Messi plans on retiring is the mental burnout after playing three consecutive summer tournaments. It's something the supporters of a "Copa Pan-Americana" (on top of the existing Copa and Gold Cup) really ought to consider.
    I know you like to differentiate but the masses won't since the 2016 winner goes on the list/historical trophy.

Luckily for you it won't matter and good on you for skirting that debate. :D

11. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #1636 Rickdog, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    This has never been about me.
    I've been saying since the begining that CAC is a diferent type of tournament, on relation to the normal CA, although whatever happens in it still counts for the records and stats of the same (so for everyone's knowledge, we do, have 2 wins : 2015 and 2016). They co-exist together.
    Pretty recently, Conmebol gave out a delaration to express their view about it, because many tend to confuse the issues here (even the new president of Conmebol had that confussion, and a few days before had made a sad speech where he ignored this basic facts :confused: , which was the reason why Conmebol needed to give out this short declaration, to clear some concepts here).

http://www.conmebol.com/es/aclaracion-sobre-el-titulo-de-campeon-de-copa-america-centenario

During our discussions over it many said that the champion of CAC, at the end would receive 2 trophys : the trophy representative of this tournament with gold covering and the regular CA trophy which is made of silver and therefore is colored silver (francly, I wasn't so sure myself about this last issue, reasons why I didn't feel I was in position to discuss over it).
    For everyone who saw the final awarding ceremony, the chilean team only received one trophy : the golden one.
    The original trophy wasn't even there, during the ceremony.

;)

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Azurri play strict, disciplined defense but they're also abysmal to watch and typically a very pompous bunch. Every Italian win is a nail in the coffin of beautiful football.

13. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Depends on your definition of "beautiful football".

A tight defending team with movements of its players in complete harmony one to the others, depending how their opponent moves in the pitch, could also be considered as being beautiful. All depends on the watcher's eyes

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think Messi will make a comeback...

...in the next Copa Centenario whatever its new tournament name will be in 2020. :D

15. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Only if he is over 129 years old and still playing to win his first ever, as next one should be in 2116.
    :D

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Hence. I said whatever they call it cause they won't call it that.:D

Rickdog repped this.
  17. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Ok folks, I think just about everything (and more) about this special edition Copa America Centenario has been said. We will reconvene here if and when CONMEBOL and CONCACAF put forward an official proposal for a combined tournament on the FIFA calendar.