2016 Copa América Centenario: Confirmed & Added to FIFA Calendar [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by SamKyon, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think the thrashings that Mexico and Team USA received means a stop to any more tournaments like this. A shame as I have really enjoyed it, and enjoyed that it kicked the Euro's ass in ratings in the Americas.

2. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, to be honest with ourselves, we'll keep on inviting those two to the regular Copa América even if this kind of tournaments don't happen again...

3. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Well, that worked out well overall for CONMEBOL. Got their hands on North American money without risking too much on the field. No CONCACAF side was truly a threat. Even with that disappointing Brazil. While we all know CONMEBOL loves money we also know they hate it when a guest succeeds. The discontinuation of invitation for the Copa Sudamericana comes to mind after Pachuca won it, or the Libertadores rule that makes the final series end in South America no matter what. River Plate benefited from that one as recently as last year.

Guess I'm partial to Chile now since this "Centenario" overshadows their accomplishment last year. Would be nice to see them win it again to have undisputed recognition until 2019.

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I have no idea what to expect now that the weather is probably going to be so horrible. Severe thunderstorms expected all night in Chicago.

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Chinese teams like the fact they can get Copa America players in their League.

This is the risk you take in that sort of investment.

7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, tip o' the cap to Argentina as they were easily the much better side, as predicted. I'm just sorry the US didn't prove a more formidable foe.

I'd predicted 4-1 on another board, sadly even that gave too much credit to the US attack. Clearly I'd neglected to recall the options available on the bench once Wood and Jones were taken out of the picture. Wondo, Zusi and Beckerman are now only slightly above average players in MLS, so relying on the likes of them to lead the charge against Argentina is a rather damning indictment. And I say this as a MLS fan. Didn't help that Cameron was poor and they surrendered a goal so early. Once that first one went in the midfield lost all shape and couldn't retain possession, with everyone overcompensating for each others' mistakes. C'est la vie. Hope for a redemptive showing on Saturday.

Meanwhile I hope Lavezzi heals quickly.

I don't see why that would be the case. Let's be honest and respect that Argentina and Brazil should traditionally be pretty far ahead of everyone regardless, while right now Chile is enjoying a golden generation and Colombia rediscovering some of their potential. That those teams are so good right now doesn't mean that a handful of CONCACAF sides won't get better and provide decent competition. No one thinks Germany is light years beyond Brazil due to one game or that Mexico is incapable of coming back in 2 years time and beating Chile.

There are plenty of reasons for this merged event to not take place again, but the showings for the US and Mexico this year won't be one of them. I feel, anyway.

8. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    UEFA doesn't love money?

River Plate was clearly better than Tigres in the final, there is no indication on the field to point out that they benefited from it other than mere hatred for South American success.

9. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Not to the point where we start selling our tournaments - no. But you know what, suit yourselves. As long as the guest slots don't get the FIFA calendar treatment I don't really care.
    First of all, I agree with you. River Plate didn't need that added advantage last year. I am talking about the principal. CONMEBOL loves taking Mexican money but doesn't really want to see a Mexican winner. It's the only way you can explain this rule. Hosting the second leg is a (statistically) proven advantage. Whether you want to admit it or not.

10. maxsanta

maxsanta Member

Colo Colo
    Netherlands
    Dec 2, 2009
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    The money in this tournament is both South and North American. And it was split between the 2 confederations. And the one from ticket revenue stays in North America.

11. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe 2/3 of the TV and commercial money went to CONMEBOL? Certainly the majority, otherwise what's the point of this Centenario from a South American perspective?

12. maxsanta

maxsanta Member

Colo Colo
    Netherlands
    Dec 2, 2009
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Yes, but those rights aren't only North American money. Despite what some may think, not only people in North America watched this tournament. That is my point.

13. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Perhaps the answer is a bit of "What's good for the goose is good for the gander."

CONCACAF could expand their Gold Cup to a field of 16 and invite two teams from, oh I don't know, South America to come and participate in the event. Maybe not Argentina and Brazil but the likes of Colombia and Uruguay now and again. Just thinking out loud here.

Still think they should make the Gold Cup 16 teams and once every 4 years, and in lieu of the 2nd Gold Cup have a tournament for just North and Central America.

14. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'd like a 16 teams Copa América with invitations to USA, México, Japan, South Korea, Australia and Ghana, just to mess with Nico Limmat and his no confederation mixing policy... :D

Suyuntuy and faiyez repped this.
  15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That was CONCACAF forbidding Mexico to take part in both competitions. They picked the Libertadores.

http://www.mediotiempo.com/futbol/m...-participacion-de-mexico-en-copa-sudamericana

June 30th 2009

MEXICO CAN NO LONGER PLAY THE SUDAMERICANA DUE TO A CONCACAF DEMAND

The Federacion Mexicana de Futbol informed this Tuesday that CONCACAF announced that the Mexican clubs won't return to participate, from now on, in the Copa Sudamericana, event organized by CONMEBOL. Justino Compean and Decio De Maria, President and Secretary of the FMF, gave an urgent press conference to give details of the deal negotiated by both parties [CONCACAF & the Mexican Federation] since Sunday afternoon.

"Clubs from CONCACAF, coming from the USA, Mexico & Central America, have taken part in the Copa Sudamericana since 2005, Pachuca even won it in 2006. CONCACAF had agreed with CONMEBOL to allow participation in the South American tournament for four years, but the agreement ended in 2008, when Guadalajara and San Luis competed.

"I think at this point they are protecting the CONCACAF tournaments, and we're part of this confederation. Now, with the CONCACAF Champions League in its second year, and with a higher level of activity within the confederation, CONCACAF has decided not to extend the relationship with CONMEBOL in this competition, specifically," stated the communique read by De Maria.

-----------

After Pachuca won the Sudamericana, Mexican clubs participated for two more years. CONMEBOL NEVER TRIED TO STOP THEM FROM CONTINUING TO PARTICIPATE, THAT'S A BIG FAT LIE. It was CONCACAF that demanded they only take part in one competition, because the CONCACAF Champions League had started and the Mexican clubs were not paying it due respect.

Pipiolo repped this.
  16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That guy just hates South America, everything he posts is bashing it.

Forget Australia, get Algeria instead and we got the Top 16 non-UEFA teams.

PS: And Costa Rica is better than ROK right now.

17. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You mean Sepp Blatter, Jr? :rolleyes:

18. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    What can I say, I need my order in world football. :D

(And no invitation for Switzerland? How rude!)
    Did not know that. Thank you.
    Oh please. I happen to have family connections to South America. As mentioned repeatedly, I don't like the increasingly blurry lines between confederations in the Americas from a governance point of view (and this is the right forum for that discussion, even if South American posters don't like it.) Having said that, I do have a distinct dislike for the CONMEBOL leadership.
    Pretty sure Sepp was very close to the likes of Grondona.

Suyuntuy and Sandinista repped this.
  19. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    So the final is Chile-Argentina.

On a totally different note, did we ever get to find out whether these Centenario games are "cap-tying" for the CONCACAF teams (I presume they are for CONMEBOL). Any English-Jamaican case? Haiti?

20. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since it's on the FIFA calendar for us (i.e. we're not guest teams), I assume the answer's yes.

21. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nobody expected a CONCACAF side to be "truly a threat". Most neutral observers (and many partisan ones) would rank the best CONCACAF teams, Mexico and the USA, with the middle-of-the-pack CONMEBOL teams (i.e. Colombia, Ecuador, Uruguay, Paraguay, etc.).

As a USA supporter, I already consider our performance to be a successful one, and would be very happy if we were able to beat Colombia or even lose on PK's. Nobody in their right mind expected us to get past the semifinals.

22. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'm not sure of the logic. Mexico and USA received heavy defeats at the hands of the teams that made the final. Both of them got past South American opposition to get to where they were. Those South American teams they beat could also have been on the receiving end of floggings. I think its more politics (and fitting it into the calendar) that will make it hard to repeat tournaments like this. The only way I can see it repeating is if CONMEBOL expand their tournament to 16 teams permanently, CONCACAF drop one edition of the Gold Cup and get the best teams from that into the expanded Copa America (as well as determining CONCACAF Champion). The expanded Copa would remain as CONMEBOL's Championship and under their jurisdiction.

23. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I posted somewhere how this could be permanently done also as a "Copa Panamericana" distinct from the Copa America and Gold Cup, something like this:

2018 - WC in Russia

NEW CYCLE BEGINS
    2019 - Copa America, Gold Cup
    2020 - Copa Panamericana - 10 Conmebol teams+ 6 Concacaf teams (could be six highest ranked by FIFA). There is no room for qualifiers however.
    2021 - Confederations Cup
    2022 - World Cup

24. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    My schedule would be something like this

2019 Gold Cup
    2020 Copa America (six best CONCACAF teams from Gold Cup make up numbers to 16, but tournament belongs to CONMEBOL)
    2021 Confederations Cup
    2022 World Cup.

This doesn't add an extra tournament to the international schedule. I think there are enough of those as it is.

25. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd flip the Gold Cup and Copa América - having the latter a year after the World Cup fits in perfectly with CONMEBOL team's calendars, allowing them to blood new talent and settle on teams for WCQ. Then again, with TV rights signed away for Gold Cups and Copa América tournaments a few years into the future, we may be looking at something similar to college football, in which scheduling innovations can only get implemented a decade from now.