2016 Carolina Challenge Cup???

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by cosmo fan, Jan 4, 2016.

1. cosmo fan

cosmo fan Member

Jul 28, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hearing rumors that the CCC is not happening this year. Anyone have anything concrete on this? Would be very bummed if its not happening.

2. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rumors are out there but let just say it isn't looking good last I heard. I would hope to hear something one way or the other this week

4. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boo. What am I supposed to be mad/jealous about not being able to attend this year? ;)

Maybe it will be back next year and DCU will be able to participate. I will have vacation time again by the time the 2017 dates roll around :) I had heard rumors, but was hoping they'd be able to put some kind of tournament together even if it was just USL teams and maybe even some from that corrupt NASL league for the fun of practicing rude chants :)

7. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a surprising number of comments on the normally quiet Battery FB page.....lots of suggestions on who they should have invited. Unfortunately, none of them would have generated nearly the tickets sales the club would like to see:

1. Mexican teams; did that twice in the past, not more than 1,500 tix sold each time.
    2. College teams; on a good night vs Furman, CoC has 1,000 people (maybe)
    3. NASL teams; we beat them all the time anyway :D seriously, no one in Charleston knows what NASL is
    4. USL teams; what's special about that? Other than Richmond and Rochester, most Charleston fans couldn't name 3 other USL teams in the league.

Bottom line, none of those options above would generate 1/3 of the tix sales the club wants. For better or for worse, our fan base wants to see MLS teams. While I'm sure there was a lot of disappointment in not making something happen, better to take a break than to put together a bush league event and sell few tickets that ends up being a media embarrassment and a money loser for the club.

Also, I think what is also not helping is having to do it in the middle of February when our weather is very unpredictable and like last year, you could end up with freezing rainy weather. Teams are in preseason and need good weather to ensure they get their training in. Florida and the Southwest offer a much better chance of good weather that time of year than we can.

Mikey mouse repped this.
  8. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we do have a good relationship with Railhawks, since their club president lives on Daniel island and plays on our Sunday team, that includes Auggie.