2016 AFC U-23 Championship

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by Txtriathlete, Jan 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    Host: Qatar

Group A: Qatar, Syria, Iran, China
    Group B: Saudi Arabia, Japan, North Korea, Thailand
    Group C: Iraq, South Korea, Uzbekistan, Yemen
    Group D: Jordan, Australia, UAE, Vietnam

Finals played between 12 - 30 January 2016

Top 3 qualifies for 2016 Summer Olympics

This is the cleaner, I wont derail the topic or else I understand I can get banned version.
    Watch yourself.
    Tex.

2. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Already nervous for the Qatar - Iraq game. :( Are there any suspensions / injuries?

Kurdii110 repped this.
  3. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Let's go Iraq!

glennaldo_sf and Kurdii110 repped this.
  4. almeyda82

almeyda82 Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #4 almeyda82, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    The final is going to be tough but I would predict Korea to win that game.
    As for the 3rd place match, I really hope Iraq wins it but playing against home grown players is one thing and playing against mercenaries is another thing!
    In the end congrats to all the qualified teams and I do hope they would make us proud in the Olympics!

Kurdii110 and Suren01 repped this.
  5. almeyda82

almeyda82 Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Club:
    AC Milan
    To Iraqi members here. What's your record against Qatari teams?!

6. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Congrats to all the winners and hardluck to the losing teams.

7. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Not so good. I recall we lost 1-0 in the 2006 Asian Games final and 2-0 and 1-0 losses in the 2010 WCQ.

I don't have a good feeling about this, but hopefully we will overcome Qatar.

Kurdii110 repped this.
  8. Football Asia

Football Asia Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Qatar can thank iran's coach ridiculous tactics against them for being in this position. Iraq is probably better than them but afc will do anything in their power to get Qatar to the olympics.

Suren01 repped this.
  9. Qatar

Qatar Member

Jan 24, 2016
    #9 Qatar, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2016
    Like the afc referee did in awarding Iran a dive penalty against them and not giving a clear penalty to Qatar? That certainly didn't help their cause.

Post edited by Tex.

HTCONEM8 repped this.
  10. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    I don't know bro. This Qatar team won the 2014 AFC U19 Championship, and they are still unbeaten in this tournament.

It will be one heck of an exciting match for sure..

11. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    What I really don't understand is whenever an Iranian team loses, it's always a conspiracy thing. Excuses after excuses. They would never admit that their team truly suck *****. What an arrogant bunch indeed (except for few).

TigersOfAsia and Yas-The-Gunner repped this.
  12. Football Asia

Football Asia Member

Oct 17, 2014
    What are you talking about? If you think that was a dive then your judgements are very suspect. I haven't seen anything that great from Qatar for them to be in an Olympic qualifying position. Also if you think afc doesn't want anything more than Qatar in the Olympics then you're just delusional.

13. Football Asia

Football Asia Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Who said there was a conspiracy? They lost because of the coaches tactics. You can call that excuses or you can also just watch the highlights or the game before talking out of your ass. Anyways it's over now so who cares. I was just saying that afc will obviously try to get Qatar in the Olympics since Iraq would give them no monetary compensation.

KiarashM, Navid1337 and Zandi360 repped this.
  14. TheShowStealer

Jan 15, 2011
    congratulation to korea the only team in the world to reach all the olympics tournament
    since it was changed to u23

TigersOfAsia, olimpialv and Suren01 repped this.
  15. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    The whole reason to change the Olympic qualification format to knock out stage was to give teams like UAE or Qatar an easier route to qualify.. That's obvious. The only reason Qatar hosted this tournament was to reach Rio. They did not even participate in the previous edition. Says enough..

16. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I will be cheering for Korea in their match versus Japan. I hate defensive football. Iraq you better smash Qataris or you lose credit.

Suren01 and olimpialv repped this.
  17. Qatar

Qatar Member

Jan 24, 2016
    Even Iranians called it out, the Iranian forward put his leg between the defender's still legs, but whatever.

If that was the case with afc, then they are doing an extremely poor job. Evidence points to the contrary: group of death for Qatar, bad refereeing decisions against Qatar and no hints of referee bias.

Is this where you say we should've paid them more?

18. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    How are they unbeaten in this tournament? o_O;)

19. edlee1992

edlee1992 Member+

Apr 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Japan vs Iraq extended H/Ls (Korean)

Korea vs Qatar

20. Zandi360

Zandi360 Member+

Dec 10, 2013
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    No one mentioned conspiracy, keep the hatred for yourself. Main reason for this failure was the coach's complete inexperience, if you think the team sucks remember the players names when your team is going to play against Iran's senior team in a few years, because you will notice how wrong you are ;)

21. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Sorry my bad. But you got my point :laugh: Until the Korea game they were unbeaten..

22. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Iraq was unbeaten until the 90th min vs Japan ;)

edit - as a neutral, I want to see Qatar's #10 in the Olympics but good luck to both teams.

23. aguy2die4

aguy2die4 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Seoul/London
    For me both Qatar and Iraq showed good performance in this AFC U23 tournament to deserve that 3rd ticket to the Olympics.

What I would like is for the team that is most likely to perform well and do Asia proud on the world stage that is the Olympics in Rio, to get that 3rd ticket.

This Friday one of these two teams will get that ticket hopefully fair and square, but there still are two big variables:
    1) Which team has the metal toughness to performs on the world stage
    2) Which team has got the better wildcard options that could upgrade their squad significantly

Who has got the better wildcards available to them?

Kurdii110 repped this.
  24. aguy2die4

aguy2die4 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Seoul/London
    Another question that preys on my mind is if this edition was still the home-and-away Olympic qualifiers rather than the new tournament qualifiers, could teams like Iran & Australia gotten that 3rd ticket instead?

Both Iran & Australia are strong at home. They both have the talent, and if the problem lies with poor management, player selection, formation or tactics the home and away format gives the them the opportunity to adjust & change them between matches.

In actual fact the home-and-away format will allow the teams to prepare better for the Olympics, which at the end of the day is the prize.

Valkyrie repped this.
  25. bebek9

bebek9 Member

Feb 15, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    It doesn't matter to Iran whether AFC use the current format or previous one. We haven't qualified for the finals since 1976. The current format might favor us considering we failed to advance to the final qualification round in 2008 and 2012.