2016 ACC Soccer thread

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Tom81, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    An ACC thread increases the breadth of interest I hope.
    Who do you have as the top 3 ACC teams in order?
    Who is the biggest surprise in the ACC this year?
    Who do you have in the CC this year?

2. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #2 Holmes12, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    Women's sports standings are so static due to lack of supply.

Top 3...the usuals.

Biggest surprise...do we pick from the usual second-tier pelletron or have to pick one from the usual third-tier pelletron (Miami does move in and out of each)? I guess every year it's Tech, Clemson or ND as the "surprises".

CC, I hate that only like 10 schools have any shot at final four and nobody from the continental interior. Kinda getting stale due to supply. UNC, Stanford (they get a lot of eastern players), Duke and insert (Florida or Florida State).

One thing I don't like about CC tournament bracket is that they pick at-larges based on proximity to automatics. Even lower conference automatics know before the selection that they'll play nearby. For example, I'm Ivy champion Harvard, I know it'll be BC. I'm San Jose State, I know it's Stanford, etc. Zzzzz. I'd love to see teams sent around in the first round. I realize it's fiscal responsibility and all but it's not only boring but skews the field and further reinforces my point about (lack of) teams from the interior. This keeps the limited supply in womens sports going to the same few schools (see Pat Summit and Geno). Not only do the coasts get the best soccer players and dominate, but they bring along regional at-larges with them.

3. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    These four program will fight for the top 3: UNC (if they can limit their ACLs this year), Virginia, Duke, Florida State.

Notre Dame has dropped quite a bit, expected that with the puzzling hire of Romagnolo. This once proud program can't even get out of the second round now. If they lose the Flores twins (US) and also Westendorf (Brazil) to the u20 World Cup it could be even worse this year. Small class incoming, especially without Westendorf. Big losses with graduating Naughton, Roccaro, and Gilbertson.

Virginia Tech could lose a step with Ashley Meier now gone. They still have Murielle Tiernan, but she loses her dual partner threat so other teams can focus a little more on her now. Very good goalkeeper coming in but other than that it's a lackluster class by ACC standards.

Clemson has been on the rise. I can see them being top 4 again. Should have Kailen Sheridan back after the Olympics.

I expect Boston College to be better this year. After 0 NCAA wins in two years, their solid recruiting class could get them back into relevancy.

Don't see much of a rise in Pitt, Syracuse, Miami, Louisville, Wake Forest, and NC State. Amazing to see how far Wake has fallen after Bledsoe and Stengel left and they have not had replacements since. ACC Tournament this year changes back to the 8-team format. Perhaps one of these teams could sneak into the top 8 but will be difficult. One thing that could help how many of the other programs get gutted by U20 World Cup call ups. If that happens, this is the year for one of these teams to make a rise.

4. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  5. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    FSU doesn't report a lot. I don't even know their current roster, and probably won't for another week or two.

6. luvthegame

luvthegame Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Could be a violation. Made a mistake on the count back. It has been known to happen.

7. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    With the draw that Notre Dame has, how long do you expect them to be subpar? Does it require a coaching change?

8. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    With Notre Dame I don't expect them to be bad, but I don't expect them to be great. And that program should consistently be great. Waldrum had them going to College Cups and wining national championships, and now I see the Sweet Sixteen as a stretch for them with Romagnolo in charge. Given their athletics and academics with conference affiliation, Notre Dame should be with the likes of programs such as Duke and Stanford and they are certainly not in that category. 2016 is class is small and doesn't address all the talent they lost last year (Westendorf is very good, though she probably won't even play this fall due to U20s). With losing Flores and Jacobs this year, I wouldn't be surprised if they lost 1-2 matches to a Pitt, Louisville, or Syracuse type of opponent this year. And I don't see how they will beat the bigger sides like FSU or Virginia. Their 2017 class isn't exceptional at all either, will be one of the lower 2017 classes in the ACC I would expect and they should be getting top 3-4 classes along with the top programs.

Miami - I thought today was the first day to be on the field training. Yesterday 8/2 was to be for meetings and such. They may have broken a rule.

Pitt - Any idea why Jarena Harmon left? Heard a rumor she wanted to be closer to home and she is at Maryland now, which is a good pickup for Ray Leone at that big rebuild project. That's a massive loss for them. She was their leading goalscorer, had 7 goals and that was 25% of their output. Helped free things up for Taylor Price as a dual threat. Wonder what the story was there.

9. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    FSU just listed their roster. Three new internationals. Deyna Castellanos. Venezuela. Yo Tachibana sp? Japan.
    Heidi, Kollanen Finland
    They all have youth national team experience. I'm excited.

10. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    ACC Predictions:

1) FSU
    1) Duke
    3) UNC
    4) Virginia
    5) Clemson
    6) Boston College
    7) Notre Dame
    8) Virginia Tech
    9) Louisville
    10) NCSU
    11) Wake Forest
    12) Miami
    13) Syracuse
    14) Pitt

FSU - Lose some keys stalwards, but return Crowley, Miller and POY front runner Megan Connelly. I would have put them in 2nd but Krikorian is like Geno Auriemma, he gets the best out of his teams every year and theyre always good. Defense will most likely be solid as always. Question will be, can they score with the rest of the top teams and who will be that main scoring threat?

Duke - Full disclosure, I'm a die hard Duke fan. I would have put them alone at the top but Duke tends to let down the year after a run to the college cup. With that said, they should be VERY good. They return every major player from last year, plus they gain a national highschool player of the year, Ella Stevens in midfield, who might not start if Mia Gyau proves even better. Defense will be solid with Gibbons, Quinn and Proctor anchoring. Racioppi turned down a USWT under 20 spot, and she should have a breakout year in midfield. The forwards (Payne, Dorsey and McCoy) have tons of speed and can be scary when on. Anything less then an elite eight, will be a disappointment.

UNC - They lose some big contributions from last year, but they are always good, and this year should be no different despite not having a main striker. Scarpa most likely will miss the season with under 20 duties. They will also miss incoming freshmen stud Otto, who also will also be with the under 20 uswnt. They should/could be loaded in the midfield, even if all of the players that were lost to acl injuries aren't healed in time. Julia Ashley should be the star of the back line.

4) Virginia - It's hard to replace the school's all time leasing scorer, in Mackenzie Doniak, and that's UVA's challenge. Similar to FSU's issues, but with a stronger recruiting class, one of two freshmen should be able to step in right away and make up for the lost offense. Morse, Gorzak and Ziemer should figure prominently on offense. The defense is solid with the always reliable Stearns in goal, and McNabb, Iordanu, Cox and Reid anchoring the backline. (they'll miss super soph Peterson, who will be with the under 20 team as well). The best offensive threat should be midfielder Alexis Shaffer. Should be a threat to get to the college cup.

5) Clemson - A program on the rise in the last few years, had an impressive top 4 finish last year. This is a junior/senior laden team and they should be just as impressive this year. The backline will be anchored by Canadian national teamer Kailen Sheridan in goal, and Claire Wagner at center back. Abbi Jones will be solid in midfield, and Catrina Atanda should lead the offense.

6) Boston College - This team should surprise many, and could finish higher. A veteran team that brings in some high quality freshmen talent. Meehan and Dowd should have another all acc year up front together, and should be joined by super freshmen Jenna Bike. Another freshman, Samantha Hiatt should step right into the defense. Bryant should be solid in her 2nd year in goal. The midfield also returns quality veterans. Should be a rising team.

7) Notre Dame - At full strength, they would be a notch higher for sure. But they are most likely going to be without the services of several top players. Nathalie Jacobs and Sabrina Flores with the under 20 US team, and possibly Monica Flores with the Mexican under 20 team, and stud freshmen Jennifer Westendorf with the Brazilian under 20 team. That's a lot of star power to lose. Seniors like midfielder Sandra Yu, and goalie Kaela Little will need to step up and lead this team.

8) Virginia Tech - Looking at their roster, they probably should be a slot or two higher. They have some good firepower upfront returning, with the like of Tiernan, Cephers, Johnson and Gray. However, they lost some key players to graduation last year (eg. Meier), and their incoming class will not replace what was lost. Of the freshman, I only see Jaylyn Thompson, D, seeing major minutes. The main issue will be the defense. Their starting goalie, Kaylyn Smith, transferred to Univ of Washington, and no goalie on the roster can fill her shoes. I still see them making the ncaa tournament.

I figured I would stop with the top 8, as I see those teams making the ncaa tourney, and well ahead of the rest of the ACC.

11. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Preseason ACC Women's Soccer Coaches Poll
    1. Florida State (191 points, 9 first place votes)
    2. Virginia (178 points, 3 first place votes)
    3. Duke (158 points, 2 first place votes)
    4. North Carolina (155 points)
    5. Clemson (140 points)
    6. Notre Dame (128 points)
    7. Virginia Tech (122 points)
    8. Boston College (96 points)
    9. Wake Forest (74 points)
    10. Louisville (63 points)
    11. Pitt (59 points)
    12. Syracuse (50 points)
    13. NC State (29 points)
    14. Miami (27 points)

I think NC State and Miami will remain at the bottom, but Wake will be there too. No way they will finish 9th. I'm curious to see if someone in that bottom group can sneak into the top 8 and a possible NCAA berth with the rosters of the top programs being affected by the U20 World Cup. UNC (Scarpa and Otto) and Notre Dame (Flores, Westendorf, and Jacobs) in particular are going to be hit hard, plus Boyles also redshirting for one of the many ACLs that UNC had. Boston College can make a good jump with their class coming in. MPR2477, had no idea Racioppi turned down the U20 invite. Interesting decision, works out great for Duke.

12. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I think that the pre-season ACC poll has it pretty much right. I'd switch Duke to #2 and Virginia to #3 otherwise it looks pretty solid.

However, there may be some surprises in the bottom 6. I look to Louisville to possibly break the top 8 and like last year I think that Miami may not end up at the bottom.

13. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    #3 Duke played Mizzou tonight in an exhibition match. Starting lineup for Duke was:
    Gk: Proctor
    D: Gibbons, Raben, DeBree (in place of Quinn who with the Canadian Olympic team)
    M: Racioppi, Miller, McDonald and Gyau
    F: Dorsey, Payne, McCoy

Duke came out on fire and for the first 20 mins looked like a top ranked team. The passing was crisp, and the forwards had their way with Mizzou's midfield and back line. It was 3-0 after 20 mins, but it could have easily been 6-0. The final score was 6-0 and every player saw the field. Duke's depth will definitely help them this year. Dorsey was phenomenal, with 2 goals and an assist. Payne had the first goal of the game, and her dribbling ability enables her to get by any defender. McCoy, Raben and freshman Magliarditi. The defense was solid, but wasn't really tested, until they started to sub players in and out. Missouri's attack is also not a strength. DeBree played well at center back after tearing her acl last year. The back line has good depth this year, with her back. It was a great start to the season. If Duke doesn't let their foot off the gas at times, like they did for about 30 mins today, they could have a very good season and challenge for a national title again.

14. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
  15. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I sure hope so. FSU's schedule is not showing the ACC Network games yet.
    2 more days until FSU takes on Tex A&M at T A&M.

16. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    I would count on it, as this stuff just recently was posted for some of the team's schedules over the past 2 days.
    It could be that some of the schools (athletic departments) don't update their women's soccer schedules as fast as some of the others do.

Louisville's team is also showing a ton of matches on ACC Network this year:
    http://www.gocards.com/schedule.aspx?path=wsoc

Oh wow, UNC just updated their site one minute ago.
    I clicked "refresh" and their schedule just popped up in "real-time", literally.
    I guess I have those sorts of powers ...........

UNC:
    http://www.goheels.com/SportSelect.dbml?SITE=UNC&DB_OEM_ID=3350&SPID=12982&SPSID=667901

17. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
  18. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    That game is showing on the WatchESPN site as being broadcast by SEC Network+ (online).
    As long as you have access to WatchESPN, then you'll be able to stream that match "live" on any of your devices, and/or watch on replay later on, as WatchESPN always archives their events for about 30 days.

And honestly, the SEC Network (TV station, not only just online) should have picked up that game to televise.
    Two Top 10 teams going at it, and there's no other SEC live events going on around that time, as we're still a couple weeks away from football season starting up.

The picture quality is still better when it's televised than just streamed online.

19. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
  20. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    97 ACC soccer matches is very good indeed. Not to be too nitpicky, but how do they not have FSU versus Virginia as a TV game?

21. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    First result: NC State 6 La Salle 1. Wake Forest and San Diego are scoreless at halftime.

22. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Wake comes from a goal down to beat San Diego 2-1.

23. Michael Gibson

Dec 23, 2014
    Notre Dame beat Wright State 3-0. Freshman Jennifer Westendorf had two goals; Taylor Klawunder added another.

Ginny McGowan played great in the back, and new starter Natalie Ward added a lot of speed on the flank.

dmthomas49 repped this.
  24. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    FSU beats T A&M 1-0.
    We looked young and sloppy, but with potential.

Deyna Castellanos and Heidi Kollanen have a chance to
    be special IMO.

25. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Duke throttled Wofford 9-1!! They looked really good. And NINE different players scored for us! School record for goals. Great start to a highly anticipated season