2016 Academy News

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Balerion, Feb 8, 2016.

1. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He oversees the academy, brokers (failed) partnerships, negotiates (terrible) trades and contracts and helps new players get settled. He's basically HR for the team. What else he does, I don't know.

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good read (at least for me) of what happens when you're being cautious about not signing a player in your Academy program, and the kid blows up.

VTSoccerFan and NFLPatriot repped this.
  3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Dallas seem to be doing a lot of the right things, even if they lose a few. Sucks that they get no compensation for him, but whaddayagonnado?

What was interesting to me is that they are seriously looking at setting up a reserve team, so the young up-and-comers can develop. Revs, are you listening? (Wha? Who? Uh, yah, we'll start thinking about measuring sometime when we get around to it)

There seem to be a number of different methods being employed around the league. You can buy from outside the league, you can develop your own, and ideally, a mix of both. I like the Dallas model, so it won't kill you if the one big signing that you convinced the Chairman to make doesn't pan out.

4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #79 NFLPatriot, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    Since I have railed against the Revs for their failures with Rochester, it is only fair to point out when they do something positive.

Although I could find only one, buried, reference to it on the Revs website, it turns out their 4th GK, Matt Turner, has been going on short loans to the Richmond Kickers since April 30th.

He's played in 7 games, posted 4 shut outs, and has a 0.43 GAA and a 5-1-1 record.

Ironically, this includes a 1-0 win at Rochester August 3rd, with Turner making six saves.

Insurance for when the Revs lose Cropper and/or Knighton in the expansion draft.

5. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He's a senior now and has 8g/2a in 10 games so far this year.

Maybe he'll be one of those "free second round pick" type senior HG signings.

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not 2016 related, but Academy related.

7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of Academy players on the UMass Lowell roster. The #14 team in the country currently (and #1 in New England), just went out to BC and came back from 2-0 down in the 73rd and won 3-2 in OT. Good stuff. :)

A Casual Fan repped this.