2016 Academy News

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Balerion, Feb 8, 2016.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, probably an obscure reference for anyone under 50. Hadji was a character from an animated series from the 60's.

a517dogg repped this.
  3. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Aaaahh! Memories! That was my favorite show! Of course I could only watch when the power lines weren't knocked over by herds of brontosaurus.

Revs in 2010 repped this.
  4. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good article about the status of our Academy. And for once, I agree with the Revs on this ... "Patience is key."

Only thing I will say that I disagree with, or am disheartened by, are their choices in the partnerships, or how they're using them.

6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So New York was too far away to have a "meaningful partnership," but Ra-cha-cha is "fulfilling the purpose?"

7. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Empire United is also based in Rochester. "New York based" must have meant NY State.

8. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course it is fulfilling the purpose.

The purpose is to cheaply satisfy the league requirement that all teams operate or affiliate with a USL team. Boom!

Matt Turner has actually been getting games on loan with the Richmond Kickers (which is understandable, you want to find a team that has a weakness at GK and that doesn't appear to be Rochester). There's gotta be some team in the USL that could use Jordan McCrary, though. It's wasteful that he's not getting games.

9. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, McCrary is a strange one. A first round draft pick who can't get minutes with a USL side, let alone the MLS club that drafted him, which has plenty of defensive issues. Ouch.

10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    He hasn't been sent to Rochester, has he? Or did I miss that?

11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    It was an interesting article, but it did make me wonder if they are being too conservative?

At this point, it looks like they are 3/3 in academy products becoming useful MLS players (maybe I'm getting ahead of myself on Herivaux, but he has me convinced). Maybe if they gave more kids the MLS opportunity they'd be 4/6 or 5/8 - and isn't it worth a couple of misses for more hits?

12. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, that's the point. Either the Revs are afraid to send him, or the Rhinos don't want him. He went on a one-game loan in April, played 70 minutes, and hasn't been back since (nor has any other Rev since April).

13. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who would the misses be, though? If a player is good enough, he'll still garner interest in the draft (if NE passes on an HG deal) or in the USL or something.

The only player who comes to mind is Mitch Taintor, who has been a regular starter for Toronto II in the USL this season. No idea if he has the potential to progress beyond that level, though.

I think the number of Revs academy alumni who have gone to third-rate NCAA programs tells the story. I don't think the Revs have been missing the boat w/r/t academy contracts. The talent hasn't been there. There may be some in college or in the academy right now who can buck the trend. We'll see.

15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I always think it's a mistake thinking we know all the options, particularly when it comes to a black box operation like the Revs.

I can think of two other reasons that I think are the most likely explanations:

- they want him available as an option for MLS/USOC game-day rosters.
    - they feel, at this point, that training with the Revs is more valuable to his development than the game time he would be getting in Rochester.
    Not sure, I don't follow it that closely. I think maybe one guy I was wondering about was one of the (the older?) Machado brothers?

16. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most loans have flexible recall options, so if he's on loan and there's a red card or injury crisis, it shouldn't be hard to get him back. If Rochester doesn't have room for him, there's plenty of other places in this country to loan him. Players need games and I think the Revs have been negligent with McCrary.

Although they both played for the Revs and went to Providence, I don't think they are brothers. Fabio is from Leominster and Dominik is from Attleboro. In any case, you're probably right that Fabio was one of our top NCAA performers to not get a look in the pros. When the Revs didn't offer a HG contract, he was invited to the MLS Combine and his name was thrown around as a possible low-round pick. He ended up on trial with Rochester, but I don't think he ever signed anywhere. He's probably one of those many guys who was good in the NCAA and didn't quite have enough for the next step.

I'd guess that Dominik will be another edge case unless he takes another step forward his senior year.

17. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    McCrary, and Neumann, and Okoli...

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  18. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okoli has really benefited from regular playing time this season, btw. He has 11 goals in 22 games for FC Cincinnati and is tied for third on the USL scoring chart.

19. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a good example of a guy who can be a stud in the USL under the right conditions but just can't make the leap to MLS - at least not here. You see it all the time in other sports, guys that tear up minor league baseball or hockey but for whatever reason can't replicate it in the majors or NHL.

20. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's certainly possible that that's the case. But we'll never know if he could have kicked his career trajectory up a notch if he hadn't wasted the first two years of his career languishing in Seattle and then in NE. If Seattle had had a USL team at the time, he could have had ~60 career USL appearances going into 2016 and maybe could have developed a bit more.

Crooked repped this.
  21. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An academy side note:

Orlando City B gave a debut to Isaque Couto on Wednesday. He is a '98 who switched from the Revs academy to Orlando's academy this year and played with their U18s. He's just an academy kid getting a call up and not a pro signing, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

22. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great point about development. Heaps lacks the ability or experience to develop young players. Okoli, Donnie Smith, Neumann, even McCrary and Mullins, etc. Guys like Farrell and Rowe are top 5 picks and have been successful but were closer to the finished product because of their natural talent. That said, I think both still could vastly improve with a better coaching and development staff.

BERich repped this.
  23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's the Revs Daniel Jones listed.

24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 Rev Academy players heading to UMass Lowell this season.

25. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that is their logic, then the fact the EVERY OTHER MLS TEAM is developing talent at the USL level, would suggest that their logic is fatally flawed...