2016-2017 Swiss RSL [r]

Discussion in 'Austria & Switzerland' started by RobtheAggie, Jun 23, 2016.

1. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went back and looked again at the article, you are correct, I mistranslated it. I am sorry.

KensingtonSC repped this.
  2. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lead candidates for Vaduz include FCZ U18 manager and former Swiss International Ludovic Magnin. Vaduz has stated clearly that the manager needs to be willing to go down with the club if they are relegated. They also need a good understanding of Swiss youth soccer and the developmental aspect of a club.

3. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    That's part of the problem, though. They don't want to train Swiss youth players to become better. They want those roles going to young Lichtensteiners. They are having a hard time striking a balance between being competitive and developing Lichtenstein players. There was a match this year where no Lichtenstein-eligible players were in the 18 for a Vaduz match and people were very upset about that. Funny thing is that they could have brought in Sandro Wieser on a free, but they never even made a play for him, and now he's rotting somewhere in Reading. That would've been not only a great pickup, but it would've brought a local boy back home.

4. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little update on Basel. Both Janko and Doumbia are out of contract this summer. There is much speculation that they will let both go and move forward with Cédric Itten, a 20 year old already on their books but loaned to
    Luzern for the spring and that they will make a move for Nsamé. The main criticism against Janko and Doumbia are that they failed to produce when they were most needed, during CL play. That is a lot of pressure on two players that are not even regulars in the RSL yet.

5. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    11 March
    GCZ - Vaduz
    FCSG - Luzern

12 March
    LS - YB
    Thun - Lugano
    Sion - Basel

Very interesting matches this weekend. I think the early match on Saturday is the most intriguing one. If Vaduz were to win, that would put a much more crowded bottom of the table.

If FCSG wants to make a run at the 4th spot, this one needs to be a win for them.

6. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    11 March
    GCZ - Vaduz 1-2 Tami fired after this match for GCZ. Bad news for LS and GCZ.
    FCSG - Luzern 1-1

12 March
    LS - YB 0-0 LS hit the post in the 89', but was denied a goal.
    Thun - Lugano 5-2 Fassnacht with 2 goals and Rapp with two PK's to lead the team to victory. Lugano with two very late goals.
    Sion - Basel 0-1 Lang with a very nice goal for the win.

Basel 63
    YB 46
    Sion 38
    Luzern 36
    FCSG 30
    Lugano 28
    Thun 26
    GCZ 23
    Vaduz 22
    LS 20

7. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leading Goalscorers:
    16 - Guillaume Hoarau YB
    12 - Seydou Doumbia Basel
    12 - Chadrac Akolo Sion
    11 - Marco Schneuwly Luzern
    10 - Marc Janko Basel
    10- Ezgjan Alioski Lugano
    9 - Caio GCZ
    9 - Matias Delgado Basel
    9 - Dejan Sorgic Thun
    9 - Christian Fassnacht Thun

Most assists:
    15 - Yoric Ravet YB
    10 - Matteo Tosetti Thun
    9 - Mohamed Elyounoussi Basel
    9 - Renato Steffen Basel
    8 - Christian Schneuwly Luzern
    8 - Carlitos Sion

Attendance
    Basel (12) 26,272
    YB (12) 17,818
    FCSG (12) 11,924
    Luzern (12) 10,784
    Sion (12) 9,092
    Thun (12) 5,189
    GCZ (13) 4,700
    LS (12) 4,689
    Vaduz (12) 4,006
    Lugano (11) 3,611

8. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vaduz has earned 4 points in the last two matches. Daniel Hasler does not have the correct licenses to remain the head coach. It looks like Patrick Rahmen has emerged as the leading candidate. Rahmen has been the assistant coach at Luzern this year and previous was at Biel and in the youth set-up at Basel.

9. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Konrad Fünfstück, formerly manager of Kaiserslautern, was at the GCZ match on Saturday. It's rumored that he's interested in Vaduz, and they're interested in him, but he doesn't have the proper license to manage in Switzerland. It was also rumored that he could be working to get his Professional License while Hasler is managing in the interim.

10. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Vaduz is being turned down by everyone right now. Three people who were offered the manager position have said no. Patrick Rahmen doesn't want to leave Luzern, and Ludovic Magnin (FCZ U18) and Raphael Wicky (Basel U21) both want to concentrate on their current roles. Hasler is only allowed to manage Vaduz through this Sunday. After that, they must find a licensed manager. Right now, it's not looking good that everyone keeps turning them down.

11. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And now it is not just Vaduz and GCZ who are looking for a manager. FC Thun's Jeff Saibene who people expected to leave in the summer has left to join Arminia Bielefeld. Marc Schneider, the assistant manager who was suspected to take over this summer will assume the reigns of the club now. Now Bielefeld is in last place in the 2nd Bundesliga 4 points from safety.

12. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Saibene was in the same boat as Contini. He was a lame duck who was not going to be renewed, but he stuck around Thun long enough to get another job. Contini kinda cut off his nose to spite his face by resigning. Arminia are probably going down. I don't think Saibene is good enough to save them.

13. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Also, I think there are very few jobs in Swiss football that people are clamoring for and it's actually hurting the league's reputation. Many guys want to stay in the current positions they have, or will try to hold out for a job elsewhere. Seems like no one wants to work in the Swiss leagues.

RobtheAggie repped this.
  14. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thoughts as well. I do not think that Saibene is going to make a difference.

15. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One has to wonder why an established club coach would want to go to Switzerland. With Basel winning the league every season, it would be very difficult.

16. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    18 March
    Luzern - Sion
    Basel - GCZ

19 March
    Lugano - YB
    Thun - FCSG
    Vaduz - LS

I think the most intersting match will be the Vaduz-LS. Vaduz can further distance themselves from the bottom with a win. One would assume that GCZ will loose as well, that would put GCZ and LS in the last two spots. How will Thun play with Sabine gone? Luzern-Sion will be a very good one for the Europa League spots.

17. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    18 March
    Luzern - Sion 0-0
    Basel - GCZ 1-0

19 March
    Lugano - YB 0-2
    Thun - FCSG 2-2
    Vaduz - LS 0-1

YB consolidates their 2nd place with the win and the Sion draw. With the LS win, the bottom win are all within 3 points. Vaduz is -25, GCZ -14 and LS -7 so advantage LS.

Basel 66
    YB 49
    Sion 39
    Luzern 37
    FCSG 31
    Lugano 28
    Thun 27
    LS 23
    GCZ 23
    Vaduz 22

18. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leading Goalscorers:
    17 - Guillaume Hoarau YB
    12 - Seydou Doumbia Basel
    12 - Chadrac Akolo Sion
    11 - Marco Schneuwly Luzern
    10 - Marc Janko Basel
    10- Ezgjan Alioski Lugano

Most assists:
    15 - Yoric Ravet YB
    10 - Matteo Tosetti Thun
    10 - Renato Steffen Basel
    9 - Mohamed Elyounoussi Basel
    8 - Christian Schneuwly Luzern
    8 - Carlitos Sion

Attendance
    Basel (13) 26,253
    YB (12) 17,818
    FCSG (12) 11,924
    Luzern (13) 10,769
    Sion (12) 9,092
    Thun (13) 5,254
    GCZ (13) 4,700
    LS (12) 4,689
    Vaduz (13) 3,977
    Lugano (11) 3,653

19. Arrows

Arrows Member

Vitoria SC/Belenenses/Aarau
    Portugal
    Oct 29, 2013
    Canada
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Funny DSC Arminia Bielefeld is my German club... I was able to enlighten my German friends on Saibene and Swiss football a bit. There is mixed reactions on his appointment but when you are in the relegation zone you can't be too picky you just need someone to motivate them and get them above the line.

20. Arrows

Arrows Member

Portugal
    Oct 29, 2013
    Canada
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I personally don't feel Saibene will make a difference. They will stay up... 2-0 victory of Friday over Kaiserslautern without Saibene and they have been playing better the last few weeks even without the results.

21. Arrows

Arrows Member

Portugal
    Oct 29, 2013
    Canada
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Correct me if I am wrong but GCZ has never been relegated out of the top flight? Are they the only Swiss club to have done so? It looks like that is going to end this year.

22. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    GCZ is in a LOT of trouble financially. They're apparently losing money hand over fist. This isn't the same situation that FCZ were in last year where they were just bad. GCZ is both bad and broke. It's believed that if they go down this year, they might not be back up for a couple of years, and if they do manage to stay up, they will be playing a bunch of kids on a small roster next year which would put them at jeopardy for relegation again.

23. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    That Vaduz result was absolutely heartbreaking. Vaduz goalkeeper Siegrist has been apologizing profusely for bundling the ball. I feel absolutely awful for the kid because his performances lately have been stellar, especially against Basel, and against GCZ when he stopped that penalty. The whole team performed so admirably, but nothing went their way. That red card should not have been given against Brunner, and Vaduz just simply cannot play with 10 men. They never have been able to do that. They almost did yesterday, but still came up just short.

24. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Next 4 rounds in the relegation battle.

Young Boys v Vaduz
    Lausanne v GCZ

Thun v Lausanne
    GCZ v St. Gallen
    Vaduz v Luzern

Vaduz v Sion
    Lausanne v Basel
    Young Boys v GCZ

GCZ v Luzern
    Basel v Vaduz
    Sion v Lausanne

Looking at this schedule, obviously Vaduz have the toughest schedule, but LS can actually get clear of the pack with good results against GCZ and Thun. GCZ needs to win against LS in two weeks otherwise they could be in a bit of trouble.

25. Arrows

Arrows Member

Portugal
    Oct 29, 2013
    Canada
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Just looked at my post... what I meant to stay regardless of whether or not Bielefeld got Saibene I feel that they would stay up.