2016-2017 Offseason Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Totoro, Nov 27, 2016.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair on the sub thing, apparently the second team scrimmaged Houston this morning. So I'm guessing there weren't many players left without 90 minutes played today after the game.

2. Independiente

Independiente Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 15, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After having watched the three DDC games on youtube, I can say our team looks pretty much the same as last year when Jones wasn't in the game. Defensively sound, kind of boring to watch, hard team to beat, but not much in the way of goals. I hope Gashi and Serna can get healthy, they at least bring more creative attacking play. Powers as the attacking center mid just doesn't work for me. He's decent, just not dynamic. Doyle up top not good enough either. He's good in the air and has the occasional strike, but again, a bit slow and not dynamic enough. Badji up top would at least stretch the defense more. Azira and Cronin look fine. Defense is well organized and gets wide quickly once in possession of ball. I thought Miller looks improved. Macmath is good. As for second team players, Calvert looks improved. Back up defense is solid. Nana looks to have some potential. He was physical and did seem to want to get forward more with the ball. Guest player Cascio was a differnce maker when he was in, but wouldn't expect him to get picked up. I liked the two homegrowns, Ford and Perez. I thought both fit in well and could have a future. Heck, I'd almost rather see Perez in the "10" spot over Powers (not likely to happen of course). Well, in summary, not much has changed at all tactically. We will be a defensive team that doesn't concede many goals, but doesn't score many either. Not attractive, attacking soccer, but will frustrate the opponent and pick up some wins here and there.

kucsdat, m vann, UxSxAxfooty and 2 others repped this.
  3. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    So I take it Tony Cascio will be signed? With only 23 players, and 3 of them keepers and one of them the still-injured Serna, they need to sign some of the guys in camp just so they can scrimmage in practice.

4. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watched portions of the game, mostly the second half. They were extremely unimpressive.

Even with our success last year, I still have no idea what goes through the staff's heads in terms of roster composition. We clearly have needed a key offensive signing for a while now, and it's been an obvious need to basically everyone with a brain. So why has there been such minimal effort to address this problem?

22SteveD, COMtnGuy, kucsdat and 2 others repped this.
  5. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good information. I didn't realize they had done this. Powers is cringeworthy as the playmaker. I'd be ok with yesterday's starting lineup if they switched powers with gashi.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this differs from almost every offseason (last year excepted) how? This is the MO of the Rapids FO for years. Minimal offseason work until late int eh game,, an early season scramble to figure out what we can do, and then a mid-season trade/purchase to plug the hole.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  7. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately the RFO seems to keep the same intern year after year...

[​IMG]

22SteveD, COMtnGuy, Quinn 33 and 2 others repped this.
  8. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repp'd for the Blackadder reference!

9. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say it was different...but at least in the bad years you could argue there were so many problems that it was hard to know where to start, and which issues to address first. Now though, the offense in the final third is the only real clear issue, while everything else ranges somewhere between serviceable to great.

jayd8888, 22SteveD, COMtnGuy and 2 others repped this.
  10. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    We're all a little disappointed but I'm not sure name calling helps. ;>)

SccrDon and JasonMa repped this.
  11. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still not sure I am good with CB depth, but at least the #3 CB may not be out for season with injury like before.

12. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody pick up their STH packet at one of these pick up events? I am wondering how low to set my expectations when I go get mine. Anything good in them?

13. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2006
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Theres a thumb drive that doesnt work.

fortcollins, unkiemark and zapem_10 repped this.
  14. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Glad I'm not the only one :). Actually, I'm still frustrated by having to pick up the packet rather than having it mailed. It just happened that we were out and about on Saturday and thus were passing relatively close to the Dick's up north. I plan on e-mailing the power(s) that be with my thoughts about this.

15. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    As for this season, there seems to be no reason - at this point - to believe the Rapids will accrue any more poinst than last season. In fact, it seems that they could regress during the regular season in that respect. I just don't see the 5% to 10% improvement that Pablo seems to think will happen in the scoring department. To do so it seem would take some new players in the attacking areas.

My gut reaction to the last few preseason matches it that Badji and perhaps Calvert are as likely to score goals as Doyle at this point. Who can consistently provide service of the quality variety? Watching the second half on Saturday the Rapids didn't have much problem advancing the ball into the final third, but after that there wasn't any creativity, just a lot of hit the ball and hope it finds someone in a scoring position. I didn't inspire confidence in their ability to finish.

How many times last season did the Rapids win 1-0? Can they match that performance again without changes to personnel and or tactics? So I think they will make the playoffs, but not finish in the top three in the West.

Of course should they go out and get an Aron Jóhannsson perhaps they will become slightly better at scoring than last season.

Dom. FC repped this.
  16. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per PM then 39 Goals in 34 Games in 2016 will hopefully come to 2-4 additional goals in 2017 but does that really added Wins given our second half performance when teams figured out how to play us and lady luck wasn't helping?

22SteveD repped this.
  17. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
  18. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 new roster slots (going from 28 to 30) but they have to be for HG's.

So if the Rapids sign all 3 remaining draftees, Cascio, and Mizell they'll be at 28, including 4 goalkeepers (and 3 HG's). But, you know, having something close to a full roster isn't important for Opening Day apparently.

Also they've allowed TAM to be used to sign a HG to his first contract, and a few other odds and ends.

kucsdat, 22SteveD and COMtnGuy repped this.
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boniface tweeted Casico didn't travel north with the team and Callaham has left camp. That leaves us with 26 players in camp, 4 of whom are keepers.

21. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bummer, I was pulling for Casico

unkiemark, zapem_10 and Rod1916 repped this.
  22. Waterboy66

Waterboy66 Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I was pulling for Cascio also, and that's why I say with absolutely no smile on my face, he's probably better off with Arizona.

23. AvaiBunton

AvaiBunton Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might have totally missed it this year, but did we not do a "predictions" thread?
    Maybe no one cares enough or wanted to jinx the team after the surprise of 2016, in a darn good way!!

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I plan to have mine up tomorrow.

25. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Mix is still owned by MLS but no longer with NYCFC. Still think he would improve our squad (benching Powers)