2016-17 UEFA Champions League Round of 16: SL Benfica vs. Borussia Dortmund

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by BVBFNM, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Chelicerata

Chelicerata Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    You keep mentioning Sane. What has Sane done so far at City? Had few goals and assists while being unproductive in most games. Is that what you call an amazing attack? Especially when you factor in the striker and less creative midfield supporting them at Schalke, then you wouldn't talk about amazing attack. The fact that Nabtaleb, the new signing has been Schalke's best creative midfielder this season gives it out easily.

Anyway, our midfield needs sorted out. At this point, I wouldn't mind if Merino is tried in the role or even used in the defence because our build up play from the defence is quite pathetic.

2. DortmundXXX

DortmundXXX Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    God dammit I hate these kind of games. Aubameyang wtf man

3. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    I don't really give a damn about City players at the moment.

4. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sane has been great for City these last few matches.

5. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This isn't just all down to TT. How can it just be ONLY his fault? When you have sub standard players like Castro, Durm, Piszczek, Schmelzer, Schürrle not to mention guys like Rode riding pine this goes all the way up to Zorc. Firing him in the middle of the season is going to exacerbate the problem. It'll damage both the club and his career. I'd say let him save the season. Do what he may in the cup competitions but we need to finish top 3 at all cost.

In the summer we need to get rid of the aforementioned along with Park, PEA and Bartra.

We spent 45M on Schurrle and Rode....45M!!! We could have had our pick of Kovacic, Dahoud, Tielemans, Strootman, Herrera. We could have had virtually any central creator instead we got ourselves a pair of duds.

6. Chelicerata

Chelicerata Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    But why mention him in the first place?

7. bumbleBeeVB

bumbleBeeVB Member+

Aug 6, 2014
    NYC
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im not sure a game like this is a reason to sack him... in my opinion he (despite a weird formation we may not have liked), put everyone in a position to succeed. he cant score the chances we waste for them

8. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Just because players look disappointed or don't like a sub, doesn't mean that the coach has lost the team. No reason to lose our heads after a disappointing result. They used their chance when they looked good for 5 minutes. They had nothing else in the second half. The result isn't a fair reflection of the game. It happens. We had so many chances away from home in the CL ko stages. Auba should have used his 3 chances 10 meters away from the goal and there would have been no reason to complain.

9. Chelicerata

Chelicerata Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    But not always productive. His decision making is still suspect.

He has improved but that's due to City overall improvement with the return of David Silva back to the central midfield after being severally deployed on the wing to accommodate Gundogan/Yaya.

That's why the midfield is the most important in any team except if you have those individual beast to win games regardless, players such as Messi, Neymar, Suarez in attack. Even these players showed today they are human after all.

That was why I argued with eaglespark about Verrati importance to Di Maria play.

10. Tore Claesson

Tore Claesson Member

Oct 26, 2015
    Club:
    Molde FK
    Even if we had won, our sub par players would have been sub par. Get rid of them... Durm... LP..... etc. I've had enough. Who is even the core of this team now? If there is any.. Keep our u23 players. Rebuild the rest. Reus can leave if he wants to. Should have happened last summer. Good night.

11. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    He bought those guys. He forced the boards hand on Schurrle for 30 million Euros. The board did not want to do it.
    Tuchel forced the board to sign Castro, Rode and Schurrle. This is ALL DOWN TO HIM.

Why do you insist on blaming the board for Tuchel's signings?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/rift-borussia-dortmund-leaves-premier-8982188

Tuchel's signings many against the boards wishes were Bartra, Rode and Schurrle.

The board's signings especially Mislintat brought in Dembele, Mor, Raphael and Gotze.

Auba does not need to go in the summer. Rather he needs a manager not intent on just showing how smart he is and playing his favourites.

12. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Like hell he put players in a position to succeed. He put them in a position to fail and fail they did. The chances were due to the incredible quality of player he has. There was no actual flow of play. Benfica quickly worked out that all they had to do was defend narrow, because Durm and Schmelzer can't attack. The defenders can't pass the ball forwards and Raphael is not a midfielder.

There was so much wrong with the lineup and tactics, but if the better players looked like they believed in him then it would be fine.

Sacking Tuchel is the only chance of keeping the better players in the team.

13. Dave46

Dave46 Member+

Nov 30, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Armenia
    If we exit early from CL and do badly in BL, Reus and Auba will try to move on. Even Puli would like to move to Liverpool.

14. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

15. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [/QUOTE]
    He's pretty bad at math. He's already lost two.

16. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Thomas Tuchel: “Shit happens. We were so, so good. We conceded from the only shot of the second half. It felt like we weren’t really there after intermission, we switched off for three minutes and gave the ball away. But I can’t blame anyone. Only in football can you dominate a match completely and still come away with a loss. This is a very difficult result for us. I am disappointed but at the same time immensely proud about our performance.”

17. PureEvil

PureEvil Member+

Jul 30, 2014
    California
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    I don't think Reus will imo, maybe Auba tho.

18. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Aaaaaannd there you have it. Proof that Tuchel only cares about playing pretty.

19. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not talking about playing pretty, but rather about maximizing the likelihood of winning. Given the quality of chances on both sides, Dortmund should have won a tough away leg handily. Aside from the decisive set piece the much-maligned defense held up well, and the attack produced those gilt-edged chances for Auba. Sokratis was perhaps not exaggerating (even conservative) when he said that you would expect a team to win 95% of matches that transpire like the one today.

Tuchel's man-management will be tested by how he handles Aubameyang after tonight. His errant finishing cost the team the game, but BVB still needs him to step up in the 2nd leg and the rest of the season.

20. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There's also something to be said about the complete lack of strategy when attacking a set piece and their solitary goal. I can't remember the last time we scored a goal from a corner. In fact it's extremely low for a possession oriented team.

And not a single player was covering their striker when they scored off of their set piece!! How does Sokratis get to say we would win these kinds of games most of the time when he wasn't covering his man?!?

21. Liquid1010

Liquid1010 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Can someone, anyone, explain why Durm is playing in the midfield/wing role?

While I don't always like TT's player selection..... that one has me completely baffled. He provides nothing that Passlack or Pulisic can't do better.

podrinje and Dave46 repped this.
  22. Arlo

Arlo Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    cuz its tuchel, if its not castro then its durm. its like he likes ppl to question his player selections

23. BVB1989

BVB1989 Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Bled, Slovenia
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    How can you blame coach for a match like this? Did Tuchel wasted 2 clear cut chances in front of the goal and missed a penalty? Come on be reasonable guys.

All they have to do is to score a goal and concede none in the next match. At least that. Shit happens yeah.

We are still in cup, CL and we have a good chance to finish in top 4.

If PEA leaves us so what then? He isn't half of the player like Lewandowski was at BVB.

Our team is full of young kids and I was expecting this will be a tough season.

chewz and hava repped this.
  24. Arlo

Arlo Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    i blame the coach for lack of tactical consistency, i mean ffs its almost been 2 years now, he keeps changing for formations playing useless players, other ones out of position. the amount of money he spent on mediocre players is ridiculous.

bvbSlash and eaglespark repped this.
  25. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Auba at the moment is better than Lewandowski ever was for Dortmund. He is still the most clinical striker in ALL of the European top leagues. He had a very bad game yesterday it happens. Even Messi missed a penalty and chances when they lost to Chelsea. Robben had an awful game in the CL final.

What infuriates me is how after one poor performance the fans are so quick to turn on players that have been world class and stuck with Dortmund: Hummels (before he left), Reus and now Auba. These guys could get significant pay rises, have a great chance to win trophies, but they have stayed (not Hummels) and given great performances more times than not.

Yesterday was a complete failure from the manager. The team created chances, because they had quality players, some of the best in the world. However, all the chances came from moments of individual brilliance or luck.

1st chance.
    Dembele wins the ball back and plays a brilliant pass.
    2nd chance.
    Reus repeatedly wins the ball back and then plays an excellent ball, I think to Raphael, who squares it, luck leaves it in the path of Dembele.
    3rd chance.
    Bartra hits a terrible pass that could easily be intercepted and result in a dangerous counter, instead it deflects twice and lands at Auba's feet.
    4th chance the pen.
    Bartra kicks the ball onto a defenders hand.

None of those chances came from any cohesion or Tuchel's terrible tactics. We played right into their hands.

This was not a match like say France vs Portugal, where the manager got things right and it was one of those days. This was the manager getting everything wrong, but since he had a significantly better team, they still should have won. Auba scoring a couple of chances would only paper over the cracks.