2016-17 League Championship

Discussion in 'League Championship' started by pookspur, Aug 6, 2016.

1. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    underway this weekend.

proper entertainment on show at Forest today. Burton Albion have made a fist of it, though it appears now that they'll get nothing from it.

edit: no sooner posted than Albion draw another back. 4-3 going into four minutes of stoppage time.

IvanIV repped this.
  2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    ... and very nearly get an equalizer at the death.

cracking match, that.

I love the 2nd division, me. I do.

IvanIV repped this.
  3. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

IvanIV repped this.
  4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Newcastle United and Norwich City look like contenders to go up, but Aston Villa is in 16th with only 1 win from 8 games. They're 3 points behind the middle two clubs (12th and 13th) and 3 points above the relegation zone.

5. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Our chairman has finally sacked Alan Stubbs so hopefully we can recover lost ground now, although a lot of damage has been done by a terrible appointment.

I'd honestly get Evans back he'd be the best man to take us back up if we get relegated, which is more than likely bar some Warnock'esque miracle turnaround in form.

Carlosamigos repped this.
  6. Carlosamigos

Carlosamigos Member

May 21, 2016
    Belfast
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Do you think Evans would be a popular decision? He didn't do too bad a job with us either, so you are probably right. Especially when there are so many managers that are similar and won't do much better.

7. Myshoe

Myshoe Member+

May 25, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes he would have been afterall he took us up two divisions and kept us in the Championship, we still don't really know why he left us but in my opinion it was probably that he fancied a stab at the Leeds job (personal ambition/bigger club etc) and our chairman didn't want to stand his way after everything he had done.

The funny thing is after Warnock miraculously kept us up at the back end of last season our chairman made a point that he was looking for someone with Championship experience, then he goes and appoints Alan Stubbs. Stubbs has stubbonly tried to get us playing good football but other teams just have technically better players, I don't know if we were unfit either but we've thrown away so many points late on in games.

We've appointed Kenny Jackett today which I'm more than happy with, I just fear this season has already passed us by and we won't be able to dig ourselves out this time.

8. Carlosamigos

Carlosamigos Member

May 21, 2016
    Belfast
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I do like Kenny Jackett. And hopefully he will be able to do something to keep yous up. It is difficult but there is a lot of the season left to go. Always good to keep a strong Yorkshire base as high up the leagues as possible!

9. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blackburn on the edge of being sent down? How low have they sunk after years in the EPL?

10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are other examples. Bolton was relegated out of the EPL in 2011-2012, which was the same time as Blackburn, and Bolton is now second in League One after being relegated twice. Blackpool spent one season in the EPL and are now seventh in League Two and hoping to make the playoffs. Portsmouth was relegated out of the EPL in 2009-2010 and is now in the third and final automatic promotion spot in League Two. Wigan Athletic was relegated out of the EPL in 2012-2013. In 2013-2014 they lost in the promotion playoff semifinals. In 2014-2015 they were relegated. In 2015-2016 they won League One, but they're now 23rd in League Championship and in the relegation zone by 5 points with 3 games left, so it looks like this will be their fifth consecutive season with a promotion, promotion playoff, or relegation.

Myshoe repped this.
  11. SwedishBorn

SwedishBorn Red Card

Manchester United
    Sep 20, 2017
    Rovers win PL 1996 rightly ?