2016/17 Emerging Portuguese Players

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by The Special One, Jul 19, 2016.

1. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    The years seem to be flying by and while most prospects we bet out first born child on havnt panned out lol there have been some absolute gems and it seems as though that won't be ending anytime soon.

The B teams have done the job I personally though they would and I also think another factor we havnt focussed on is, the fact that the Portuguese economy continues to struggle and these hard times give motivation for kids from poorer families to make it as pros, I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this point.

I'm excited to see players like Dalot, Gomes, break through in the b teams, players like D.Goncalves, A.Silva make first team spots their own and established players the R&N Semedo's, Madeiros, Neves Rony Lopes take their games to the level where they are certainties for the AA squad and maybe even a revival of some talented favourites like Bruma and Oliveira reviving their careers.

So much to look forward, so much passion biased views to come. We wouldn't have it any other way

artielange84 repped this.
  2. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    The years seem to be flying by and while most prospects we bet out first born child on havnt panned out lol there have been some absolute gems and it seems as though that won't be ending anytime soon.

The B teams have done the job I personally though they would and I also think another factor we havnt focussed on is, the fact that the Portuguese economy continues to struggle and these hard times give motivation for kids from poorer families to make it as pros, I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this point.

I'm excited to see players like Dalot, Gomes, break through in the b teams, players like D.Goncalves, A.Silva make first team spots their own and established players the R&N Semedo's, Madeiros, Neves Rony Lopes take their games to the level where they are certainties for the AA squad and maybe even a revival of some talented favourites like Bruma and Oliveira reviving their careers.

So much to look forward, so much passion biased views to come. We wouldn't have it any other way

3. Michael F

Michael F Member

Jun 22, 2016
    United States, NJ
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

It is great to think about our future. Our youth squads are so dominant that there is almost no way we still won't be a top 10 nation (not to jinx it). I believe we are producing many quality players now from a huge mixer of things. 1) Ronaldo - I believe that every kid growing up in Portugal wants to be like him if they enjoy futebol. 2) You're right most people in Portugal are making 450 euros a month which is not a life of luxury and they want to be these rich and famous guys and in Portugal (instead of countries like the United States where you can become a famous actor or singer) you can really only become a famous futebol player. 3) Also, African nations, I hate to say it.. but we are becoming more like France we have less and less actual Portuguese people and more and more Africans who come here (to Portugal) to try and live better lives. I mean I personally don't care as long as it translates to more wins and they play with heart.

4. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    I edited the spreadsheet of last season that went inactive since end of last year. I hope I'm able to keep it updated at least on a monthly basis.

I changed the concept to most notable players of U-25. I erased a bunch of players on a decline (and with no reputation in the country), added a very small crop of the U-17 european champions, a few from the current U-19 team and kept some doubtful players depending on what they do in the Olympics.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yGdZZBB9s7iWD7ci6XFfhDUZKRbmlMuTGqNGSPWvhNs/edit?usp=sharing

NewLaw83, Michael F and BatatasFritas repped this.
  5. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Juventus have added to their Portuguese contingent in the academy. Italian born Luso Pedro Justiniano one of Portugals best CB prospects will be joined in the academy by Joao Serrao - CB from Porto, Ricardo Campos - striker from Benfica and Afonso Freitas - fullback from Vitoria, all three are 16 from the very talented 2000 generation

6. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This is nothing new, Portugal NT always had a contingent of African descent players since the 1950s, 60s , etc

7. nickslb14

nickslb14 Member

Oct 23, 2014
    NJ
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Thoughts on Andre Gomes moving to Barca?

8. theFOOTBALLlover

FC Porto, SC Freamunde & Fraser Park FC
    Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    Portugal is a unique country. A lot of our past colonies still support us and if they have a choice to represent their country or Portugal, they pick us. I was in Timor Leste for two weeks last year and despite many that I met not speaking Portuguese, they were fans of Portugal and Ronaldo. I have no issue with our nation being 'multicultural'. The national team shows our history and a present.

9. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Fantastic move, only a handful of Portuguese players have played for Barcelona I believe. He'll only get better there

10. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Figo , simão , deco, Quaresma , baia , couto off the top of my head

It's actually been more
    Than most other top clubs- probably the most in fact

11. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Yeah they were all the ones I was thinking then I'm sure there's only a couple more

12. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Real Madrid have had Figo , Ronaldo , Pepe and secretario (lol)

Inter have had Figo , Paulo Sousa

Juve - Paulo Sousa , Rui barris

Man utd - Ronaldo , Nani

Ac Milan I only think Rui Costa passed through there and futre briefly

Barcelona is actually the big club that's had more Portuguese players I belive

AlexJones19 repped this.
  13. joaommx

joaommx Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    True man, look at the backbone of the Magriços from 1966, Vicente Lucas and Hilário in the defense, Coluna commanding the troops from the midfield and Eusébio upfront scoring left and right.

14. joaommx

joaommx Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Real had more.
    Cristiano Ronaldo, Fábio Coentrão, Luís Figo, Pedro Mendes, Pepe, Ricardo Carvalho and Carlos Secretário. Edgar Pacheco also signed for them but never played any game, and they have had two Portuguese managers, José Mourinho and the Queirós & Peseiro duo (LOL).

---Z--- repped this.
  15. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Andre Gomes doesn't look like he has the same crazy head Quaresma has, if he plays smart he can be a success there.

16. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007
    #16 Dan82, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Any predictions for young breakout players in our league this season?
    Last year we saw guys like Renato Sanches, Joao Mario and Diogo Jota break out and become stars.

I'll throw out a few names I'm keeping an eye out for.

Daniel Podence (Sporting)
    Gelson Martins (Sporting) Already kinda broke out last season, but I expect he will take his game to the next level.
    Andre Silva (Porto) Porto's top scorer in the Pre-season. Expect him to get his first call up to the National Team this season.
    Andre Horta (Benfica) Has looked great in the Pre-season and with Sanches gone, he should get lots of playing time.
    Gil Dias (Rio Ave) On loan from Monaco.
    Rafa Soares (Rio Ave) On loan from Porto.

Rui Pedro (Porto B) The 18 year old has scored in practically every game for Porto's B team in the pre-season. I think he can have a huge year if he stays healthy.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  17. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Just watching some of the Lille friendly today, and I have to say M.Lopes has so much talent. He is only 20, but If he doesn't make a name for himself and move to a bigger club I will be very surprised. City sold him to Monaco, than he couldn't win a starting spot, than loaned to Lille. Obviously something I just don't see that prevents him from taking the next step, but whenever I see him he looks to be oozing with talent.

18. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    16 year old Doningos Quina who is an attacking midfielder for west ham and was part of the vitorious u17 squad formerly of Chelsea and Benfica had been starting pre season games for The hammers and came off the bench for them in Europa league qualifiers. Quite impressive and great to see a young player under the guidance of a good coach in Slaven Bilic

JoseEmidio and Michael F repped this.
  19. joaommx

joaommx Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ronaldo Tavares has been doing the same for Sporting B.

Dan82 repped this.
  20. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Bilic likes to give youth players time to grow, good to see and hope he keeps getting chances or gets a loan move perhaps

21. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Bruma has been galas best player in pre season. Hopefully it can continue into the season proper

22. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007
  23. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    6 goals, in pre season form. He's doing some damage. I notice he's more quicker on the ball, kid has talent.

24. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Damn skill on display. Whoa! Hopefully he proves the doubters wrong. Always been a fan, he's still young.

25. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    (Atletico Madrid)

GK - André Moreira loaned to Belenenses

(Benfica)

CM - João Teixeira loaned to Wolverhampton
    WG - Hélder Costa loaned to Wolverhampton

(FC Porto)

ACM/WG - Pité loaned to Tondela

HIGHLIGHTS:

- Domingos Quina had his first senior match experience in a competitive game at the age of 16 for West Ham.

- Along with Quina, Rony Lopes, Bernardo Silva, Ivan Cavaleiro, Gil Dias and Diogo Figueiras started their first competitive match for their respective clubs this season.

- Bruno Fernandes is strongly rumoured to be on his way from Udinese to Sampdoria.

List:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yGdZZBB9s7iWD7ci6XFfhDUZKRbmlMuTGqNGSPWvhNs/edit?usp=sharing

nbstriker8 repped this.