2016-17 Development Academy

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Sep 5, 2016.

1. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yes, which is why I think that the biggest factor in the increasing amount of talent that we're seeing is that the soccer boom kids of the 70's - who also became the first generation of American pros - now have teenage children. Can anyone really argue that the biggest factors for Christian Pulisic were not Mark and Kelley Pulisic? The larger the number of soccer families the more prospects.

xbhaskarx and Winoman repped this.
  2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To read about them talking about Christian I think he was the biggest single factor. No doubt they helped in technique and enthusiasm but they literally had to make him not play at times because that's all he wanted to do. very hard to be as good as someone so single minded who puts in the work. Point granted that without correct technique he may have practiced all the wrong things and not been near the player he is.

3. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    I think rather than teaching him technique, by having a soccer-first household, it developed a culture around him that gave him passion for the game.

4. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  5. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Development Academy 3.0. More teams like Union Academy mad Residency obsolete.

6. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Great watch

SUDano repped this.
  7. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    U15 Cayman Cup:

DC and Houston had a much better showing than a year ago when both got played off the field by Man City. Both teams played Man City again this year but lost again. Houston fell 3-2 and DC 1-0. IMG finished in 4th place.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  8. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
  9. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I've been thinking about the Canadian quandary for a bit now. It's actually very unique. You produce a fair number of bright lights but lack depth. Particularly in defense and midfield. One thing that the US has always had, for all that we hate their methods, is a ridiculously large college system that keeps young men in the competitive cycle up until their early 20s. There's probably other reasons but I suspect that is the main one.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It just comes down to the size of the talent pool. First off...............folks forget that the population of Canada is only 36 million. That's not a small number, but its also not a nation like Japan (126 million). Its much smaller than Mexico or the US. Population-wise its smaller than California alone. Then consider the sporting landscape and soccer's place in it in Canada. How many total youth soccer players are there compared to the US, Mexico, or even Central American nations? Consider the lack of resources available to the CSA in comparison to the USSF and FMF. And then lastly consider the small number of professional opportunities for youngsters in Canada when compared to the other CONCACAF members.

Frankly, I think we're often unfair to Canada by expecting them to rise up as a third "power" in the region. They're trying to build things, but its gonna be a slow process. And, of course, a major part of the problem is that the US, Mexico, Central America, etc. are actually developing at a more rapid pace than they are. Its not a stationary target. Canada is improving.................but so are Costa Rica, Panama, Honduras, etc.

And yes..............TFC, Montreal, and Vancouver are good academies. But the US matches them with NYRB, FCD, and LAG. And then adds all of the other MLS and DA teams on top of that.

luftmensch repped this.
  11. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I think the real damage is the lack of a way to keep kids 18 through 23 training. They have 7 professional teams and two leagues in Ontario and Quebec. How many of those spots are for Canadians? So maybe 100 spots of which 50 or so are for young talent. They pretty much have to identify all their main talent at 18. Imagine how bad our talent pool would be if we had that cutoff date? In comparison, Costa Rica has 90 clubs and hundreds of spots for young talent.

CANPRO repped this.
  12. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Canadian players are generally going to end up in college in the States or in Canada.

13. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He seems to think the problem is a lack of physical play and players do not play enough games. I doubt that is the issue in Canada and I know it is not the issue in the states. Growing up in suburban Long Island there was a lot of dangerous tackles, a lot of trash talk, a lot of fights, etc. And hs players would play a HS season with a lot of games in a short period of time and then play a ton of travel over the "offseason".

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The whole point of the USSF Development Academy was that in America we wanted our elite kids playing fewer games. However, we wanted the games they did play to be at as high of a level as possible.

In other words we sought to eliminate all of the endless and meaningless youth tournaments kids used to play.

luftmensch repped this.
  15. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Exactly to better mimic the type of season's European academies have.

16. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Pl@ymaker, TxEx and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  17. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. Starman*

Starman* Member

United States
    Mar 28, 2017
  19. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    The Manchester City Cup is a tournament in the San Diego area (Oceanside and Del Mar). The '02 teams are apparently in the U15 group.

http://mancitycup.com/

http://events.gotsport.com/events/Default.aspx?eventid=58516

http://events.gotsport.com/events/schedule.aspx?EventID=58516&GroupID=616180&Gender=Boys&Age=15

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  20. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out @LAGalaxyAcademy's Tweet:

ielag repped this.
  21. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Vancouver Whitecaps played Barcelona at the u14 level today...

22. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Did that without Alvarez as well

Peretz48 repped this.
  23. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I find myself losing some interest in Alvarez. I still follow the LAG DA, and I certainly wish all the players well. However, I am more than anything a fan of developing USYNT players, and that's my biggest emotional connection. I still think Alvarez is a nice prospect, but unless Mexico no longer calls him up I don't foresee Alvarez (or Llanez, for that matter) returning to the U.S. fold. As soon as I saw Rossi declare for Italy I only watched him from afar, no different than admiring Mbappe, for example. I love watching him but I'm not all that invested in his progress.

24. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  25. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    The 2017-2018 schedules were released.

RSL is staying in the Southwest Division (they're moving the academy to Utah), but Grande Sports Academy will take over that Arizona spot in the DA.

Albion out of San Diego is a full member in the Southwest Division.

Jacksonville Armada have an academy now and are a full member.

A 3rd Atlanta area club, United Futbol Academy, is a full member. They're an Atlanta United affiliate.

I'm guessing the two Scott Gallagher clubs merged under the St. Louis FC banner.

Virginia Development Academy is a full member in the Atlantic Division.