2016-17 Development Academy

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was interesting talking to a parent who has a kid who played for a MLS DA team. The kid left to play for a club team and his high school team. He didn't like feeling like he was "owned" by the MLS team.

Another parent I talked with who has a young player who is on track to be a part of the DA for a different prominent MLS team has basically said his kid can't learn anything from Americans. His kid is trying to latch onto an academy team in Europe.

Point of this is different views and approaches to trying to become pro soccer players.

luftmensch and headerdunce repped this.
  2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember all the posturing of parents from when my son played. Most thought their child was the best player and would go on to be a college or pro star. A few may have a handle on how good their child is and what path they should take (take a bow Pulisic family) but most are very blinded by there love of their kid or delusions of them fulfilling what their parents "could" have done.

Tom Collingsworth, xbhaskarx and deejay repped this.
  3. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I'm assuming he has a European passport option and can leave at 16 and not 18. Would seem if he's good enough to latch onto a top European academy the 'Americans' taught him something valuable. Or would he get all the credit because he did it all alone by himself. Because he's just that inherently that good.

xbhaskarx and luftmensch repped this.
  4. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He does have European passport option. Not sure top academy fits the places he has been.

5. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Even smaller clubs can be good teaching grounds. I just hope he doesn't think because he's in Europe all is well.
    The goal is to find a developmental environment that allows access to first team minutes as the ultimate goal.
    US system can provide that just as well as European environments depending upon a number of factors most importantly his skill level.

6. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    This is not a winning attitude. This kid could start holding himself to a higher standard in training and push his teammates to as well or do work outside to figure out areas of improvement. Waiting for someone else to do it isn't how players max out their potential.

7. headerdunce

headerdunce Member

Dec 19, 2005
    And that boy's attitude is all too prevalent among allegedly "top" U.S. youth players. Ask most college coaches about the differences between U.S. and foreign recruits, and they'll tell you two things: one, most foreign players have more tactical guile and mental toughness; and two, most foreign players are more humble and appreciative of their situation.

Our better youth players would be better served playing against older players as soon as possible to learn toughness and humility while improving. Like I said before, the U18 Galaxy team should be playing college and PDL and NPSL teams regularly.

The supposed golden ratio for becoming a better athlete (in team sports) is around 2 wins to 1 loss. Teams that are playing in leagues where they win 90% of their games are being held back. Sometimes there is no obvious solution, but in the case of the U18 Galaxy, there are plenty of older local teams to compete against. Some losing and well earned humility is a good thing in the long run.

8. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess that parent doesn't realize how many expats coach DA teams....

9. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Galaxy U-17/18 team is currently in third place in their region with 15 wins, 9 losses, and 5 ties, so not sure what you think makes them so special.

ShadowMoses2 and headerdunce repped this.
  10. BraveUpNorth

BraveUpNorth Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Still working the way through all the clubs. They were on site this week with one club. I would assume it is up to the respective clubs whether the release what double pass had to say about their club. If Soccer house puts out anything when it is all finished, it will be a sort of average of average type thing that may lack substance. It is the findings at the individual clubs that will be value added, and I doubt we hear many of them.

11. headerdunce

headerdunce Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Damn, the facts wrecked my well thought out point. A 15-9-5 record shows they are playing at the right level.

Proceed with your regularly scheduled programming.

xbhaskarx, Anderson11, CaptainD and 2 others repped this.
  12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Not necessarily. I have no idea whether you were correct before (wrong level), or correct now (right level), but the team's record alone is not determinative.

13. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    FWIW aren't there a ton of LA Galaxy academy players playing with the USL team? so essentially some of the best players may be lost for DA game and play regularly against a level higher than PDL or NPSL. That may be the point though; a majority of academy players (like if were talking about a pool of MLS academy players, not just LA Galaxy academy players) don't have the option to play in the USL.

14. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Not that many really. Last saturday was the first game where they started a significant number of players currently in the academy.

15. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    This trend will continue. Kleiban brought in his guys from Chivas USA starting with the '99s, but only a few came over. He brought much bigger groups with the 00s and 01s, and it's particularly the 00s who are starting to physically mature where they can hang with USL adult players. Next season we'll start to see some of the '01s playing with Los Dos, along with the '00s.. It won't be every game, of course, but they'll pick the right situations for game minutes.

16. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    In my estimation, any where from 50% to 70% of player development is from their family. Attitude is one of the major factors where family influence just completely overrides a coach's input. That's the reason why so many of the top players had ex-pros in their family. Some families just waste a kid's potential with this privilege crap.

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  18. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Tactical Hipster and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what LA said. Not working out well for them so far. I think you need to refine it to a good coach who will play the DA products. I believe the owners will start looking for those guys to protect their investments in the DA. Martinez in Atlanta was a good hire for that reason - very good coach and will play and teach the young players.

20. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out @caribbeanftbl's Tweet:
    859163902176899072 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  21. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Yes a mindset does come from the family but up to 70%? Family generally means father. And yes the love of the game, competitiveness, and the drive to improve has those routes. But father's have to work, have other kids, other priorities, don't play games with the child, generally doesn't coach the kids. So the game is often spend thousands of hours away from fathers for practices and games. Individual Player Development is often a very complex recipe with many dozens of ingredients. All are important in small doses or it just doesn't quite taste right.

22. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Per Schalke's Menze: “You cannot make a talent,” Menze said. “That is the work of the parents. Sometimes I hear (from academy coaches), ‘I have made him.’ No. I say, coach, you have given him some lessons and perhaps an organizational frame to keep him in and to guide him to the point where he ended. But you did not make him. "

Also Tom Byer: "Parents are more important than Coaches at the very young ages, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 years old. This is where Latin countries kill everyone because kids get a tremendous head start in learning Ball skills." Tom has gone on to really espouse providing parents of very young kids with enough knowledge to help toddlers learn ball skills.

I'll go further than Tom in saying that a parent with the knowledge to help kids get the directed practice they need is an advantage that few kids have in the US and it's very telling. A coach will tell a kid to go practice at home but a parent will tell the kid what to practice and will give him the individual one on one time to perfect a technique that coaches just can't.

There's a reason why many of the most talented players come from families with playing backgrounds. It's not just genetics, it's individualized, timely instruction.

23. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should make future parents undergo toddler training skills classes before they conceive. If they don't they are just being selfish parents.

24. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Parental guidance is important, no doubt. However, it's only as effective as far as the parent's knowledge and commitment will take it. If, for example, all the parent does is kick the ball back and forth with the kid what skills has the child learned? In very established soccer cultures not only are fathers with high level playing backgrounds able to impart the important skills, but even the average Joe knows a lot of the moves and skills that a child can build on.