2016-17 Development Academy

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Sep 5, 2016.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #2 Clint Eastwood, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    Let's start the season off right..........................with some blubbering praise for FC Dallas regarding blowouts in meaningless games.

772495162165432322 is not a valid tweet id

Oh, something else from Daniel's twitter feed. [For those that don't know Daniel, he's now a broadcaster for FCD games, and also works in digital media for the club. A good twitter-follow for all things FCD.] I heard thru the grapevine from another source that this kid is really good. Us old-timers remember his father, the T&T international, in MLS. I believe his son was born in the US while his father was playing here, so he is presumably eligible for both the US and T&T.
    772495458455347201 is not a valid tweet id

TCS35 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Some reading materials for the upcoming season.......................

Academy Players to Watch for 2016/2017
    Article Written by J.R. Eskilson
    http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/academy-players-to-watch-for-2016-2017_aid39840

You can read the article for details about each guy, but here are the kids he lists.

Paxton Pomykal (12/17/1999), FC Dallas U18
    Taylor Booth (5/31/2001), Real Salt Lake AZ U16
    Efrain Alvarez (6/19/2002), LA Galaxy U16
    Kellan Landefeld (1/23/2001), Crew SC Academy Wolves U16
    Julian Gaines (11/5/2002), Lonestar SC U16
    Alex Bobocea (10/14/2002), New York Red Bulls U16
    Josh Burnett (5/28/1999), Players Development Academy U18

By the way, I also have heard a lot of praise in my circles for Julian Gaines. He's the younger brother of McKinze Gaines, and has a been a prolific goal-scorer at the U14 level. I believe he's received callups to the U14 and U15 national teams. As a 2002, he'd be a prime candidate for the next U17 cycle. Right? In terms of graduation year, he's a 2020 :)!!!!

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Also worth mentioning that the USSF DA site is up with the rosters for the new season.
    http://www.ussoccerda.com/2016-u-15-16-17-18-club-map

It looks like the site has been made a little bit more user-friendly for us nutjobs.
    As we know, these rosters change a bit over the year, but its fun to scroll thru them anyway.
    I don't know what it means if players aren't listed............maybe nothing. Scrolling thru FCD's rosters there are players I know are there that aren't listed.

5. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a breakdown of DA additions/subtractions/mergers this season?

I see that NJCSA is now referred to as Cedar Stars-Monmouth. In terms of nomenclature at least, it seems that Cedar Stars Academy has completely subsumed NJSA 04's former spot after the merger.

Albertson SC is gone with no replacement in the Northeast Division.

In the Southeast, SC Battery United is gone (no replacement) and obviously Georgia United is now Atlanta United.

Harder to tell with the younger ages. These 56 clubs are the "bonus" teams in the new U12 division in addition to full DA members.

Peter Bonetti repped this.
  6. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Sorry to see Albertson gone. I guess the Cosmos are filling the void on Long Island. However, the population is large enough to accommodate another U12 DA club, particularly in Suffolk County.

I don't know what USSF's long term plans are for extending the U12 footprint, but given what they've started with I'm guessing that they want to see clusters throughout the country, extending outward from population cores. The Colorado division is a good example, where the travel is reduced from what they're experiencing in the U16/U18 age groups. I'd like to see an Arizona division. There are so many other areas that can put together 6-8 clubs in the U12 age group. We shall see...

7. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Surprised to hear about Albertson dropping out.

8. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    The only annual speculation I can add to this thread is that the Vancouver Whitecaps will be good at the u18 and u16 levels again this year.

9. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    It will be interesting to see how Atlanta United fares this year.

Georgia United has been a upper middle of the pack SE team, but it seems that the cache of playing in an MLS Academy will help them draw more top kids from the surrounding programs.

The AJC published the rosters and former clubs and only about 1/4-1/3 actually played with Georgia United last year. A few were from Concorde Fire the other USSDA program in Atlanta. Lots from the other soccer programs around the city.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/pro-sports/meet-atlanta-uniteds-first-academy-players/nrZY9/

I have not followed USDDA soccer at all really in the past, so perhaps this type of roster churn is typical.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I was checking rosters, these are the players playing at the U-18 level that you'd otherwise think should be playing at a lower level, so maybe they are very good players.

Luke Hanson ('01)-Colorado Rush U-18. Defender. U-16 NT player.
    Jesus Ferreira ('00)-FC Dallas U-18. '00 isn't that impressive for U-18 level, but best academy in the US, so harder to play up a year.
    Diego Mendoza ('01)-Chicago Fire U-18. Not listed on the roster, but played 90 in the first game.
    Josef Paulus ('01)-Internationals U-18. Played 6 minutes in the first match. Seems to be at a lesser academy, so they might be moving some younger players up.
    Kristopher Shakes ('01)-Philadelphia Union U-18. Played 90 in the first match. He's a keeper. A Union blog lists him as having been called up to the US U-17's this cycle, but I'm not sure thats the case.
    Robert Lopes ('02)-Cedar Stars Academy U-18. This might just be an error when the rosters were listed. He wasn't in the squad for the first game, instead played for the U-14's.
    Carlos Anguiano-('00) LA Galaxy U-18. Same type of reason Ferreira was listed. Playing for a very good academy. Played 90 minutes the first match.
    Jonathan Estrada-('00) LA Galaxy U-18. Same type of reason Ferreira and Anguiano were listed. 34 minutes off the bench and he tallied.

11. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Looks like Baltimore Armour was able to do some good recruiting of coaches and players and may be a force to be reckoned with this year.

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I also decided to check the U-16 rosters for players who are playing at a level higher than their age would indicate they should be at.

Sebastian Anderson ('02)-Real Colorado U-16. Midfielder/Defender. He's been called up to the US U-15 NT before.
    Ben Smith ('02)-Real Colorado U-16. Midfielder. He's been called up to the US U-15 NT before.
    Julian Gaines ('02)-Lonestar SC U-16. Midfielder. He's mentioned above. Brother of McKinze Gaines. Played for U-15 NT before.
    Cade Hagan ('02) Chicago Fire U-16. Midfielder. Played for the US U-15's before. Played with LAG last season. Played 52 minutes the first match of the season.
    Takumi Ikeda ('02) Chicago Fire U-16. Midfielder. Played for the US U-15's before. Played 90 the first match of the season.
    Alex Bobocea ('02) New York Red Bulls U-16. Goalkeeper. Played for the US U-15's before.
    Conner Maurer ('02) New York Red Bulls U-16. Defender. Played for the US U-15's before. Played 43 minutes the first match of the season.
    Gio Reyna ('02) New York City FC U-16. Forward. Played for the US U-15's before. From what I've read, he's rated as one of the better 02's in the country.
    Joseph Scally ('02) New York City FC U-16. Defender. Played 90 the first match of the season.
    Mateo Neighbors ('02) New York City FC U-16. Defender. Played 90 the first match of the season.
    Harrison Robledo ('02) New York City FC U-16. Midfielder. Played 90 the first match of the season. Nationality is listed as Colombian, so might not be eligible for the USA.
    James Lowell ('02) Seacost SC U-16. Goalie. Played 41 minutes the first match of the season.
    Riley Ferch ('02) Orlando City U-16.
    George Bello ('02). Atlanta United U-16. Defender. Played for the US U-15's before.
    Franck Bwelle ('02) Atlanta United U-16. Forward
    Brandon Ciagette ('02) Atlanta United U-16. Forward
    Daniel Mangarov ('02) Atlanta United U-16. Midfielder. Played for the US U-15's before.
    Gianluca Buso ('02) North Carolina Fusion U-16. Midfielder. Played for the US U-15's before.
    Gilbert Fuentes ('02) San Jose Earthquakes U-16. Midfielder. Played for the US U-15's before.
    Efrain Alvarez ('02) Los Angeles Galaxy U-16. Midfielder. Played for the US U-15's before. Got a goal and played 90 in the first match of the season. Might be the best '02 in the country.

JG repped this.
  13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Inbox:

SAINT PAUL, Minn. (Thursday, September 8, 2016) -- Minnesota United FC (MNUFC) today announced that Tim Carter will join the club to lead its soccer development academy system.

After over a decade of heading up the Shattuck-St. Mary’s soccer program, Carter will be the Director of Minnesota United’s Academy. He has over 30 years of youth development and coaching experience ranging from the youth club level, to NCAA, to MLS.​

14. BraveUpNorth

BraveUpNorth Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    While not officially announce by MNUFC until now, this has been known for a while (MNUFC has a tendency to not comment on well established facts, which is cool I guess).
    I started a couple of discussions on this on the MNUFC reddit page if anyone is curious: https://www.reddit.com/r/minnesotaunited/comments/4fjimz/minnesota_united_fc_academy_system/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/minnesotau...ew_official_partnership_mnufc_academy_update/
    Also, on the front page of the USSDA site, there is a picture of Tim Carter speaking with some U-12 players. The picture is for an article announcing the Academy Director course graduates. Tim is in the list and is stated as affiliated with Minnesota United:
    http://www.ussoccerda.com/da-directors-course-1516

15. BraveUpNorth

BraveUpNorth Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
  16. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
  17. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crew SC Academy is trying to basically turn into the Valencia of the US. They have hired there 3rd coach from Valencia.

Sergio Lozano - He will be coaching the U13 team. He has his UEFA Pro License. Always coached at the youth level. Most recently with the u13 and u15 age groups for Valencia.

tippco333, TxEx and ielag repped this.
  18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #19 Clint Eastwood, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    Oh Solar................................remember when you were good at soccer?
    As far as the U18 game goes that was a hat-trick from Devin Vega, one for Jesus Ferreira, and one for midfielder Alberto Vargas. USYNTer Shaft Brewer did come into the game as a substitute, so I guess he is indeed at FCD now. Paxton Pomykol didn't play.

19. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    U12 B-Team coach might be on the chopping block after that result.

At what point is the competition in USSDA to low to be worth playing against?

Perhaps there are elite Tournaments where Dallas, Vancouver, Red Bulls, Galaxy, etc get together and play games outside the playoffs? You have teams with +50 GD and -100 GD.

Don't know much about USSDA.

20. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Gary Kleiban (the vocal brother of Galaxy youth coach Brian Kleiban) has argued this. Don't know how much you can do about this. Things are pretty spread out and the MLS teams are uneven in how much they are spending on development.

21. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gary Kleiban supports this change? It must be a terrible idea, then.

22. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    :)

The crazy thing was that he was saying that this was why we needed promotion and relegation :ROFLMAO:

But a better level of competition would certainly help, although probably less of a problem in LA.

23. Way2late

Way2late New Member

Sep 13, 2016
    I was at the U18 game and a college coach stated, it wasn't long ago that Solar and Texans were the dominant teams. The Vargas kid is a former Solar player. Game was 1-0 through 70, then the flood gates opened. From that point, FCD scored 72, 73, 74 and 90 according to the score sheet.

A new trend seems to be several kids taking a gap year to play DA. I think two of FCD starters graduated in 2016. It makes sense to me that if a player did not play much his senior year and therefore didn't have any good offers, then why not. Theoretically a player gets the chance to play and show for future prospects.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree. I noticed that as well, and I don't like that. I'd hope that an academy like FCD (the premier academy in the USA) would try to develop the best pro prospects, and wouldn't just be keeping older kids around who would be more effective against younger players.