2016-17 Coaches HotSeat Thread

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by WatzBruin, Oct 14, 2016.

1. ratmalph

ratmalph Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Joey Worthen, an assistant at South Carolina, hired at FAU

2. soccerisit

soccerisit Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Heard that McSorley at VTech or Rowland from Maryland will be the next coach at Radford

3. jiggaman123

jiggaman123 Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Mcsorley did not even interview

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Missed this last week, but San Diego announced that 2017 will be Seamus McFadden's last season as head coach and that he'll be replaced by long-time assistant (and former MLS head coach) Brian Quinn.

McFadden, the second-longest tenured coach in D-I (only Mark Berson at South Carolina has been at his gig longer), took USD to the national title game in 92 and the QFs in 2013. He's been at San Diego since 1979 and is the only head coach in program history.

Quinn, who came to the US from Northern Ireland to play in the NASL in 1981 and then played for many years in the MISL, earned 48 caps for the U.S. under Bora after getting naturalized. What's interesting is that Quinn didn't play college soccer so I don't know if he has a degree or not. He's been an assistant at USD since 2008 so maybe he's earned one while working there. Or maybe USD doesn't care. To my knowledge, the only other D-I head coach sans a degree right now is Boston College's Ed Kelly. (Also Irish and also a former USNT player.)

Fitballer, OverseasView and ratmalph repped this.
  5. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Quinn's CV is not bad. So it might explain your interesting point. As he got lines for national and local honors. Good that a successful experience is also rewarded.
    http://www.usdtoreros.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/brian_quinn_302760.html

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    For a college coach, especially one not at a school in a power conference, his CV as excellent.

Not many NCAA coaches have almost 50 caps, won a Gold Cup championship, played in the NASL and indoors, was a head coach in MLS and indoors and has a decade of experience as a college assistant and has worked extensively as a youth soccer coach in SoCal. He even knows the college and recruiting scene from a father's perspective, as his son Aodhan, played at Bradley and Akron (and is now in the USL).

That he is qualified from a soccer perspective to be the head coach at San Diego - or quite frankly, almost any program in the country - isn't in question. I can't imagine many people more qualified than he is to be a college head coach.

My only issue is the one of a bachelor's degree. As I said previously, USD may not care or they waived the requirement. Or maybe he's earned one quietly while working at USD. I don't know. I just know that for most colleges, having a degree is a requirement for their coaches, especially the head coaches.

7. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of it comes back to higher education accreditation. Colleges and universities are required to have specific amount (or certain positions) of employees with degrees -- even type of degree (Bachelor's, Master's, or terminal).

OverseasView repped this.
  8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    CaptainD repped this.
  9. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    His lack of degree might have held him back at a public university, but USD answers only to the Vatican.

Seriously, though - his reputation with coaches, parents, players and fans in San Diego is unparalleled. He will have the inside track on recruiting local talent - although it is interesting that his son went away to another school.

One last twist on the religion thing -- One of his other jobs has been as the girl's coach at a religious school - Episcopal Bishop's School in La Jolla.

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Well, he is from Belfast. Nothing says Northern Ireland like working at an Anglican school and a Catholic school at the same time. ;)

espola repped this.
  11. Hank T

Hank T Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Albuquerque
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OverseasView repped this.
  12. Obed E

Obed E New Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    May 6, 2017
    The Houston Baptist job is open on their website. Anyone know what happened there?

13. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Regarding the Ireland and Northern Ireland political topic in general, a quote I have always appreciated:

"The study of Irish history does not excite political animosity but leads to the very opposite. Thoroughly to appreciate this or any other country it is necessary to sympathize with all parties."
    - A.G. Richley, From "A Short History of the Irish People."

Regarding how the Irish and Northern Irish politics and soccer are intertwined, two interesting links reflecting some aspects of this issue:

Irish Times Article: "Martin O’Neill’s words were humbling and showed a touch of class"
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...umbling-and-showed-a-touch-of-class-1.2706046

upload_2017-5-8_13-35-2.png

"Irish & Northern Irish football explained" video:

14. Dr_Soccer17

Dr_Soccer17 New Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Any clue where Jamie Franks will end up? I can't see him staying at Denver much longer. If Ohio State has another down year, they'd be dumb to not give him $300k a year.

I feel like they have the school/facilities/athletic program to have an elite program, but Bluem seems to be holding them back year after year.

15. SammyP

SammyP Member

Nov 6, 2006
    Regardless of whether a new coach would make a significant difference...why would any school deem a men's college soccer coach worth $300K? The sport doesn't make any money, isn't going to be the primary attraction during the fall semester vs football (and the start of basketball), and would only further offset what the department would need to put in to their women's programs.

For men's college soccer to move forward they have to find a way to demonstrate some kind of perceived value to AD's and presidents. Then we'd see salaries climb across the board, the split season go through, and greater resources be allotted. Compare Men's LAX salaries vs Men's Soccer....

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  16. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Akron pays $300,000+. I'm sure there are a couple more out there.

Ohio State pays Bluem $220,000+. They have around $1m budget and lose around $800,000+ per year.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  17. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you see OSU's recruiting class? Large and pretty good. Ian Giordano is lead recruiter now which has injected some fresh, younger blood. We'll see how it shakes out.

But interestingly, Franks has recruited kids in Ohio already (Bret Smalley from Crew DA comes to mind). Might not be a bad fit/transition for him should it arise. Depends what AD would want to do with soccer program. Regardless with OSU football being king and MLS in town, soccer program doesn't have much visibility or likely warrant a huge investment.

18. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Few things here:
    Ian is in his 4th season at OSU, it's not like he is lead recruiter now, he's been the recruiter since he got there. When does a recruiting class actually show the "fingerprint" of the recruiter? I'm not saying ANYTHING about Ian, positive or negative. Just putting it out there.
    2014-15: 9-8-5 (5-3-0)
    2015-16: 13-7-3 (5-2-1)
    2016-17: 5-13-1 (3-4-1)

The 2015-16 season was a job saver for Bluem. I know personally that it was going to be the staff's last season there, then they went and had a pretty good season (thanks to B1G being pretty bad).

I wouldn't hardly say Columbus is an MLS town. Yes, Crew exist there, but it's hardly a blip on the radar anymore. Ohio State doesn't even charge admission to games, and it doesn't really need it with little attendance too. Few OSU students go to Crew games (and it shows in attendance figures). And, OSU doesn't warrant a huge investment...why give the program a $1m budget then?!

19. podborney

podborney New Member

Nov 4, 2012
    Did you also notice that OSU's recruiting classes were always rated top 10-20 in the last 4 years, since Gordona came by College Soccer News only? No other soccer site rated their classes highly. Gordona also happens to be a contributor to that website. Coincidence? He has also been rated 1 of the top 20 assistant coaches by College Soccer News . But no one else.

20. WesternWillie

WesternWillie Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that Vom Steeg won't lose his job over a bad season. But with the Gauchos now 0-2-2 and with only one goal scored so far I wonder if he might not lose his rag so totally at some point that he might do something crazy and who knows.... The dude always looks like he is about to go over the edge.

espola and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  21. WatzBruin

WatzBruin Member

Aug 23, 2011
    LA - SF Valley
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Santa Clara and Cam Rast start the season 0-4. Four different keepers get starts with the same result.

22. WatzBruin

WatzBruin Member

Aug 23, 2011
    LA - SF Valley
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Shouldn't throw stones living in a house with glass windows..Jorge has to be feeling the heat as well. Unsubstantiated Rumor has it he's in the last year of his contract.

23. WesternWillie

WesternWillie Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gauchos now 0-4-2. They are going to be throwing toast on the field in Santa Barbara.