2016-17 Champions League: auf den Spuren des verlorenen Henkelpotts

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by bvbSlash, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Are y'all talking about organization or just talent? Cause Glik has been awesome for them, on a level similar to Sokratis, and Jemerson is a good CB; although Bartra's recent form is stronger; and they've got better FBs than Schmelzer & Durm / Piscz...even if Sidibe was atrocious against Citeh...

2. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's amazing how you take players who are clearly substandard compared to their BVB counterparts and make them sound like they are better.

The vast majority of us know they aren't a walk in the part but our squad is better than theirs. So unless you've watched Monaco all season long, which we all know you haven't, don't post falsehoods on here.

eaglespark repped this.
  3. Monaco-fans

Monaco-fans New Member

Mar 19, 2017
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Hello guys
    I am a monaco fan and I think this match will be superb first at all
    After reading you i think the majority of you will be impressed by monaco team .
    Despite that I think It will be an exploit if we win . It will be a very complicated but possible match. Your team seems capable of the worst and the best .. this will be played on the form of both teams. Btw The fatigue of our being made more and more feel I hope we will handle that !
    Goog luck !
    (Sorry for my English !)

4. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Monaco have so much going against them. They have played 47 games already and are still going for a treble. They will be fighting with PSG tooth and nail to win the league.

I see the match being similar to the Leverkusen game. The first 50 minutes will be really tough and a battle, however, after Monaco tire we can exploit the spaces and run in a few goals.

5. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Either that or I have a wyscout account that is paid for by the owner's employer...

Anyway I'm curious what players you feel are clearly substandard? You're usually good for a laugh; so I'd enjoy seeing you try to argue that Sidibe & Mendy aren't much more dangerous than Durm/Pisczek's-ghost & Schmelzer, or that Glik has been anything less than a stabilizing force for their backline.

6. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Guerreiro is the best FB on either team and Monaco's defensive organization is meh at best. Dortmund's defensive organization, while not great, is all right when the full team is on the field.

7. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Agreed; but with Raphael primarily playing in the midfield this season, I didn't include him & mentioned that if I had he'd be the best FB on either side...although with the ball, Sidibe & Mendy are closer to him than they are to Schmelzer or Durm/Pisczek.

As for the difference in quality of defensive organization, that is why I differentiated defensive organization from talent at the start of my post. Tuchel does a much better job of organizing his side against the ball.

8. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's difficult to really differentiate talent from organization unless you watch a team regularly. I don't watch Monaco regularly enough to speak to, for example, the quality of their fullbacks or the quality of their centerbacks. Falcao's pedigree speaks for itself; when he's in the right system he does good work, Mbappe and Bernardo just ooze talent on the ball, and Monaco's sheer goal numbers in an okay Ligue 1 speak for themselves as well so I can safely say that their front three is going to be problematic for Dortmund. I can also safely say that Monaco struggles on defence, particularly when they aren't pressing and are trying to sit back, as shown by the Man City CL tie. But I'm not really willing to get into a comparative discourse based on the small number of times I've watched Monaco play.

9. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Monaco's worth putting on your list of teams to try to watch when a team higher on your list isn't playing. They and Nice have played some beautiful football this season. Monaco through their incredible young talent...I'd include Lemar right there with Mbappe & Bernardo in their attack and that doublepivot is very strong as well...breaking through & taking over for the big money vets that had pulled them up to european caliber (Falcao, Moutinho, etc.).

And Nice through Lucien Favre's brilliant possession structure & gift with mercurial talents like Kruse, Balotelli & Belhanda; and just tons of kids, in the midfield especially they have some extremely interesting talents...including the kid I would like to see Gladbach buy to replace Dahoud, Vincent Koziello, who is just so ridiculously smooth & silky.

There's a lot of young talent coming through that league, but those are the two teams I've made it a point this season to watch in real-time as much as I can because they play such attractive football.

MatthausSammer, chewz and bvbSlash repped this.
  10. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    When the Dahoud transfer was questionable, I wanted Koziello. Fantastic player. I'd love to buy him and loan him out.

11. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If you get Dahoud that would be overkill. Even if Tuchel doesn't see Raphael as a permanent midfielder and Merino becomes a CB, you'll still have Gotze & in time Mangala to accommodate longside Weigl & Dahoud. Leave Koziello to Nice if he doesn't want to go, or to BMG if he does want a team were he'll start every match. Benes-Koziello could soon be the new Xhaka-Dahoud.

12. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't think he's ready for a club that strives for and plays in the CL that's why I said to loan him out right away. Also he's a AM which means he will likely compete with Götze and maybe Kagawa if he stays.

Weigl, Dahoud, Merino and Mangala are already overkill. But IMO the most important thing is that they are good enough to shove Castro off the squad completely.

13. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He's no more a 10 than Ilkay, Dahoud, Amiri or Goretzka *shrug*

14. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Monaco to play Dortmund, Lyon, and PSG all within the span of one week.

15. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't always cheer for Penaldo but when I do there are better divers facing him.

16. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Vidal as usual is the dirtiest player on the pitch.

17. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Can we have Schmelzer take up a spot next to Weidenfeller permanently? If not I'm all for selling him.

18. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    You still need a squad. Schmelzer is a good option as second choice. There's nothing wrong with that. He however, should not be starting especially when we have someone infinitely better.

The press will put the turn around down to Pulisic, but the trouble was down to the tactics.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  19. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why didn't Pulisic start?

20. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Tuchel wanted to look smart.

BVBFNM repped this.
  21. Liquid1010

Liquid1010 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Tuchel going straight at UEFA. Good for him!

Boandlkramer, chewz and eaglespark repped this.
  22. Chelicerata

Chelicerata Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Pulisic didn't even do much. His footwork was good but his end product and crosses were mostly rubbish.

I would have preferred if Pulisic was deployed on the left with Dembele on the right because Dembele doesn't seem to do well on the left. His best performance has always been on the right or in the centre and even in yesterday match, his best play were coming from the right. And in the second half, he basically moved to the right side, even when Pulisic was already there and totally abandoned the left wing for only Guerreiro to stretch and this led to the team being predictable because the left side was hardly stretched..

Dembele's got one of the best crosses in the team and as such should be used on the right where he can stretch the wing and put in crosses whereas Pulisic can put his clinical precision to use on the left by cutting in to shoot at goal.

BTW, the main reason we improved was the introduction of an actual midfielder into the midfield instead of a makeshift one in Guerriero.

23. Chelicerata

Chelicerata Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I mean the introduction of an actual midfielder in Sahin, instead of the deployed makeshift one in Guerreiro.

BTW, what's wrong with this new setup? It always cut down one's post..

24. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Sahin did more in those 45 minutes vs. Monaco than Castro has done the entire season, and Tuchel still rates Castro above Sahin.

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  25. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    BTW...I hope you all pull off a miracle next week. You all didn't deserve what happened yesterday.

chewz and bvbSlash repped this.