2016-17 Breakout Youngster

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Clint Eastwood, Aug 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes, too early. He hasn't even yet played in MLS. He's certainly good enough, I think he'd be one of our better players, but lets wait until he gets some MLS games. Maybe Gold Cup, if Martino gives him significant playing time from now to then. If not, 2018 Camp Cupcake. I think the 2018 WC is a real possibility, but I don't like the idea of calling up a player who hasn't yet debuted for his first team. I don't think it would be good for him to be playing with the NT before he's playing for his club team's first team, even if he would help the NT.

2. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Di Maria, I like that.....nice

3. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I'm crushed you abandoned my Ronaldinho comparison....for an Argentine no less ;)

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    We need to actually see Carleton play against adults to know if he's anywhere near ready for the USMNT.
    So all of the discussion is premature.

Some 16-17 year olds step on the field against adults on big stages and play with absolutely no fear. That's what was so immediately remarkable about Pulisic. It wasn't just the talent, but it was that the kid wasn't intimidated by the huge stage of the Bundesliga/Champions League. It takes normal human beings some time to get used to that pressure and responsibility. Its asking too much for other kids to be on the "Pulisic timeline."

And even then, what does just getting on the field in MLS play mean? Kellyn Acosta got on the field really quickly for FCD, but it was years before a USMNT call came. And even then he had to be willing to play out of position in deference to veterans.

Carleton will have the CONCACAF U17 Championships and hopefully U17 World Cup this summer/fall.
    That'll be the extent of his involvement with US programs in 2017 (maybe a fall U20 camp as well). If he gets on the field and really opens our eyes, then a January camp invitation could be coming. But we'll need to see the performance first..............................

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We've seen him play against adult professionals in preseason, he was the most active player on the field. A 16 year old was dominating play. He's even more confident in his play than Pulisic is, so I see no reason to believe he'll just wilt once the competitions turns to MLS. And you well know Acosta is not close to the same level of prospect that Carleton is. Acosta was a talented young player, he didn't dominate to the same extent that Carleton has. Not even close, really.

As for where he'll play, we'll have to see. If he gets a chance with Atlanta, I suspect he'll be too important to their team to release to U-17 qualifying and the U-17 WC. As for the NT, it'll depend on Arena's willingness to call up very young players to the extent that Klinsmann was with Pulisic, and what is the composition of the GC squad. I think Camp Cupcake is probably when he gets his USMNT debut, but it could come earlier if Arena is willing to give young players a chance.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Pre-season is pre-season. It doesn't earn you a callup to the USMNT. [Neither does good work in USLpro games.]

I'm a big Carleton fan, but PERFORMANCE gets you callups to the USMNT.....................not reputation.
    Let's see him outperform the competition in MLS. I'm not saying he can't do it.

[​IMG]

Mahtzo1, Eleven Bravo and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Sure, I agree. I frankly don't know why he wouldn't play the same way in MLS though. He's done so, every step up in competition. The common theme against all these opponents is an overwhelming skill, technical and soccer IQ advantage.

8. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    He is more valuable to U-17 than to Atlanta, U-17 WC is more valuable for him and MLS than some regular season games. There is no chance that Atlanta won't let him go.

9. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I could tease you, which hope you know as just teasing, because you do offer a lot of really good insight.... You do kind of have this kiss of death of players on the hype train (Agudelo, Trapp, etc.)

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #535 ussoccer97531, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    I know your kind of joking, but to be serious for a moment, I don't agree with your assessment on those players. I'd say almost all have been successful. Of course, anyone is sometimes wrong, myself included.

But to get back to Carleton, I don't even think I praise him as much as some people. I might've been the first to mention he was this level of good so I get associated with hyping him up and I have voiced my frustrations with his lack of PT, something that isn't an outrageous ask, but some of the things people have said the last six months or so I think might be going a little too far. He still has obvious parts of his game he needs to improve on. He's not Lionel Messi, which some have compared him to.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They didn't let him go to the last U-17 camp, and he didn't even make the roster for that game.

12. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    That camp wasn't important for him. He is on the team anyway. Him starring at WC would make a lot of money to MLS and Atlanta.

13. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carleton is a boss, it's just a wait and see approach now, but if you have watched him......ibe never seen a U.S. prospect with more promise, Pulisic included. I watched Pulisic dominate the levels, Carelton is more dominant. He literally just plays around when he's with his age group, he gives a half ass effort amd completely dominates......its as impressive as I've seen. It's not that he's more athletic like we have seem with prospects in the last. His touch, ball control, passing and crossing are just incredible for his age......sky is the limit and we will get to enjoy watching him become a monster

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are the geeks, most people don't understand until they see him scoring goals with the MNT, weve seen this coming the whole way.......i love this sht lol

Anderson11 repped this.
  15. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ceiling is the roof?

Donny10 repped this.
  16. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  17. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pomykal started and went 80 tonight, the youngest ever to start for FC Dallas. He did not stand out in what was a forgettable game.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He didn't do anything exceptional, but he also didn't look "out of place." That's something in itself for a kid who only recently turned 17.

Far from the national team, though. He's not even in our U20 national team! Actually we had two STARTERS in MLS this weekend that didn't make our U20 CONCACAF Championships roster: Pomykol and Portland's fullback Marco Farfan.

Anderson11 repped this.
  19. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this case, are you referring to di Maria or Carleton (or both?). Because Angel di Maria is very fast; probably one of the fastest wingers in the world still. Are you saying Carleton is di Maria minus the speed?

20. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trying not to be too harsh on the kid, but unless the goal is to turn him into a conservative #8, I would keep him away from the first team. He was super conservative, in both his passing and on-the-ball play.

So yes, he took very few (no) risks and flew under the radar. In doing so he did not look completely lost. At 17 years old, though, you want your young potential #10's taking all sorts of risks, screwing up, and learning from mistakes. I hope he gets a ton of playing time to develop his game, but at a lower level.

deuteronomy repped this.
  21. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marco Farfan (18) started his first game for the Timbers against the Galaxy.

22. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very composed up and down the left side.

23. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy, although the OP ruled him out . . .

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Sorry for the late response, I was on vacation last week, and although I logged in a few times, I was too lazy to respond to any posts lol.

I would say that I disagree about di Maria's speed. I don't know if you are misinterpreting what I'm saying. Carleton certainly isn't slow. He's just not Joe Gyau, when it comes to speed. Neither is di Maria. I would say both have average/slightly above average sprinting speed, but really good quickness. I've seen di Maria win very few 100% foot races. He has game speed in the sense that if its a situation where he uses some sprinting, some quickness, speed of thought, ability on the ball, leverage in relation to the spot he's trying to get to against defenders, he could look fast and Carleton can as well, but pure sprinting speed getting to a spot over like 30 yards, I wouldn't say either is great.

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Pomykal shouldn't be expected to be great yet. Very few players are able to immediately impact first team pro games at his age. Being "okay" is good progression for the overwhelming majority of players his age.