2016-17 Breakout Youngster

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Clint Eastwood, Aug 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

this is a great video of Carleton.....really impressive stuff at the 5 minute mark. Kid is just deadly on the attack

Namdynamo, ussoccer97531 and butters59 repped this.
  2. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sXeWesley and xbhaskarx repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think some people are going to be very surprised eventually, but for now, he needs to earn his minutes, which I believe he will do.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  5. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You watch it at all, I missed it.....how'd he look

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I didn't, some in the Youngsters in MLS thread on the YNT board said he didn't have much of an impact, but regardless, good that he got his debut.

7. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice, hopefully I get to see him some this year, I live in Dallas....should be another good season for us

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  8. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice touch and mostly tidy in possession, but didn't do anything amazing. Certainly decent enough for a débutante who relatively recently turned 17. I didn't think he looked overwhelmed.

For now, it's all about adjusting to the speed of play at this level. Once he finds his sea legs, we'll want to see some inventiveness and chance creation. One step at a time.

9. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He ain't got no legs Lt Dan.....lol

10. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA U-20's advance to final vs Honduras, through to the World Cup:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/03/03/usa-2-el-salvador-1-2017-concacaf-u-20-championship-recap

Emmanuel Sabbi of Las Palmas scored the opener, slotting a goal past the Salvadoran 'keeper after a beautiful throughball from D.C. United product Eryk Williamson. Williamson followed that up with an incredible strike from 25 yards out that was blasted into the back of the net off a half volley.

The US have now advanced to the World Cup for the third straight cycle and 10 of the last 11.

USA Lineup (4-1-4-1): Jonathan Klinsmann -- Marlon Fossey, Tommy Redding, Justen Glad, Auston Trusty -- Erik Palmer-Brown (Capt.) (32' Sebastian Saucedo) -- Brooks Lennon (80' Jeremiah Gutjahr) , Eryk Williamson, Tyler Adams, Luca De La Torre -- Emmanuel Sabbi (72' Coy Craft) Subs not used: JT Marcinkowski, Danny Acosta, Jonathan Lewis, Jeremy Ebobisse

ussoccer97531 and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  11. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Pretty mind-boggling that DCU hasn't signed him to a homegrown deal.

Although maybe at this point Williamson's preference is Europe, where he reportedly has garnered some interest.

13. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations to our Under 20's, Concacaf Champions . . .

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Lots of interesting talent in this group even if they were missing Pulisic, CCV, Akale, Perez, Wright, Taitague, McKennie, Zelalem, etc.

The defensive unit in the midfield and the the backline was immense. Tyler Adams, Eric Palmer-Brown, Justen Glad, Tommy Redding, etc. were great. I was pleasantly surprised by Fossey at right back.

Some of the attackers had substandard tournaments. Ebobisse, Sabbi, Craft, etc. really didn't do a hell of a lot.

But replace them with some of the elite talent I listed above, and this team could be cooking at the World Cup.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

16. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My team put him in a bad situation and I'm disappointed because of that. But EPB was smart to get to Europe for a loan where he could showcase his talent in front of scouts.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  17. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Does his contract end at the end of the season or year? Hopefully at least SKC gets something in return if he decides to go to Europe. It has alot to do with his injury return timeframe and if SKC incorporate him into the team finally.
    It does seem like he won't resign with SKC but you never know. Picking the right team is paramount. Don't want a repeat of the Miazga situation. Pick the right team close to first team minutes and not the biggest team with the biggest salary.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I read that EPB and Glad both aren't that seriously injured, but neither practiced today. So maybe they miss a few weeks, not that bad.

SUDano repped this.
  19. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS contracts run through Dec

SUDano repped this.
  20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann will have to go to Europe if he wants to improve. :)

21. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Yeah, if I had a gun to my head and was forced to compare him to someone, it would be Ronaldinho.

22. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reminds me a lot of Reus....quick,fast, loves to cut in and a nasty cross

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't agree at all. Reus is not that creative, more of an athletic goal scoring winger. Carleton's game is creating attacking chances without being that athletic or having great speed. Reus has very good speed, and hunts goals. He has some skill, but thats not what his game is mostly about.

The Ronaldinho comparison is not bad, if Carleton makes the athletic improvements from 16-18 that Pulisic made. If he does that, he can be a world class player eventually. Even without that, he can still be pretty good. His skill and creativity is reminiscent of Ronaldinho, but Ronaldinho was a physical specimen, about 6'0 with good sprinting speed.

I'm gonna come up with a really good comparison though. I'll think about this, and report back when I find a good comparison.

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it too early to call him up for the USMNT?
    The average age of Morris, Pulisic and Carleton is 18 years and 8 months. Even if you throw Altidore in the average age of the front four would still be 20 years and 9 months.
    I can't see England doing anything in the next 2 World Cups but I'm excited about the USMNT's potential in 2022.
    USA vs. Canada in the final, you heard it here first.

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I found a good comparison.

Angel Di Maria. Incredible playmaking ability, and technical skill allows him to create tons of attacking chances. Makes the game look so easy without being that athletic or fast. Seemingly has eyes in the back of his head. Also has very good finishing ability. The only differences being that Di Maria is very one footed, and Carleton is very two-footed.

I was watching some De Bruyne videos, and the standout passing was the same, but De Bruyne doesn't use creativity as much as Carleton does. Maybe the same playmaking and goal scoring along with the same athleticism, but Carleton uses creativity and dribbling way more often than De Bruyne. They look identical so its an easy comparison lol, but it was only a good comparison to an extent.