(2016.10.11) FIFA World Cup Qualifier: Australia vs Japan

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Dax, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I can't remember the last time it wasn't 1-1 with Australia haha
    Anyway it's a good point, there's very little to complain like Saito not playing

2. Interiores

Interiores Member

East Tokyo United
    Japan
    Jun 3, 2016
    Japan
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Last time we met them, we won 3-1 if i'm not wrong.

edit:
    Well, it was 2-1

3. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    sorry, I was thinking just about the official WCQ matches

4. Radu Razvan

Radu Razvan Member+

Mar 1, 2013
    Bucharest, Romania
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Vahid said are two dropped points, but he did a defensive change and Nishikawa went with the ball to the ground in the extra time.

5. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Vahid... says many things. He's a good PR man. Hopefully he says the important things when he's alone with the players

6. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    it's much more pragmatic than that, with a lead in their hands and a shape well held, there was no reason to concede this PK, thus the points dropped.

7. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Well, Juric could pull off a Honda-move and pass the ball to Nishikiwa standing 10 meters from the goal alone but I wouldn't count on that. Haraguchi could pray (like Yamaguchi did in this situation) or try to do something. This time it went wrong.

8. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Yeh there was no reason to concede the PK, but does that excuse him for playing for the draw from there on after?

Radu Razvan repped this.
  9. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Or he could try to avoid running into walls. It was a mistake, everybody saw it, he saw it, case closed. We're still thankful for the goal he scored.

rougou > better take the point than risking to lose it, the team can hardly score against Iraq so against Australia.

10. Sakaguchi92

Sakaguchi92 Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    It was noticeable that Honda refused to even look at Vahid when he came off, maybe it's just me but this team atmosphere seems below average. Not helped when he makes comments like "Honda should've done better, we might've won the game" and "I was worried the pressure might've got to them" (In reference to the late change for Asano and Saito staying on the bench). Talking way too much rubbish at the moment.

Was he oblivious to Honda looking exhausted, why wasn't he substituted earlier if he was playing so bad? Why was Kagawa on for so long? WTF is he picking the likes of Saito in the first place then if he's worried about "pressure"? He then gave Maruyama a debut!

11. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    I was mindlessly "ouendanning" for Asano to score not for Japan sake but cuz I couldn't stand Tim Cahill behaviour anymore. He acted as it was granted a goal by him, like Kobayashi was faking injuries and he didn't smash Hasebe with an elbow punch. Dirty old out of form player with that pathetic trick of hiding behind his brainless huge mate to sneak score by head.

Well if they played for a draw, they tried a too much dangerous game even if Australia had poor chances, cuz they could easly score by head and faking some other pk (as #9 tried again after the first pk). In a lot of past match this type of game ended bad.

Well, take this ********ing point and 0 losses and wait for november games.

12. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    You're onto something true actually though I can't say much more about it ...

13. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I have mixed feelings about Cahill. He kind of grew on me over the years but when he does those dirty tricks it can get annoying. And I wish the ref would show a yellow when players hook on to a defender and then throw themselves to the ground to try and earn a PK. Not Cahill but some other guy tried that with Yoshida. If it's not a PK, it should be a yellow card.

14. poponponpon

poponponpon Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    it was a good game and reminded me of 2010 wc japan. everyone played like workhorses. those who complain about the style of play know nothing about the history of the japanese team. japan has never succeeded at higher level with so-called "possession soccer".

Saku² repped this.
  15. gamban98

gamban98 Member

Dec 7, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I agree with this observation by an Australian fan. I think Japan's current tactics work better away from home.

nipponbasse83 repped this.
  16. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    And UAE got smashed by Saudi Arabia ( Dax were right on that one), so this group is now wide-open.

The away matches in Dubai and Riyadh will be the key-matches now for Japan. If they can avoid defeat in those 2 games they should have a very good chance to clinch 1st or 2nd.

The other group is also exciting, and would be cool to finally get Uzbekistan to the WC.

Radu Razvan repped this.
  17. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I almost wish I wasn't actually... they had already beat UAE in the previous round so this isn't too surprising, but overall the Saudis are doing... exactly what we should have been doing to qualify.

This is good for us because it takes UAE down a bit when they had 3 "extra" points.
    Last time, Jordan had beaten Australia and even us, at home (with a little help from Endo), however they bleeded points every time against Oman, Iraq so they came a distant third.

This time, Thailand sadly seems a non-factor even if there is a tiny chance that they might be able to do something at home, but I really wouldn't count on it. And the Saudis already did their job against Iraq away. I expect nothing less than 3 points at home too.

So, it'll be vital that they get (mostly) 0 points away against Australia, UAE and us, it'd be very dangerous if they didn't...

Right. And given what happened with UAE at home, let's also add that 3 points against Saudi Arabia at home are a must...

18. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, Vahid's postmatch comments regarding the substitutions were taken out of context in the media. Since Australia's only legitimate attacking threats consisted of corners and free kicks, he was reluctant to take off the fatigued Honda and Kobayashi, who had important roles in defending set pieces. He was concerned that Asano or Saito wouldn't be able to execute as well, specifically on those FKs and CKs, which is why he eventually opted to insert Maruyama instead.

As ugly as the on-field product was, Japan rendered the Australian attack toothless, and every player was 100% committed and on the same page tactically. They had a job to do and got it done, shorthanded in the most difficult tie of the entire qualifying campaign.

Next m0nth at home will be easier, with only a single home qualifier preceded by a warm-up friendly. Hopefully by then the likes of Kagawa and Okazaki will have found their footing at club level as well.

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  19. Radu Razvan

Radu Razvan Member+

Mar 1, 2013
    Bucharest, Romania
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    I think it will be a win in UAE, but in Saudi Arabia it's really difficult.

20. Interiores

Interiores Member

East Tokyo United
    Japan
    Jun 3, 2016
    Japan
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    If that tame Australia managed to snatch a draw, well, it is very reasonable to set draw as a minimum target. Unless we are being undone by the ref once again.

21. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    The point is that this Australia is not "higher level" since years.
    However Valhid got the risk and won the bet then it's all right.

22. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #122 AIL1998, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    Saudi Arabia vs. Iraq match may be played in a neutral venue. At this point, do not count on UAE to get anything out of their second leg game against Saudi Arabia. Why? Well the reason is that they will not be out of competition before their Japan game but they may be out of completion before their game against Saudi Arabia.

23. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Competition:)