2015 USL Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by ManuSooner, Mar 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @ Portland: 3,095 :x3:

@ Richmond: 2,868 :coffee:
    @ Charleston: 4,318 :)
    @ Toronto: ... :cautious:
    @ OKC: 3,717 :eek:
    @ Colorado Springs: 2,200 ;)

@ Austin: 2,765 :eek: (Both OKC and Austin get this for the storms.)
    @ Vancouver: 1,453 :thumbsdown:
    @ RBNY II: 1,004 :rolleyes:
    @ Saint Louis: 4,783 :thumbsup:

2. alexspepa

alexspepa Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i know some charlotte fans went down to Charleston because you could hear them singing on the webcast...that should turn out to be a very good rivalry.

3. davideinstein

davideinstein Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were 3-4k at the OKC/Tulsa 3rd round match last night. No offical tally that I can find but similiar crowd for when we played St. Louis.

4. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #254 Macsen, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
    Toronto still hasn't reported for 5/23.

And nobody's added attendance to the tournament Wikipedia page.

Sacramento is reporting 10,018. I doubt many will do better than that for that round. :thumbsup:

5. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Prosoccercdn repped this.
  6. davideinstein

davideinstein Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure you want to open the floodgates on comparing any attendance figures between the Roughnecks and Athletics.

7. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #257 USRufnex, May 30, 2015
    Last edited: May 30, 2015
    I think the attendance floodgates would've opened had Tulsa played an NASL home opener against the NY Cosmos at Chapman Stadium rather than the Energy at ONEOK. I see the Roughnecks didn't publish attendance for the open cup game against Seacoast at TU... unsurprising.

[​IMG]

If a professional USL team with a relatively huge advertising budget in its first season at a state of the art downtown baseball park can't outdraw the amateur NPSL club playing down the street, then you're doing it all wrong.

I went to the TU-Virginia soccer game last fall; it drew 2,200.
    Roughnecks vs. Seacoast?... not so much.
    On a positive note, it'll be interesting to see if Tulsa tops the ratings for today's FA Cup Final on Fox like we did last year... http://www.socceramerica.com/article/58225/english-fa-cup-audience-up-13-percent-on-fox.html

8. davideinstein

davideinstein Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US Open Cup did not draw that well. There was not a lot of a marketing push for it. All of the efforts were going towards tonight. If we do under 5k then I'll be surprised.

9. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Their both playing at home tonight I think, will be interesting to see the numbers although NPSL didn't publish any for the Athletics last match and nothing from the team so maybe no numbers from them for this game as well.

10. davideinstein

davideinstein Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Their attendance has dropped significantly.

11. davideinstein

davideinstein Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5755 in Tulsa tomight.

12. chris570

chris570 Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
  13. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @ Rochester: ... :cautious:
    @ Pittsburgh: 2,855 :whistling:
    @ Richmond: 2,954 :cool:
    @ Charleston: 5,455 :)
    @ Louisville: 7,185 (current home record) :thumbsup:
    @ Tulsa: 5,755 :sneaky:
    @ OC: 1,052 :giggle:
    @ Los Dos: 560 :confused:
    @ Sacramento: 11,442 (new Bonney Field record) :thumbsup:

Pretty awesome Saturday all around. With Vancouver and OKC today, shouldn't hurt.

davideinstein and QuietType repped this.
  14. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was going to post the Sac number but you beat me to it! :)

Damn, good job Louisville!

I think these numbers continue to show the independent/affiliate teams generate more interest than the "MLS 2" teams. Not that the gap is there in terms of performance on the field, but seeing basically a reserve team of your major league team in town is not a big draw. A few hundred people to a game is pathetic.

15. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Have you been to any of our games this season?

16. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    4,478 @ Rochester. Very light for them.

17. davideinstein

davideinstein Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope.

18. davideinstein

davideinstein Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a season USL attendance thread but you just can't help yourself trying to give the Athletics a plug. Unless your lower division team starts pulling the numbers the Roughnecks are this season then you're wasting our time once again.

Feel free to post the attendance at the Athletics last night if you want to compare it to the 5755 that were at Oneok.

19. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is not an NPSL thread. This is also not a rivalry thread. Leave the Athletics out of here.

davideinstein repped this.
  20. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    I thought a comparison of this year's US Open Cup attendance at ONEOK against the OKC Energy to last year's US Open Cup attendance at Tulsa Athletics Stadium against the Energy was apt and on topic.

As a fan who's gone to most of the new Roughnecks games this year and also has season tix to the NPSL Athletics, I'll continue to provide insight and local perspective when I feel it's warranted.

21. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is more of a situation where the independent teams actually have an incentive to properly market their clubs.. For the MLS clubs, if they are going to spend their marketing dollars on a team, they are going to spend it on the parent club.

davideinstein repped this.
  22. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Vancouver : 1502

23. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh, it's not so much marketing as what's already in that market. OKC doesn't have any pro soccer in town so people come out in the thousands to see them. LA Galaxy II play in the same location as "the" Galaxy. No amount of marketing is going to get people to come out to go watch the reserves/kids when they have the "real thing" already in town. Especially a situation where the stadium is not in a good location for most people to take advantage of. Think of any other professional sport in America. Would the Reno Bighorns do better if instead they were the "Sacramento Kings II" and located in Sacramento? Probably not. Would the Sacramento Rivercats pull as much if they were "San Francisco Giants II" and played in SF? Probably not. Again, I think this is one of those soccer issues where organizations are trying to fit the European model round peg into the American square hole. It might be better to not have the "MLS 2" teams set up in the league like currently.

The One X repped this.
  24. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
  25. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attendance is not the barometer of success for MLS 2 teams. It stuns me how many people simply don't understand that.

It's not a "European" thing trying to force it's way into the US farm team setup. It's a "we want keep development under one roof right" which is a priority over "we want to potentially turn a tiny profit in exchange for having to setup an entire other wing of our company, including marketing this new part of our company, restricting our access to our developing assets and have our employes relocate back and forth between metro areas". The Galaxy doesn't care at all about attendance. S2 and T2 get overflow from a rabid fanbase but I guarantee you that S2 and T2 wouldn't be moving to Spokane or Eugene if they weren't getting decent attendances. All MLS teams thus far have opted to stay in the metro area, and RSL certainly explored putting a team in SD. That says a lot about how MLS teams view things, even after watching Los Dos struggle at the gate last year.

ATX1 repped this.