2015 US Open Cup SF: Union v. Chicago, August 12, 2015 p/d/p (R)

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by celt1997, Aug 10, 2015.

?

Predict the Outcome: Union v. Chicago

Poll closed Aug 13, 2015.
  1. Win

65.5%
  2. Loss

34.5%
  1. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The simple answer to this is that the USOC is a single-elimination tournament. No one will ever argue that in 1991 University of Richmond was a superior basketball team than Syracuse, but, guess what? For that particular game they were better...and that's all it takes.

The rest of your questions, well, they would be best asked of the ownership/coaching staff of those other teams. For the Union, they take it seriously, and I'm glad they do. It is a trophy that carries history and prestige, and the CCL spot it offers is a HUGE prize.

jaykoz3, Amscray, aztec21bas and 6 others repped this.
  2. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    For me the Cup format is the best for capturing the unpredictability of sports and so it comes with excitement and potential of it's own. If you don't like it, fine, but you probably shouldn't like the playoff system, either.

3. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, for one, love the history of the Open Cup. Having been gone on for over 100 years, it is one of the few remnants of history, tradition, and legacy we have for soccer in this country.

4. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I think it would be a lot less exciting if they experienced success before. It's the attempt at the first trophy.

Let the people have their fun.

5. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I dunno, Seattle and SKC seem pretty proud of their cup wins. They're not exactly bottom dwellers.

buzzkiller23 and thomas19064 repped this.
  6. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago vs Union happens because the Open Cup is weird. Any team can win a one-off game. I suppose for the first round most teams play the "B" team because its against tier II teams, but after that its generally a decent effort lineup wise. If you don't honestly think marching into RBA on a Tuesday afternoon and beating what was very much their "A" team with 10 men in a do-or-die situation isn't something to be proud of...I really don't know what to tell you. That game is something we are going to talk about for years. And even if it was a "B+" team vs DC, they were still down 1-0 while playing with 10 men against professionals. Winning that game took some legit grit.

And even if you overlook the above -- the bottom line is that the winner goes to CONCACAF. That alone, by itself, makes it important. The Union will be playing games that matter in other countries. They might even play somewhere as crazy as Estadio Azteca. I might have an insane Mexican throwing a beer cup of urine at me in a fit of rage and hatred. They will have the opportunity to play into Club World Cup! How awesome would that be?

7. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this whole time Nick Sak was just building a tournament team.... just wait, a year from now we'll beat America for the CCL title, and then we'll beat Barcelona for the CWC title. CALLING IT NOW.

lopezzzz repped this.
  8. hug.the.post

hug.the.post Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Delaware county
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    You should get that concussion checked out. You're becoming delusional.

9. Ascalz

Ascalz BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not the fault of the Union or the Fire that the "better" teams didn't feel like putting out their best players for the Open Cup. Also, as someone else said, it only takes one game. Upsets happen all the time. Sometimes USL or NASL teams manage to beat MLS teams in the Open Cup, does that mean that they're better teams or that the USL and NASL are better leagues?

Given the Salary Cap in the league and the player roster restrictions, MLS teams sometimes have to choose which competition they feel the need to take "seriously" if your team is doing very well during the season, you tend to focus on the playoffs, supporter's shield, etc. However, if your team isn't doing well, you focus on the Open Cup.