2015 US Open Cup SF: Union v. Chicago, August 12, 2015 p/d/p (R)

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by celt1997, Aug 10, 2015.

?

Predict the Outcome: Union v. Chicago

Poll closed Aug 13, 2015.
  1. Win

65.5%
  2. Loss

34.5%
  1. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Because we give up a goal whenever he subs late.

2. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Interesting that the Fire fans had a "#HauptmanOut" banner. We have quite a lot in common.

jaykoz3, drewuke, LuckyStriker and 2 others repped this.
  3. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to everyone who contributed to the #AllTheMarbles hashtag recently. Don't think we got it trending, but at least the team is acknowledging it somewhat ...
    631835186087399426 is not a valid tweet id

drewuke, amusiccale, Amscray and 3 others repped this.
  4. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    9/30/2015 - #MOARMARBLES

henryo, breslinp, LimeTree and 5 others repped this.
  5. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    also playing for extra time. they give up a late one, we get Nando off the bench in extra time

rather that scenario than subbing in fred and pfeff, giving up a late one, and being stuck with them for the extra 30

jaykoz3 and drewuke repped this.
  6. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I have zero issue with Fred as a late sub when we're up. Aside from the elbow, he's been solid in limited action and does a good job playing keep away. I don't care for him as a sub when we need to score, but as a lead protector he has a role.

7. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ironically...one of those times he just flung the ball seemingly blindly forward into a crowd wound up resulting in the only goal.

8. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in Portland last weekend, and took in a Timbers match (incredible, incredible gameday experience over there). They were playing Chicago, and after the first half I was ready to bet my savings on the Union. The Fire are *really* bad. For some reason they played their first-choice 11, even though they were playing out of conference all the way across the country--and they wound up getting their best player (Accam) injured to boot.

I like a lot of those players (Magee, Shipp, Polster and Larentowicz, especially) so feel kinda bad for them. Union fans are tough on our DP's for not being elite enough--only one of Chicago's DP's is even an above average MLS guy.

jmalex repped this.
  9. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I was listening to Soccer Morning today on SiriusXM FC. I like Jason Davis' show and his perspective........today he called out PPL Park and Union Fans (Not the SoB's). Said he doesn't view PPL Park as a "ShowCase" venue for the USOC Final.........

We need to fill PPL and at the least equal the atmosphere of last season's Final (it'll be tough w/o the traveling horde of Hipster Sounders fans in the house. Let's face it, TRE is at it's best when the visitors have a sizeable fan presence)!

It just irritated me. Philly has arguably the most passionate, loyal, and vocal fans in the country (on the whole for all of it's teams). We need to support this team, our team on Sept. 30. Last year's final was the best gameday atmosphere at PPL Park by far in it's short history, and we need to match that at a minimum!!!

Ok rant over.......

10. TonyClarkDOOP

TonyClarkDOOP Member+

Jun 18, 2010
    Oxford, United Kingdom
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im not sure he watched last years final. Atmosphere was top notch... However I do understand why he has come to that conclusion. How can you "justify" when SKC pulls stupid numbers for a semi final and we pull 6K which was probably 4K in sales.

I thought the team did a TERRIBLE job marketing the final last year and they pulled great numbers.

Not one sign anywhere downtown. I know its probably expensive. but think about it, how many people walk down walnut every day? They see a sign saying Union in Championship game (don't need to say USOC, they won't know difference). I bet they would come to game

thomas19064 and jaykoz3 repped this.
  11. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey
    Then imagine seeing that sign during the pope visit

Doop, drewuke and TonyClarkDOOP repped this.
  12. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    We'll put an old picture of Carlos up and brand ourselves as the San Lorenzo of MLS.

Doop and riot71 repped this.
  13. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of which...I put in for the pope drawing and won. How much are scalped pope septa tickets worth?

Starpork repped this.
  14. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a fair comment, imo.

PPL is a nice stadium with a great view and TRE has spirit, but I don't know if the Union are really in the top echelon of MLS gameday experiences. Maybe it's just because I'm coming back from seeing a few matches elsewhere, but it was really eye-opening.

But one way to change that is to make sure big events like the Open Cup final set a higher bar, like you said.

UnionDues, drewuke, lopezzzz and 2 others repped this.
  15. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the contrary viewpoint, I remain mystified why a segment of the American internet fanbase places so much importance on the Open Cup. For decades, similar national cups have declined in importance in other countries. Yet Americans are not "true fans" unless they support their team in the Open Cup. And often there is a subtext that the MLS playoff system does not yield legitimate league champions, whereas "purer" formats like a single-elimination competition are more worthy of the "true fan's" interest.

Most people have to prioritize their time and money and for me, and many others, the Open Cup is not worth it.

16. MattyB316

MattyB316 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Delco, PA (137 H)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    By some miracle my rotating days off and the final coincide so I will ecstatically be attending the game on the 30th.

Anyone know how much TRE tickets for the final were last year? I'll just be grabbing my regular STH seats for this one. just don't know how much they usually are.

17. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    So you don't want to attend a championship game because similar cups in Europe are declining in importance? I don't think anyone is under the illusion that the USOC is more important than MLS Cup, but the same teams that try to win MLS Cup (with the exception of the Galaxy) place a similar emphasis on winning the Open Cup. I think it's odd that fans of the Union would prioritize a regular season game at PPL over a game where an actual trophy is at stake.

18. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a person that puts importance on the Open Cup...It's pretty simple. CONCACAF Champions League entry and a trophy that says you outlasted every team in the United States. Just these two things alone make it worthy of attention, IMO.

19. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the game day experience at PPL has declined a bit overall, but I don't think it was bad Wednesday because the 5k or so were really into it. The thing is, the union have sucked. Put a good team on the field and I think that changes. The final last year was electric.

buzzkiller23, jaykoz3, Starpork and 5 others repped this.
  20. TonyClarkDOOP

TonyClarkDOOP Member+

Jun 18, 2010
    Oxford, United Kingdom
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won, but for the airport line thinking people would need them when they land. Someone told me you get em free with an air ticket. So I passed on them

21. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You got your priorities all wrong. The Cup games have been much more important (as WVUPHarm2007 explained above) than the League games that most likely will not put us into play-off spot.

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  22. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, this is my line of thinking.... there are 3 domestic trophies you can win, perfect situation you'd win all three, but you should be happy with winning any

... top Priority is MLS Cup obviously, with Supporters Shield and the Open Cup as secondary trophies... The Union have essentially been eliminated from the other two options so why wouldn't you increase your interest and focust in favor of the Open Cup?

I realize people already have the regular season as a sunk cost, but those games are essentially meaningless at this point and you can watch the meaningful open cup games for a relatively small price... If anything I would think it's more excusable to discount the open cup when you have a good regular season - but when your having a season like this and it's your only hope how could it not get attention?

throw in the CCL berth that was mentioned above and it just perplexes me how people can say they don't care about this competition.

aztec21bas repped this.
  23. lopezzzz

lopezzzz Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    And the extra allocation money teams competing in the CCL receive from the league would be on top of the allocation money the Union will receive for missing the playoffs. Hell, imagine if the team could figure out how to hire a GM to manage those Garber Bucks!

Ok, that's enough positive thinking from me.

24. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's like settling for the 3rd hottest girl at a party, but you still score.

25. hug.the.post

hug.the.post Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Delaware county
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Riddle me this then: how does two bottom dwellers play in the semi final for an "oh so important cup"? Why does every other MLS team pretty much play their second team in these matches? After watching the Union play all season how can you be "proud" they are in the cup? We played our "A" team ( so ok we don't really have a "B" team)in every game and won a couple of games because of a quick thinking keeper who guessed correctly. If and that's a big IF they win the Cup its going to come with a lot of tarnish on it.