2015 US Nats - Rev Content

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by dncm, Feb 8, 2015.

1. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Jones was middling to poor yesterday. Too many giveaways. But what is this Klinsmann fetish for playing guys out of their natural position, in matches that count? I'm all for experimentation, where there's a reason for it, but can't it be confined to training, or friendlies?

I know this is a wholly original complaint, but still.

dncm repped this.
  2. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
  3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I thought he was pretty darn good - we were pressured in our own end for much of the game, so everyone is going to have giveaways when the holding players have defenders up their @'s. This was a defend and counter game, so stats and completion % are going to be poor.

I thought Jones was one of the best US players in holding the ball, working in tight spaces and finding teammates. I thought he, Cameron and Guzan were our best performers.

I thought Zardes was okay, but didn't do anything too spectacular. Yedlin was great setting up Woods' goal and didn't get caught out of position like he usually does. Dempsey was poor IMO and Altidore didn't do enough (to be fair, we didn't get our forwards many decent opportunities). I think Dempsey's in decline, and I'm not sure he'll even be a factor in 2018.
    I think Klinsman wanted to get his best 11 on the field, regardless of position - so that meant playing some guys (Jones) out of position. In a game like that, against a team like that, we needed our most experienced, poised players, so finding a place for Jones was critical (and the defensive experience has been successful enough ... yet).

He possibly could have dropped Beckerman and played Jones at dmid, but Beckerman is a pretty steady, reliable defensive, midfield presence - with a little nastiness rolled in. And, if JK did that, which winger would he bring in to justify it?

I would have liked to see Diskerud, but he's a central guy too. Bedoya would have been an option if he had been available.

dncm repped this.
  4. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Jones was the only midfielder that showed anything in that game. Zardes showed he's not at this level yet but I think he's worth investing in.

I seriously hope Lee isn't called up to ride the bench for 80 minutes. We need a creative mid to drive the attack and Lee is the best option at central on this roster. That being said, I think JK screws with his head to the extent that he's so afraid of making a mistake, he doesn't show well. Give the kid the start and lets see what happens. I am a believer that Lee can do it and the JK will mess with him

dncm repped this.
  5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being at the game, I haven't seen a replay so I might have missed things ...

Jones was good. I thought Bradley was excellent till he tired. Jozy was useless. He was gassed in the 90th minute, and I have no idea why JK left him on into extra time. That was the one thing that everyone around me noticed as well.

Dempsey ... well, he wasn't good. He went down too easily a couple of times, and I have no idea why he didn't shoot the one great chance he had, opting to pass.

RevsLiverpool and dncm repped this.
  6. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cannot for the life of me see what Klinsmann sees in Jozy? For me his a big stiff 90% of the time. Now he's given up trying to dribble and its one heel flick after another. None of which work. Maybe if Lee actually gets a fair shot he can spoon feed the big stiff a shot.

I think Dempsey is done

7. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Dempsey's done. Age + injuries + Klinsmann's stupid national team camps is too much for him to handle. It's a shame. I think Klinsmann has physically damaged some of our best players, and punished other players (like now FabJo) for not being willing to physically damage themselves because of his stupid tactics.

8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I thought the same thing about Altidore - he had one brief opening on one of his runs to shoot and he passed off.
    There's a lot to see in Altidore, but this wasn't his type of game. Neither he nor Dempsey got enough service.
    I think Dempsey started falling off the moment he returned to MLS. He's able to be successful in Seattle without the intense work required to stay competitive in the EPL. Everything that's happened since has convinced me that he's no longer interested in being the best he can be.

In fact, a lot of what JK has to deal with is the returning of the USNT stars to MLS. It hasn't been good for any of them - it's too easy for them to star in MLS. The best thing for our USNT is for our players to be moving in the other direction, not getting big contracts to play in a less-competitive league.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  9. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #135 VTSoccerFan, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    usmnt.jpg
    653984690467115008 is not a valid tweet id
    - US Soccer deleted the tweet. I saved the image and will try to post later.

Some Revs in a pre game picture of the team.

10. sean'o

sean'o Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Obviously Klinsie doesn't make a direct difference on the play in the field. But after Mexivo and Costa Rica, he is not coaching a competitive national team.

11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #137 RevsLiverpool, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    Spot on here. It's to the detriment of our NT. In a way I wish MLS didn't make it so easy to come back - AND still earn big $$$. If they come back, make them earn their way up, not get it handed to them on a silver f'n platter. Stay hungry. Act like you care.

Once these players hit a certain age, wash out at Spurs, Roma, Sunderland, Utrecht they know MLS is in their back pocket. Sad really. I am glad at least Howard and Guzan ply their trade abroad.

12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't watch the Costa Rica game. Did Lee get minutes? How did he do?

Ps less than 10k attended at RBA for Costa Rica, with 93k at the Rose Bowl on Saturday. Embarrasing. WTF happened?!? We lose, send some starters home and everyone disappears?

13. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lee played the last 20 minutes or so, Jones played the first half.

14. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did Lee look?

15. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    First game mattered, 2nd didn't.

16. superkeeper

superkeeper Member

Jul 9, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That played a big part for sure. I think Saturday night versus Tuesday night probably accounts for at least some of it as well.

BrianLBI repped this.
  17. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I didn't have a 3 month old and it didn't require a 8 hour drive RT on a Tuesday, I'd have been there.

18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    He did okay. CR defenders handled him fairly easily with physical challenges. He got the ball a number of times on the wing (he came in on the left), but mostly was forced to play the ball back to the defense or keeper because a physically stronger player was leaning on him.

A couple of times he got the ball forward and had a chance to move with the ball and look for someone to set up, but mostly found no one making good runs and had to play it back or laterally. I think there was one time where he worked himself into a nice open pocket, with a chance to make a play, but again, no one really opened up for him.

He really needs a chance to see how he fits in when the team is functioning well. Last night, with the starters, we held our own, but really created little. And then things got worse as more subs were worked in. By the time LN came in, CR was pretty comfortably keeping us pinned in our own end, while creating more good chances of their own.

19. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Epic goal aside, has he showed enough to be back at the NT level? He's got steady numbers in his revs 2.0 stint but hasn't lit up MLS. Wood, Morris are both ahead of him on the depth chart IMO.

21. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I am not sure he deserves a call up at this point. I was just reacting to his tweet wondering if it meant he might get called up. Assuming it meant he had some kind of positive contact from USMNT.

The roster choices are a mystery to me:

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Tim Howard (Everton)

Defenders: Ventura Alvarado (Club America), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Monchengladbach), Matt Miazga (New York Red Bulls), Michael Orozco (Tijuana), Tim Ream (Fulham), Brek Shea (Orlando City)

Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Mix Diskerud (New York City FC), Jermaine Jones (New England Revolution), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), DeAndre Yedlin (Sunderland), Miguel Ibarra (Leon)

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Alan Gordon (LA Galaxy), Jordan Morris (Stanford), Bobby Wood (Union Berlin), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

22. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    after he was subbed off injured (thanks to Boswell's dirty play) his health is a question.

23. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't want to be Biswell the next time he plays against the Revs. I'm not a fans of "payback" actions but I think he's going to have a bit "X" on his back. IMO, there is absolutely no place in soccer for players who pull what he did.

a517dogg repped this.
  24. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a replay showing what happened? I've only seen Agudelo's own comments about it. Would be curious to watch it again.