2015 U20 Qualifying Roster

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Real Corona, Jun 27, 2013.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They didn't qualify for the U-20 WC through Asia's qualifying.

2. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    You can't jump from low level MLS straight to the top level (Bayern, ManU, Barca, etc...) without going through the likes of Sunderland or low level bundesliga clubs like Hertha (outside of very rare case like Tim Howard).

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Lifestyle, price tag on some of these players, salary, work permit obstacles, etc.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe you should read the whole post. Doesn't matter about their more players in top leagues. We have proven to be better than Japan through the different levels of international football. Do you want to disagree with that?

5. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2080 Tom Collingsworth, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    I think he'd be at his best in the role of deep lying playmaker. If he goes to NYCFC (as is expected) and Kreis still wants to play the diamond midfield, he would do well in the shuttler (LCM or RCM) role too.

So to answer your question specifically: a playmaking #6 or a ball circulating #8

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  6. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Note that three AFC teams made the quarterfinals of the last U20 WC, and the Iraq team that eliminated Japan in qualifying made it to the semis where they lost to Uruguay on penalties--qualifying out of Asia isn't a cakewalk.

That said, it seems like we've been hearing about how Japan has been pulling ahead of us for years now, ever since the era where they made the finals of the U20 Cup and Nakata went to Roma for big money. Hasn't happened yet.

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Can someone explain to me why Bradford Jamieson IV was picked for this roster? He looks way too raw and just doesn't seem to be currently that good of a player. Was there really not a single better forward than him?

Arce Jr. is another player who I thought didn't look good enough. Was there not a single better CM than him? I know he likely only made it because of a few injuries, but was he really the best player available even with the injuries or did Tab just pick him because he was familiar with him after giving him a few caps this cycle?

Donovan is the other player that really didn't impress me that much in this game. Was ball watching a few times, looks slow and doesn't look that big or strong of a defender. Why did he make this roster over Tommy Redding? What does Donovan have that Redding doesn't? Redding seems to have the advantage in professional experience, talent, potential, possibility to get experience for next cycle and just seems to be a better player. He was even the better player when they were playing side by side at CB for the US U-17's in 2013 U-17 WCQ.

Giggsy1986 repped this.
  8. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

If you're picking the best players available for this roster... Redding, Akale, and Saucedo are on the roster.....maybe they don't want to push the 97 class too far ahead of themselves... but I honestly have no idea.

9. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Jamieson is raw, no doubt, but I think Ramos likes his hustle and speed . Witness the play that resulted in the 2nd PK against Jamaica. Is he the best forward option? Probably not, but teams are not constructed on talent alone. I'll be interested to see what progress, if any, he makes this season with LAG II.

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  11. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The first line made me crack up: "From makeshift soccer fields in Albuquerque parks to immaculately groomed pitches in Jamaica."

12. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed that too. I'm guessing the reporter hasn't watched any of the games in Jamaica. :)

13. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe Albuquerque is filled with dirt lots :p

TheFalseNine and Winoman repped this.
  14. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Or has an incredible sense of sarcasm.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  15. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My apologies if that has already been discussed elsewhere, but now that we have qualified for the U-20 World Cup, do folks think that Julian Green and Rubio Rubin will be selected to the roster this summer? Both are age-eligible.

It's always a toss-up to project with guys who are already contributing to the senior national team. In 2007, Michael Bradley played in the U-20 World Cup that summer despite making the Gold Cup roster with our A-team. In 2009, Jozy Altidore and Freddy Adu did not play in the 2009 U-20 World Cup as both were making senior squads (Confederations Cup + WCQ rosters).

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Green is not eligible because he's essentially cap tied at this level to Germany.

olephill2 repped this.
  17. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, @Real Corona. I wasn't aware that the one-time switch could inhibit you from playing for a youth national team if you were already previously capped at that level for another country.

18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It isn't so much the level as the nature of the tournament. FIFA looks at all the U20 qualifying tournaments as part of the same competition. The UEFA U19 tournament serves as qualifying for the U20 World Cup.

19. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, he's essential cup tied to Germany for that tourney.

20. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we can get Rubin to the tourney, this team will be a force. He's a huge difference maker and can stick the ball in the back of the net, it's what this team is lacking badly, replace BJIV with Rubin and we breeze through qualifying....pretty excited to see our group, I think we can be pretty successful this year

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The U20 versus Gold Cup debate is relevant to 3 or 4 players on the roster. Rubin and Hyndman certainly as they've already been capped by the full USMNT. Also they're pretty good candidates for the Olympic roster that Klinsmann seems so interested in at the moment.

Zelalem is another in that debate. Hard to say with him.

22. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zelalem to the full Nats feels a bit Julian Green-ish to me. Zelalem may be a better prospect, but he's even younger than Green was and he still doesn't have the body of a man, which will make adjusting difficult. I think the U-20s would be a fine spot for Gedion.

23. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This is dead on. He's perfect to slice and dice kids his age. He still has to learn how to play with men though. He's shown in the games I've seen him play against full grown men--have truoble adapting his game to guys who cuold easily push him off the ball.

A midfield of Hyndman, Zelalem as the 8 and Junior Flores as the 10....wow.

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I agree with you, but this is Klinsmann we're talking about. He doesn't play by these kinds of rules. He'll call up an NCAA player. He'll call up an NASL player. He'll call up Julian Green to the World Cup squad based solely on potential. Therefore, I can easily see him calling Zelalem or one of these youngsters to the Gold Cup.

In fact, I'll go on record. Klinsmann will call Julian Green and one other U20 to the Gold Cup.

To be fair, I don't think it'll be Zelalem or Hyndman. There are youngish players like Trapp, Gil, Kitchen, etc. ahead of those two in the midfield queue.

Hence, the answer is Rubio Rubin. Both Green and Rubin will be on the Gold Cup roster.

Balerion repped this.
  25. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't argue against that. And Rubin will even deserve to be there!