2015 U20 Qualifying Roster

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Real Corona, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must black out all previous bad things........

2. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zach Pfeffer, I guess?

EDIT: And Marky Delgado. Forgot about him! Guess the central midfield's set.

3. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Acosta?

Cool Hand Luke repped this.
  4. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    I will say that I feel much better about the next cycle right now than I did about the 2013 cycle two years ago.

Kellyn Acosta, Marky Delgado, Rubio Rubin, Zach Pfeffer, Joel Sonora, Junior Flores, Amando Moreno, Romain Gall, Emerson Hyndman, Paul Arriola, Julian Green, Trevor Haberkorn, Matt Miazga, Kainoa Bailey, Ben Spencer

Tom Collingsworth and USAMEX10 repped this.
  5. YanksAreComing

Mar 1, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to keep things in perspective, Balerion did the first post of this thread in April 2011. Here were the guys mentioned. And of course, he did an awesome job, but its just illustrative of how much can and does change in two years.

GK
    Bernabe Magana Cisneros -- 1993 -- Pumas UNAM (Mexico)
    Cody Cropper -- 1993 -- Ipswich Town (England)
    Jon Kempin -- 1993 -- Sporting Kansas City
    Daniel Medina -- 1993 -- Tigres (Mexico)

Cropper the only real factor. Kempin had a few call ups, but not on qualifying or WC roster.

DF
    John Anthony Brooks -- 1993 -- Hertha Berlin (Germany)
    Sean Cunningham -- 1993 -- Molde FK (Norway)
    Hector Delgado -- 1993 -- Club America (Mexico)
    Jaime Frias -- 1993 -- C.D. Guadalajara (Mexico)
    Juan Pablo Ocegueda -- 1993 -- Tigres UANL (Mexico)
    Gonzalo Orozco -- 1993 -- Puebla (Mexico)
    Will Packwood -- 1993 -- Birmingham City (England)
    Danny Potts -- 1994 -- West Ham United (England)
    Ralph Smith -- 1994 -- Kaiserslautern (Germany)

Most viewed this as the strength of the team at the beginning of the cycle. Due to injuries (Packwood, Cunningham), nationality issues (Potts), and not being ready to commit (Brooks), we know what happened here. Ocegueda I thought underwhelmed big time.

MF
    Matthew Dunn -- 1994 -- FC Koeln (Germany)
    Luis Gil -- 1993 -- Real Salt Lake
    Joaquin Hernandez -- 1994 -- Indios de Ciudad Juarez (Mexico)
    Fabian Huerzeler -- 1993 -- Bayern Munich (Germany)
    Tyrone McCargo -- 1993 -- Greuther Fuerth (Germany)
    Zach Pfeffer -- 1995 -- Philadelphia Union
    Victor Pineda -- 1993 -- Chicago Fire
    Charles Renken -- 1993 -- Hoffenheim (Germany)

Gil and Pineda the only two factors. Renken was viewed as a potential centerpiece but I think only got called in for the first camp in Germany.

FW
    Kevin Hoyos -- 1993 -- Estudiantes (Argentina)
    Jerome Kiesewetter -- 1993 -- Hertha Berlin (Germany)
    Uvaldo Luna -- 1993 -- Tigres UANL (Mexico)
    Edward Martinez -- 1993 -- Club America (Mexico)
    Jack McBean -- 1994 -- Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jamie Reid -- 1994 -- Exeter City (England)
    Jesus Rochin -- 1994 -- Tigres UANL (Mexico)
    Omar Salgado -- 1993 -- Vancouver Whitecaps
    William Suedois -- 1993 -- LASK Linz (Austria)
    Jonathan Top -- 1993 -- FC Dallas

Kieswetter made qualifying. McBean and Top were called in multiple times but couldn't quite crack the roster. Salgado never got healthy which is a shame because we really could have used some size up top.

US U-17 team
    GK Fernando Pina -- 1994 -- (Houston)
    GK Kendall McIntosh -- 1994
    DF Andrew Souders -- 1994 -- (Columbus)
    DF Kellyn Acosta -- 1995 -- (Dallas)
    DF Nathan Smith -- 1994
    DF Mobi Fehr -- 1994 -- Tokyo Verdy (I guess?)
    DF Joe Amon -- 1994
    DF Zach Carroll -- 1994
    MF Matt Dunn -- 1994 -- FC Koeln (Germany)
    MF Esteban Rodriguez -- 1994
    MF Alejandro Guido -- 1994
    MF Marc Pelosi -- 1994
    MF Dillon Serna -- 1994 (Colorado)
    MF Tarik Salkicic -- 1994
    MF Jordan Allen -- 1995
    FW Alfred Koroma -- 1994
    FW Mario Rodriguez -- 1994
    FW Andrew Oliver -- 1994
    FW Jack McBean -- 1994 -- Los Angeles
    FW Paul Arriola -- 1995

McIntosh was the backup but was never seen in a competitive game. Acosta made WC team but didn't appear. Pelosi was a key figure until the injury. Serna made qualifying team. Rodriguez was the biggest factor from the U-17 team, and I don't think anyone saw that coming.

So out of the 50 guys mentioned, only 7 made the qualifying team, and 7 made the WC team.

ucraymond, Jamooky and Hararea repped this.
  6. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Hence my muted enthusiasm two years ago. The feeling compared to now is night and day.

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tab and US soccer might not have been aware about Hernandez, but Balerion was.

BALERION FOR HEAD COACH!!

8. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many of those guys have good first touch, vision and can pass very well? If none, then forget about it.:(

9. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I count 8 on the WC team, but the points stands.

Yep. We all like to talk about the U-17s and the guys in the professional ranks, but the rate of attrition is high in both. There's always a large contingent that comes out of the HS/DA/NCAA scene, which makes sense given the sheer numbers involved.

Plus, the U-17s are mainly just a bunch of kids who mediocre talent evaluators thought were good when they were 15. The overseas guys are just one of dozens in their academy, most of whom will fail. It's not a recipe for a high conversion rate.

I think it makes sense to look at top U-17s and prominently-placed overseas players as a starting point, but only if you are committed to thoroughly mining the ranks of the academy (earlier in the cycle) and NCAA (later in the cycle, as most U-20s matriculate). The "starting point" POV was the intent of my original post two years ago. If our original list (largely of U17s and Euro/Mex players) had more overlap with the U-20 team, I would take it as a sign that our U-20 coach was a very lazy scout.

YanksAreComing repped this.
  10. YanksAreComing

Mar 1, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There's also all the liga mx players who haven't gotten looked at for the u18s and future HGs we don't even know about yet to add on too Germerica's list...looks very promising. I'd expect this cycle having been introduced to the 433 system to get used to will help out a lot too.

12. YanksAreComing

Mar 1, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoops! Didn't know Joaquin Hernandez was Alonso Hernandez.

13. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    The goalkeeping depth for this cycle is drastically better compared to 2013. Steffen, Horvath, Marcinkowski, Caldwell, Castano are the top choices, and that's just right now

14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

His full name is Joaquin Alonso Hernandez Garcia. At the time, I only knew about him through the FeMexFut database, but now that he's made the first team it appears he often goes by his middle name.

15. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    More complete selection below...willing to take guesses on how many of what will become the Final 20 are listed here. As always, your answer will be saved for all posterity.

FW: Julian Green, Kosta Koukladas, Romain Gall, Ben Spencer, Amando Moreno, Paul Arriola, Benji Lopez, Rubio Rubin, Caleb Calvert, Jason Romero, Daniel Olea
    MF: Junior Flores, Joel Sonora, Marky Delgado, Emerson Hyndman, Kainoa Bailey, Russell Canouse, Kai Henkel, Zach Pfeffer, Omar Thompson, Chris Lema, Kellyn Acosta, Brian Iloski, Kris Scott
    DF: Jordan Allen, Matt Miazga, Trevor Haberkorn, John Requejo, Tommy Redding, Desevio Payne, Shaq Moore, Michael Amick, Suli Dainkeh
    GK: Zack Steffen, Ethan Horvath, Jeff Caldwell, JT Marcinkowski, Santiago Castano

16. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    As of right now, once again the defense looks weakest, at least from the standpoint of having many in a professional environment. As it is, Miazga is the only pro, although Acosta may end up playing in the back and Moore will probably have a pro deal by the end of the summer.

The midfield looks really deep - much deeper than in past years. Whether any of them develop into excellent pros is debatable, but there are a lot of them who are impressing for their current teams. Forward is similar, although perhaps not quite the depth yet.

All in all, I think any improvement in terms of how the next group of U-20s do will be dependent primarily on the quality of the coach and how many defenders get into pro systems and are actually developed.

17. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Any word on how Nicholas Gaitan is progressing at Boca Jrs?

Edit - Saw that he's played some with Albertson in the USSDA this season

18. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shouldn't this be named "Never too early?" :)

19. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I'm gonna try to follow the new U20 cycle. Sucks that by the time the next U20 World Cup gets here I'll be in my 30s.:(

20. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

Believe Per Big soccer he is no longer at Boca, something to do with improper paperwork? I believe he is back at Albertson and looking for a new club.

21. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
    It's fun to peer into future but its way to early to narrow down. 2 yrs at this age is an eternity. As Wenger says between 17-21 is the most stressful physically and mentally and those who traverse that period successfully will be top pros.

Arsenalkid700 repped this.
  22. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Of course there will be plenty of new names. It just gives us a decent starting point for what players are eligible for the next cycle.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Die KlinsMannschaft@klinsmannschaft2h
    One to watch for next U20 cycle: '96 defender Juan Espinoza (formerly of Chivas) is now with CF Monterrey

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Julian Green hat-trick against Regen:

Start around 3:00 mark for Green goodies...........

Pl@ymaker repped this.