2015 Season- Player Moves

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by BlueCrimson, Apr 10, 2015.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was at the Chicago Fire vs. Orlando, Open Cup game last week at Toyota Park. There was an Orlando City FC fan sitting behind me and we talked a little. Cervando Corrasco has been traded to Orlando from Kansas City and this fan thinks that if Orlando FC gets an NWSL franchise , Alex Morgan will come play in Orlando.

2. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Fans are funny.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Where did I read that Orlando City FC may be interested in a NWSL team?

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    A fan blog posted this on the 20th based on a conversation with OCSC brass at a game:
    http://otowns11.com/2015/07/20/orlando-city-likely-to-add-nwsl-womens-team/
    And then these two "official" reports came out the very next day:
    http://equalizersoccer.com/2015/07/21/orlando-city-sc-issues-statement-on-potential-nwsl-team/
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nation...lize-on-u-s--s-world-cup-title-213933319.html
    OCSC won't actually say they're in talks to get a NWSL team, but for all intents and purposes it seems like they're deep in the process.

5. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
  6. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's also talk of an Atlanta team. If there is expansion, I wouldn't think they'd add two teams in the same region. But who knows?

7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I kinda wish we hadn't brought up expansion in a player transfer thread, though I understand considering "trading Alex Morgan" easily evolves into "hey her husband got traded", (we have an expansion thread that's already covered most of the various expansion issues,) but I could easily see them putting two new teams in the same region at once - in fact, I could especially see it for an independently-owned team that would need the benefit of having a bus-able match.

8. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
  10. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Haha, I can't believe all they got was a second round pick from Seattle which could turn out to be 17th/18th over all.

- Also, I hope the 1st round pick we traded to Portland was ours and not the one from WNY.

holden repped this.
  11. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    The Seattle article says "Seattle’s 2016 first-round draft pick". Normally when it's not their original one it'll say "a 2016 first-round draft pick."

12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Seattle and Portland appear to have exchanged first round picks.

13. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the article: "Reign FC acquired the rights to Sanderson from the Boston Breakers in exchange for Seattle’s second-round draft pick in the 2016 NWSL Draft.'

WNY would not have needed to give up Mewis for Sanderson, then. Portland has Long, Zerboni, Shim, Farrelly (who Riley likes) and Heath in the midfield, and Morgan, Sinclair, Ayo, and Taylor up top. No gap for Sanderson to fill, whatsoever.

OTOH, there's this: Because Portland is the Evil Empire / Death Star / Black Hole for the league, everyone will play there!!!!!1!1!!!

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  14. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neener neener neener?

15. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I really don't get that tweet.

Where was the hate? All I saw was speculating even from the journalists. And believe me have have little love for that lot but I saw no hate. We in this forums did what fans do, we speculated the heck out of what little information we had. That's what invested fans do. Why would she think people were hating?

16. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I don't get her attitude during this whole thing. Not to turn this in to a gender thing... but her attitude seems a lot like that you'd see in male professional sports. I guess that's a sign of progress, though? :whistling:

17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even when she played for the Breakers, I didn't like her personality. She could be a real jerk.

18. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #bostonbreakersthreeyearplan

pressurecooker and holden repped this.
  19. RAMbunctious

RAMbunctious Member

Jul 19, 2011
    I don't get the whole let's bring back all the Philly Independence players back together again.

20. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing that Riley's thought is "It worked for me before, so it has to work again, right?" Yeah, the Independence got demolished by FCGP in Year 1, but they did take WNY all the way to penalties in Year 2.

I disagree with him, though. The game has taken quite a few steps forward even in the short time since his Independence days, and what worked for him then may not work for him now.

21. liesse00

liesse00 Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, this makes no sense. How did Boston only get a second rounder when Seattle flipped her for a first and a third. o_O

CoachJon repped this.
  22. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm thinking this is for next year; my gut says Zerboni hangs 'em up at the end of the season - marriage and step- mom- hood is in her future.

23. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may have to do with some of the commentary about her play during the WWC.

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By Seattle throwing in another 1st round pick of their own. The Reign essentially ended up with a 3rd round pick and a better positioned 1st round pick and gave up a 2nd round pick.

25. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    likely because she made it clear to boston that she wasn't going to play for them and wanted to be traded to portland.

i think they probably just had to take what was offered.